Battles in Italy Mega-Campaign: On to Rome

Discussion relating to Battles in Italy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby stevel40831 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:10 pm

enric wrote:(Sorry, I made a new topic by error)
We are trying to play on to Rome (last versions) but bizarre things happens:

- Italian units do not awake until turn 37 or by proximity. In fact, some western units are lost before they awake. The allied could ignore them, and advance to Palerm.

- Supply for german and italian is a so so big problem...

- On turn 10, retreating from all fronts, the 15 Panther has been put to sleep!! (maybe they were tired!).

- Same happened to some of Herman Goering units, they tried to scape from the Sicilian trap and reaching the embarkment port of Messina, they put themself to sleep, waiting turn 37 or the allies!!!.

I attach the images where it can be seen the sleeping units and the turn.

Enric -- there are so many versions/variants of OTR right now... could you specify which one you're playing? Thanks!

JSS -- I have just finished turn 8 on V1.04, so far units in the west have triggered properly, although there is one Italian division that is still "sleeping", which is ok as no one is near yet... so, haven't seen that problem in our match.

Regarding the supply problem comment, I'm playing the Axis side and don't see anything strange going on, just the normal struggles of playing the Germans.

In our match we have not hit turn 10 yet so have not seen the units that fall back asleep yet so can't comment on that but is sure looks disasterous!

Enric... maybe they're exhausted and fell "asleep" because you're retreating too fast -- they're not ready to get on the boats this early! :wink:

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out."

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
stevel40831
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby enric » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:55 am

Enric... maybe they're exhausted and fell "asleep" because you're retreating too fast -- they're not ready to get on the boats this early!

Sure, but without bullets, and oil, the best is try to go out, :(
enric
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Robjess » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:34 am

Playing the latest version of On to Rome! and I have an issue with the US Navy.. its now turn 21? and the US naval lanes have opened up.. but not all of the ships can proceed around the coast - is this intentional?
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby JSS » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:15 am

Robjess wrote:Playing the latest version of On to Rome! and I have an issue with the US Navy.. its now turn 21? and the US naval lanes have opened up.. but not all of the ships can proceed around the coast - is this intentional?

Yes, some ships sit out invading the mainland (same as D-Day divisions).
JSS
Site Admin

Postby stevel40831 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:15 pm

I'm on something like my 5th or 6th playing of OTR, the last 2 on the newest version. It seems that there is still some tweaking that needs to be done with the VPs, unless my lack of knowledge of the campaign is skewing my opinion....

In playing either side, it appears that the Allies don't really have to do a whole lot on the mainland to turn the victory level to Allied overwhelming. In a current game I am playing Axis and held both Palermo and Messina several turns into the "bonus" where you score 100 pts per turn. I conducted a nice orderly withdrawal towards Messina losing only an occasional unit. Got almost everyone out of Sicily with the last units departing around turn 33/34 or so.

My Allied opponent landed in the "heel" portion of the mainland and has creeped forward towards Taranto. On roughly turn 37 he captured Taranto and made an initial landing at Salerno where he captured the city itself. The battle for the mainland hasn't even started yet and he's already projected to win by something like 2,000 pts. I have played the Allies several times and felt that it was too easy to win as the VP hexes on the eastern side of the island are worth a ton of points to the Allies and are nearly impossible to defend as the Axis side due to the terrain being almost all clear.

Does anyone else have experiences that are similar. I have played the same opponent twice (switching sides) and we both feel it's still tilted pretty heavily towards the Allies. Maybe if the towns were less valuable it would help, or, maybe you only score pts if captured by a certain turn. As it is now, AA guns can scoop up many towns with no opposition as the Axis side is spread thin.

Great scenario though, although I'm getting crushed on points I am close to recapturing Salerno although, now that I've said that, who knows what will happen!

Steve

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out."

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
stevel40831
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby JSS » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:46 am

stevel40831 wrote:I'm on something like my 5th or 6th playing of OTR, the last 2 on the newest version. It seems that there is still some tweaking that needs to be done with the VPs, unless my lack of knowledge of the campaign is skewing my opinion....

In playing either side, it appears that the Allies don't really have to do a whole lot on the mainland to turn the victory level to Allied overwhelming. In a current game I am playing Axis and held both Palermo and Messina several turns into the "bonus" where you score 100 pts per turn. I conducted a nice orderly withdrawal towards Messina losing only an occasional unit. Got almost everyone out of Sicily with the last units departing around turn 33/34 or so.

My Allied opponent landed in the "heel" portion of the mainland and has creeped forward towards Taranto. On roughly turn 37 he captured Taranto and made an initial landing at Salerno where he captured the city itself. The battle for the mainland hasn't even started yet and he's already projected to win by something like 2,000 pts. I have played the Allies several times and felt that it was too easy to win as the VP hexes on the eastern side of the island are worth a ton of points to the Allies and are nearly impossible to defend as the Axis side due to the terrain being almost all clear.

Does anyone else have experiences that are similar. I have played the same opponent twice (switching sides) and we both feel it's still tilted pretty heavily towards the Allies. Maybe if the towns were less valuable it would help, or, maybe you only score pts if captured by a certain turn. As it is now, AA guns can scoop up many towns with no opposition as the Axis side is spread thin.

Great scenario though, although I'm getting crushed on points I am close to recapturing Salerno although, now that I've said that, who knows what will happen!

Steve

Here is an update that slashes Allied points very heavily. Victory levels not changed in this build. Let me know if this fixes what you're seeing.

Added more alert periods. Sounds like the Allies could dance around alerting the SS Pz Korps because the points were too easy.
Attachments
OTR_v105_12Feb06.zip
(98.49 KiB) Downloaded 877 times
Last edited by JSS on Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Joe » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:11 am

The issue of "units that go back to sleep" has it been addressed?

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:00 pm

Joe wrote:The issue of "units that go back to sleep" has it been addressed?

-

Good catch. Problem is now solved in OTR v1.05 (no partial evolution from It to Ge OOB). Also this version wakes up all Axis units on turn 22.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Noakesy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:14 pm

Is it possible to update the scenario whilst in mid-game JSS? I've got a couple of these going, in the 20-25 turn mark (hopping back across the straits with the allies waiting is a little distressing), and would rather not abandon them if this is not an essential patch (or if it is one that would disrupt the game)?
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:10 pm

No you cant really upgrade mid game.. are you experiencing some bugs in our game? If so we can start again..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Noakesy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:14 pm

Nope, no bugs at all Rob, just wondered whether it was possible or important to update the game. :wink:
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby CESteman » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:20 am

Jss- The patch you have posted above doesn't work for me. I put the file in it's own folder until an official patch is released but the game crashes to the desktop with an error. Should I just put all the files in the V1.04 folder instead? Thanks.
Christian
Image ImageImageImage
CESteman
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby JSS » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:31 am

CESteman wrote:Jss- The patch you have posted above doesn't work for me. I put the file in it's own folder until an official patch is released but the game crashes to the desktop with an error. Should I just put all the files in the V1.04 folder instead? Thanks.
Christian

If it crashes to desktop when opening then you dont have the files in the right place. You should have an OTRv105 folder one level down from Battles in Italy... same directory level as your v104 folder.
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Robjess » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:39 am

Version 1.05 has been uploaded to the SSG Scenario Page.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby CESteman » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:38 am

Thanks Rob and JSS I will download it right now :)
Christian
Image ImageImageImage
CESteman
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Italy Public Discussion