War in Europe - June 1941 Released!

Discussion relating to Battles in Italy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

War in Europe - June 1941 Released!

Postby Robjess » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:42 pm

Without much fanfare, the monster scenario War in Europe - June 1941 is now available in Beta format. The only reason we have listed it as a beta release is because we know out of all of the scenarios that we have released to date - we expect to make some changes to this one based upon your feedback. So we dont want anyone to be under any illusion that this is a final release - but nor should you be put off by its Beta status either. This one one great scenario.

For more information go to the scenario download page - everything you need to know is there:

http://www.ssg.com.au/Run5/scenarios/Europe.htm

Special thank you goes to Lord Chaos for his great job on the OOB. I make this map and started work on this scenario quite a while ago whilst we were testing Battles in Italy. I then shelved it thinking that the task I had set for myself was way too hard and my brain decided to meltdown at the thought of trying to put an OOB together. And then along came Lord Chaos (who incidently at first offered up his experience to help on what he thought would be simply a Barbarossa scenario!) and he managed to get the OOB to where it is now.

So I take my hat off to him and thank him for helping us finally get this product to where it is now.

I encourage you all to download and play this scenario - but you should be aware of the following first:

- This scenario is H U G E it will run slower on your machine then any other DBWWII scenario - we cant help that! But defragging your hard drives has shown that it does improve load times considerably. Note that it does take some time for the combat advisor to come on and off.. so dont assume your PC has died, just give it a little while to do it stuff - there are many many units and calculations it needs to make.

- Be aware of the House Rules (listed in the Readme file and House Rules files). Dont be scared to agree upon your own house rules with your opponent.

- This scenario is very addictive!

- We want your feedback and would be very interested to hear how your games are progressing or end up - this feedback is invaluable in helping us to refine the scenario and make it better. But please limit your feedback to what really counts.. does it really matter if Paris should be 15 hexes away from Berlin rather then 14? This is a game not a history lesson or a road map.

- Appreciate the time that has gone into making this. Lord Chaos and myself have each put in many many many solid hours to get it to this point (I estimate over 100 work hours easily!).

- And finally, we encourage other people to use this battleset to make their own scenarios and variants - and if you do please share them with us all!

Thanks.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:45 pm

Ok - so who wants a PBEM game? :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby azcat » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:38 pm

Count one more person buying BiI. I can resist no longer.
"When I am King you will be first against The Wall." - Radiohead
azcat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Arckon » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:03 pm

Downloading now,
and would certainly be interested in a PBEM game.
Arckon
Captain
Captain

Postby Robjess » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:12 pm

OK good.. who do you wanna be Axis or Allies?
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Arckon » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:01 pm

Just loaded it up to have a look and all I can say is my comment of Superb in the AAR post does not even go close.

Suuuperrb

Am not fussed which side are we going to play 1:1 or go a multi-game, either/or is fine by me.
Arckon
Captain
Captain

41 june

Postby lord_chaos45 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:28 pm

Hope everyone enjoys this scenario as I spent alot of time and effort trying to get things close to right with the OOB and movement rates.

If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to comment.
lord_chaos45
Sergeant
Sergeant

War in Europe Scenario

Postby scout1 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:43 am

Downloaded and ran 1/2 turn. Absolutely OUTSTANDING ! :D :D :D
Can't wait to get a pbem going on this one ......

How big are the save game files ?
scout1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby benpark » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:32 am

Awesome, simply awesome. Great job guys, and thanks. I'll try a PBEM after soloing it once for a few turns to get the house rules down, and just to marvel at it.
benpark
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Robjess » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:28 am

PBEM files are very small - less then 100k.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby scout1 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:39 am

Robjess wrote:PBEM files are very small - less then 100k.

Excellent !
scout1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Sgt. Pepper » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:50 am

Rob, thanks for all the hard work. All I can say is :shock: and :D
Sgt. Pepper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: 41 june

Postby krrpt » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:21 am

Just of curiosity, what source(s) did you use to build the OOB?
krrpt
New Recruit

sources

Postby lord_chaos45 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:26 am

Sources came from other games, with losts of adjustments being made for the way DB plays. Plus also from some websites online, and a book called Hitlers legions and a couple other books on operations I have sitting around.

I tried to make the OOB about what it should be by crossreferencing as much as possible. As being that my library is limited and this was a free project it most likely isnt 100% historical. With money and time it could be done much better im sure. Im just hoping that it comes out close to historical.
lord_chaos45
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby michl » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:36 am

Hi Robjess:

Just bought BiI only because of "War in Europe" (WiE?) It looks amazing and can't wait to play my first pbem!

Thansk a lot for all your hard work!

Michael
Image Image ImageImageImageImageImage
michl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Next

Return to Battles in Italy Public Discussion