Battles in Italy AAR

Discussion relating to Battles in Italy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Allied AAR for 20 July 1943 (turn 11)

Postby JSS » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:43 am

20 July 1943 -- Turn 11

Following a day of rest and refit, the stage is now set to begin decisive operations. II (US) Corps will push North of Enna and cut the island in half. Provisional US Corps will push North to Palermo. Combined with the Commonwealth Forces pinning the panzer arm in place, a flanking movement on the extreme Western sector should prove highly successful.

American Forces

German forces remain back opposite the provisional corps. 3d ID is now ready to resume the offensive (another day of rest would have been ideal but Patton insists they attack now!). Given the open space along the Western coastline, a provisional armored cavalry regiment is formed. They will conduct reconnaissance in force operations to the West. An engineer group will support them and secure their supply lines.

II (US) Corps identifies advance elements of 29th Panzer Grenadier Division moving into place North of Enna overnight. A displacement attack will be launched in the morning to prevent them from getting fully entrenched.

The Provisional Corps moves out smartly and engages a strong defending position. A full corps level attack is launched. The attack is successful; it inflicts heavy Italian casualties but comes at a high price (2 die attack with A3-D2R result).

II (US) Corps moves out along the road to the North and engages a panzer blocking force. 29th Pz Gd Division is tied down but cannot be dislodged at this time.

By nightfall the US units report the following tactical situation:

US Provisional Corps

II (US) Corps

Commonwealth Forces

Commonwealth Forces resume the attack toward Catania, dislodging defenders and inflicting heavy casualties. Pressure here will tie down both HG Pz Div and 15th Pz Gd Div.

All the Allied interdiction support is applied directly North of the Commonwealth attack. This will slow down any counterattack ideas FM von Twinkle might have…(right???)

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Twinkle » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:30 pm

Axis turn 11 report

JSS is doing a terrific good work of concentrating most of his forces on two vulnerable positions, i.e. roads going up towards Palermo, while still keeping up pressure around Catania... Well knowing that I need to keep a large force in that plain terrain area in order to keep it safe... I am slowly contemplating optional strategies... But it always come down to VP’s in the end, and it seems like I get a lot more VP’s holding Palermo as long as possible so I will slowly shift over forces and more or less give up on defending the 350 very hard to get VP’s worth of Catania in favour of holding Palermo some extra turns.

Maps below show situatiation at the early phases of my turn, I have only moved some forces south of Catania as I MUST COUNTERATTACK, because of the last enemy attack that took out two of my combat steps without paying anything. Such a thing is not acceptable.

My attack on the dangerous 10+ - 1 CRT for plain terrain is quite successful as I hit a '5' which results in A1-D3. A second opportunity opens up as the enemy retreat during the first attack, his once proud brigade in total disorder. I find a 3 step brigade boosted by an AT unit in a good spot for my second attack, and get another '5' on the 7 – 1 CRT which reduce the enemy by two more steps. Altogether 5 steps for the cost of 1.

My current problem is to decide how far I will withdraw as I still hold some hilly terrain that I am reluctant to let go of. Okidoki, as you can see on the maps below just a slight retreat south of Catania.

Below is the defence against the Yanks, with big holes as you can see... I hope it will hold long enough and cost JSS some troops.

And let it just be noted that I am seriously thinking about pulling back a bit more and invite my enemy to a real slugfeast on the plains...

Cheers
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Allied Report for 21 July 1943 (turn 12)

Postby JSS » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:03 pm

21 July 1943 -- Turn 12

Reports coming in overnight are mixed. US Forces report a continued withdrawl of Italian units while fragmented reports of another debacle are received from Eighth (BR) Army.

American Forces

The provisional corps pushes both West and North. 3d ID moves to infiltrate the Italian lines. 2d Armored Division forms up in attack positions to conduct offensive operations on 22 July (next turn). The provisional armored cavalry regiment reports no opposition while conducting reconnaissance to the West.

II (US) Corps continues to push Northward. An Italian infantry regiment has moved into place to anchor the German flank. It is hit hard but 1st ID suffers heavy casualties in the attempt (A2-D1). Efforts to dislodge 29th Pz Gd Division are unsuccessful and now it must be held in place.

Commonwealth Forces

Commonwealth Forces manage to tie down the German Panzer arm extraordinarily well. The means, perhaps, are not justifying the ends as during the German counterattack two brigade level formations become completely disorganized. Eighth (BR) Army will be lucky if either are again able to conduct combat operations during the Sicilian campaign.

Campaign Comparison

Here is a map from the US Center of Military History showing the historical progress during the Sicilian campaign. The four green lines depict Allied progress in the game (after turns 3, 6, 9, and 12).

JSS
Site Admin

Re: Allied AAR for 20 July 1943 (turn 11)

Postby Joe » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:45 pm

JSS wrote:...advance elements of 29th Panzer Grenadier Division moving into place North of Enna overnight. A displacement attack will be launched in the morning to prevent them from getting fully entrenched.

What is a "displacement attack" in the context of the game?

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Allied AAR for 20 July 1943 (turn 11)

Postby JSS » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:48 pm

Joe wrote:
What is a "displacement attack" in the context of the game?

DR combat result :D

...or surround until isolated :twisted:
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Twinkle » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:33 am

Axis turn 12 report

Another turn of excellent ‘cut off supplies’ interdiction by JSS... (see below), this will start our cat and mouse game of interdictions vs. triple A. :)

However, doing this anti-supply interdiction is slightly dangerous as it allows for quick movement back and forth on the Catania plains so maybe some opportunities for counterattacks on the bloodied Commonwealth forces. One or two more successful attacks on them might just be enough for putting them out of play.

As you can see, not much but short retreats for some units defending the approaches towards Palermo, the city has a high VP point which in my opinion is very realistic as it is the major city on the island and thus an important goal for capture

Back to the plains... lot of troop’s moves back and forth, and even HG units take parts in the attack down south. The opportunity attack that I will take is against a depleted infantry brigade (1 step), an untested armoured brigade (3 steps, dug-in) and a lone artilleryman dug-in, so no overrun. :( Arrgh... this is dangerous, why do I do this thing? I can get a 7-1 attack with no shock advantage, and the thing is that a ‘2’ results in a A2-D2. Remaining results are good as I can take a A1 loss.

The attack goes in ‘NOT’, discovered that I forgot to move up some artillery that turns this into a 10-1 attack with 50% probability of killing something, as well as likely to hurt my attackers a lot. The attack goes in with a ‘6’, resulting in A1-D3 and one less infantry brigade plus a lot of burnt out tank wrecks.

This is the end turn situation after the successful attack.

Cheers
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Allied Report for 22 July 1943 (Turn 13)

Postby JSS » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:02 am

22 July 1943 -- Turn 13

Another strong counterattack against the Commonwealth Forces has Monty fuming. A different approach will have to be taken…

American Forces

In the West, Italian forces have pulled back. An opportunity to turn the Axis flank and encircle a number of units presents itself.

The provisional corps pushes hard both West and North. The corps will attempt to maintain full contact while sending its provisional armored cavalry regiment forward in a flanking maneuver. The pullback results in the big attack by 2d Armored Division being put off a day.

II (US) Corps sees the opportunity to split the Axis defense. Weak opposition on its Western flank will be probed hard.

A weak Italian unit screening the US boundary between corps quickly surrenders and allows a significant operational phase to begin.

A strong Italian unit, which displaced away from 1st ID yesterday, is now hit in the flank by 509th Parachute Infantry Battalion… further disorganization is caused (*-D1). II (US) Corps is having a great deal of trouble pushing supply up its one supply route. Air interdiction and nearby ground forces are causing a great deal of interruption. The lack of supply is preventing exploitation of the gaps in the German lines (units infiltrating German lines would be at risk of becoming isolated during a single counterattack).

In order to get 1st and 45th Infantry Divisions supplied properly, supply assets will be taken from the provisional corps. (Note: The US II Corps supply truck bursts supply using leg movement mode… its gets supply thru in the mountains. The US Seventh Army supply truck bursts supply in supply movement mode…it does very poorly off road in the mountains. So, the supply trucks will switch areas they’ve been supporting).

Commonwealth Forces

The loss of a brigade has left Commonwealth Forces temporarily unable to conduct further offensive operations. Regrouping is in order yet again. Still, like the Phoenix rising from the flames, measures will be started now to send XXX (BR) Corps thru the Western end of the island where the US provisional cavalry corps is reporting limited opposition.

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Twinkle » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:34 pm

Axis turn 13 report

A defensive turn... I have to pull back a little bit around Mezzoiuso and that is that.

VP situation at turn 13 is as follow... the 18 kills that the allied forces have got are worth 198 VP’s, while the 8 kills I got are worth 284 VPs. I have in addition received 125 VPs for holding objectives, and JSS 18 VPs for busting forts. All in all adding up to 409 vs. 208 VPs scored so far. So this is not a scenario of great amount of VPs, which make the city of Palermo a main focus for both sides. The city activates on turn 7 and gives 10 VPs per turn until turn 12 as it increases to 25 VPs per turn. However, the main turning point VP wise come at turn 16 as the axis start to score 100 VPs per turn. Something which is very hard to make up by killing Axis units, even though a couple for sure is needed to be sacrificed holding Palermo.

My Palermo commitment is pretty serious as I have 12-14 units that ultimately will be moved down by the enemy, hard thing is to not lose to much as that will give the allied commander a free northern approach towards Messina. Hint! Axis player can easily run out of troops to cover the whole front if he is to ambitious. I will probably pull back around Catania as the ship bombardment break lose, and hopefully be able to push around my troops so that they cover and hold all approaches towards Messina. BTW, the troops assigned to die around Palermo are worth approximately 200 VPs.

End of turn maps below... btw, I used a magic wand and HG disappears from the front, a quite nice force to have in a reserve position :)

Cheers
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby sorcerer » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:46 pm

All those strongpoints around Catania..can they be destroyed by the bombardment?

And if so..why have you just placed a new stronpoint on the town hex at Paterno?
Image Image Image Image Image Image
sorcerer
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:11 pm

sorcerer wrote:All those strongpoints around Catania..can they be destroyed by the bombardment?

And if so..why have you just placed a new stronpoint on the town hex at Paterno?

#1 yes all forts around Catania will be bombed to cinders but it will take some time and divert efforts from interdiction further north...

#2 I hope his navy guns cannot reach that hex. I have no clue at all about the range of his guns and so on, preferring not to check that before I play... (it was a long time since I beta-tested this scenario). I gain a supply location if the fort is out of gun range. :)

best regards
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:14 pm

Twinkle wrote:
sorcerer wrote:All those strongpoints around Catania..can they be destroyed by the bombardment?

#1 yes all forts around Catania will be bombed to cinders but it will take some time and divert efforts from interdiction further north...

#2 I hope his navy guns cannot reach that hex. I have no clue at all about the range of his guns and so on, preferring not to check that before I play... (it was a long time since I beta-tested this scenario). I gain a supply location if the fort is out of gun range. :)

best regards
/twinkle ;)

The forts around Catania cannot be bombarded until the sealane expands, which I believe is on turn 18 or 19. The furthest naval guns can reach until then is Siracusa.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Allied Report for 23 July 1943 (Turn 14)

Postby JSS » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:01 am

23 July 1943 -- Turn 14

Seventh US Army continues to press forward toward Palermo. Commonwealth forces spend another day resting and refitting. A British division is pulled from the lines to reorganize and to form the vanguard of XXX Br Corps.

American Forces

The pullback of Italian forces continued overnight. A weak mechanized screening force is encountered on the extreme Western flank. They are more than willing to give up the fight.

The provisional corps talks Patton out of giving up its supply assets. They cite the need to support the big attack by 2d Armor Division and promise to support the lead elements of II (US) Corps too!

2d Armor Division gets back into action… but more in support of 3d Infantry Division! Maneuver in the mountainous region is extremely difficult.

II (US) Corps receives supplies for the airborne brigade task force on its boundary with the Provisional Corps. The airborne task force hits the battered Italian regiment holding the German flank.

Unfortunately Axis air interdiction prevents supply from reaching the infantry regiments of II (US) Corps… their penetration attack will have to be postponed for another day. Patton is furious!

By nightfall a favorable situation exists across Seventh US Army’s frontline:

Cavalry forces reports no significant opposition and XXX Br Corps begins to move into position.

The US Provisional Corps prepares to breakthrough the thin crust of resistance.

II (US) Corps will get the extra supply assets tomorrow (Patton is adamant!) to enable the German lines to be breached (multiple penetrations of the gaps).

Commonwealth Forces

Nothing significant to report from Second Br Army (other than the previously noted activation of XXX Br Corps along the Western coast).

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Twinkle » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:56 pm

Axis turn 14 report

I defend!!! And a new threat have been discovered as JSS's flanking attack towards Palermo gets a bit close. :(

HG is put into action... a short rest!

And things remain calm around Catania...

Cheers
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Allied Report for 24 July 43 (Turn 15)

Postby JSS » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:36 am

24 July 1943 -- Turn 15

For a second straight day Seventh US Army is able to press forward toward Palermo. Once the II US Corps supply situation is fixed there should be a collapse of resistance in all areas that Patton surveys. Commonwealth forces have sufficiently recovered to resume limited offensive operations. These are intended to tie down and attrite the German forces in sector. Lead elements of a fresh British division will arrive in the morning; they will round out XXX Br Corps.

Seventh US Army

Starting Situation

Resistance in front of both XXX Br Corps and the Provisional Corps is negligible.

II US Corps is held back yet another day by lack of supply; this situation will be corrected by the next morning.

Operations Reports

XXX Br Corps repairs the road network in its sector and moves combat forces forward.

The Provisional Corps runs into something new. A well prepared line of bunkers. Fortunately there is a relatively weak Italian contingent occupying them. Armor and engineers are brought forward to support 3d ID and the bunker complex is quickly cleared. If a strong force had occupied the bunkers, it would have been a very formidable obstacle. This does not bode well for II US Corps if they should encounter German troops in a similar complex.

By nightfall the Provisional Corps is in a favorable position for continued offensive operations. Now if II US Corps can start moving…

Here is a detailed look at why II US Corps cannot get supply forward. The constant Axis interdiction of Enna completely shuts down supply to 1st ID and 45th ID.

Little is accomplished this day by II US Corps as it awaits the additional support assets needed to crack the German line. The supply units relocate to place the best assets for mountainous terrain nearer to II US Corps. Their impact will be seen in the morning.

Commonwealth Forces

Second Br Army launches one limited attack. It comes very close to being yet another debacle (note the damage that a pair of 3 dice would have caused!)

End of the day sees no change in the tactical situation in front of the Commonwealth Forces.

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Twinkle » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:24 pm

Axis turn 15 report

I am defending and hardly moves anything at all as no supplies reach my troops in vicinity of Palermo, so they may just as well stand (and die?) in their positions for another turn as I hope that the gruesome enemy have less air interdictions for use during coming days. My own proud Luftwaffe controls the skies and interdicts the approaches towards Palermo. It is apparently so that the enemy air force cannot fly missions during lunch hours, are a bit sleepy in the mornings as well as a bit afraid of dark evenings... :)

One of my units south of Catania was hit hard loosing two steps and are thus placed in a R&R position. BTW; note how I every single turn fight over the ground in front of my positions. It is an essential part of a successful defence to deny the enemy from entrenching in a hex that they attack from. Must keep my opportunities for overrun counterattacks...

Some stats...

Losses: 19 axis units for a cost of 214 VPs and 8 allied units for a cost of 284 VPs.
Objectives: 175 VPs to axis.
Fortresses: 23 VPs to allied.
Dicing: axis average is 3.57 while allied average is 3.75.
Axis: 1 '1s', 5 '2s', 4 '3s', 2 '4s', 5 '5s', 2 '6s'
Allied: 7 '1s', 7 '2s', 12 '3s', 10 '4s', 7 '5s', 13 '6s'

Maps below are from end of turn...

Cheers
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Italy Public Discussion