Battles in Italy AAR

Discussion relating to Battles in Italy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Twinkle » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:08 am

Axis turn 28 report

I continue to move back to my safe haven and the first unit is shipped over. All remaining units have plenty of OPs and room for maneuver so I don’t expect to lose any more units before the end of this bloody month...

Best regards
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Joe » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:29 am

Question for JSS:

You sensibly separated the British and US armies for the campaign.

I wonder, in the latter part, if you had concentrated the best of the British and the best of the US troops together, do you think you might have broken through?

As for naval support, can the US ships go to the east coast? Can the British ships go to the north coast?

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:03 pm

Joe wrote:Question for JSS:

I wonder, in the latter part, if you had concentrated the best of the British and the best of the US troops together, do you think you might have broken through?

As for naval support, can the US ships go to the east coast? Can the British ships go to the north coast?

-

maybe I can reply... the US and British troops cannot support each other (as opposed to German/Italy) so it would not have worked. Regarding naval support... I think the correct answer is NO, but hey... easy to check, just turn on the game. I cannot as I am stuck at my office. :(
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby JSS » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:04 pm

Joe wrote:Question for JSS:

-

By the latter stages its too late. Once the great pullback started the lines became impossible to breach.

Concentrating the forces would have had to happen early in the game... this wouldn't be true concentrating of forces anyway (US and CW units can't take part in same attack). An earlier move of XXX Br Corps to the Western side of the island might have been decisive.

Navy was a non-factor for me (you see the advance limits). A little too late they contributed greatly to the final take down of both Palermo and Catania...
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Allied Turn Report for 7 Aug 43 (Turn 29)

Postby JSS » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:06 pm

7 August 1943 -- Turn 29

Axis defenders have pulled even further still... Probably already escaping thru Messina.

Starting Situation

Here is a quick look at what the Allied invaders see as they move to fully occupy Sicily.

Operations Reports

Movement is very difficult… lack of Reserve OPs, difficult terrain, and Axis interference…

End of Day Positions

Monty sends a positive note that the entire island will be occupied in another 4-5 days… (after the Germans have completed evacuating it!).

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Twinkle » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:44 pm

Axis turn 28 report

and a bit more retreating as I want to save strength for next phase of this battle... (no end turn screenshot)

Best regards
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Final Allied Turn Report

Postby JSS » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:48 pm

8 August 1943 -- Turn 30

Congratulations to Herr Twinkle for another excellent game. This game ends with a Marginal Axis victory.

My quick analysis of the game results shows the following critical mistakes:

1. Reached Palermo way too late. Underlying causes:

a. Twinkle defended well;

b. Early game movement was not done correctly (alerted Axis forces on turn 2 and did not move in Northwesterly direction early enough);

c. Supply distribution was handled poorly early on. This prevented exploiting the Axis lines until it was too late.

2. Attack on Catania was mismanaged. Underlying causes:

a. Twinkle defended exceptionally well here;

b. Movement was rushed. This ended in the CW reaching Catania slower than it needed to be. Also resulted in losses (step and units) that were preventable and inverted the attacker-defender role in an unacceptable way.

3. Naval assets contributed little… Not much to say here.

End of Game Positions

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Noakesy » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:22 pm

A really good AAR. I've only been on this forum/PBEM for a few months, and it sees quite a number of AARs fade after a few turns (understandably of course :) ), but this one went through to the bitter end (for JSS anyway). I've seen JSS's notes about "what I could have done better", presumably Twinkle doesn't think he could have done anything better??? I'd be interested to know.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:27 pm

JSS; thanks a lot for a well fought game... I consider it a bit lucky that my gamble to rush the 15th PzGr from west to east succeeded, because they were surely key factor in defending against all the early heavy combat south of Catania. Something that I on occasion did mismanage was my own air interdiction, reading this AAR (which has been 5-8 turns behind real action) made me realise the impact air interdiction has on any allied units that enters rough hard-going terrain. Another thing to think of before next battle is the defence of Palermo which really didn’t work as well as I hoped. I probably stayed around Catania too long time and that had a negative impact on the Palermo defence.

Regards
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Twinkle » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:27 pm

Noakesy wrote:I've seen JSS's notes about "what I could have done better", presumably Twinkle doesn't think he could have done anything better??? I'd be interested to know.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Noakesy » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:40 pm

Well, I just thought I'd ask :D I know you won, but maybe you thought you could have won more convincingly. :wink:
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby sorcerer » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:11 pm

Yeh I was surprised it was only a marginal Axis victory especially after all that Brit bashing and your good defense.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
sorcerer
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby JSS » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:20 pm

sorcerer wrote:Yeh I was surprised it was only a marginal Axis victory especially after all that Brit bashing and your good defense.

Consider the following points from a historical perspective:

1. ...of the 42 kills, 41 were Italian units... the Italian Army on Sicily was crushed (not good!).

2. ...historical campaign took 39 days to reach its bitter end for the Germans... this game is well on pace to match that timeline... so all of Sicily is lost to the Axis (not good!).

...finally in historical perspective this is happenning just as the German Armee at Kursk is becoming bogged down and stalled in the East.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Twinkle » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:58 pm

Noakesy wrote:Well, I just thought I'd ask :D I know you won, but maybe you thought you could have won more convincingly. :wink:

My personal view is that it is quite hard to get a more convincing win as German player. The allied side has all the tools needed to keep up with the historical timeline, and JSS is a good player.
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Gregor Whiley » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:39 am

Congratulations to JSS and Twinkle for a great AAR, it was well played and well written. Articles like this really help to both explain and promote the game, so thanks are due to the guys for all their hard work.

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Italy Public Discussion