Battles in Italy AAR

Discussion relating to Battles in Italy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Fantassin » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:27 am

:D Thanks for this splendid AAR, very interesting and entertaining too. Keep up the good work guys !
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:49 pm

Axis turn 20 report

Not much happens from my part... It is basically up to the enemy commander to break my defense so little to report... and (sorry!) I forgot to take any screenshots... Anyway, Palermo will hold for some more turns as JSS got rid of two strongholds but could not zap any supplies from my besieged troops. A major VP deciding thing will be that I have managed to hold Palermo for so long, something I attribute to me playing this scenario more then JSS during testing. It is now a matter of retreating towards Messina in an orderly fashion, just like the Axis troops did 62 years ago.

Best regards
/twinkle :)

P.S. sorry about this not too splendid report of turn 20... but more screenshots from remaining turns.
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Allied Report for 30 July 1943 (turn 21)

Postby JSS » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:46 am

30 July 1943 -- Turn 21

Seventh US Army will begin clearing Palermo while its II US Corps will maintain contact with the main Axis defense line. Commonwealth forces will consolidate control the plain and prepare for another round of bridge crossings. Both II US Corps and CW forces attacking across the Catania Plain will attempt limited objectives today… the two corps clearing Palermo are badly needed in the East.

Seventh US Army

Starting Situation

Fortress Palermo will be cleared block by block in what may prove to be bitter street fighting. No change in the tactical situation overnight.

II US Corps will continue to maintain contact with the withdrawing Axis defenders.

Operations Reports

The Provisional Corps and XXX Br Corps pound Palermo hard. US Naval task force arrives and begins heavy bombardment at 0900. Three large scale assaults are made during the day…

A sector of the city is cleared and captured enemy personnel report being short of both food and ammunition.

II US Corps assaults a weak position in the Axis line… First attack at 7-1 odds is called off when no progress is made (*-* result)… Patton demands a second push…

Along the Northern coastline II US Corps repairs the road network. By the end of 30 Jul it gains and maintains contact across its front.

Commonwealth Forces

Starting Situation

Commonwealth Forces report no counter attacks and gain control of key terrain on the Catania Plain.

Operations Reports

A second river line is prepared for movement as a new set of bridges are repaired and a bunker complex is cleared.

Forces are staged to attempt complete control of the Plain tomorrow.

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Twinkle » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:16 pm

Axis turn 21 report

I defend and Palermo should hold at least one more turn... i.e. so far so good! :) :D

Below are dramatic views from the battle moving closer to Messina... note how I make great strategic decisions sacrificing some armored battalions (It)... the lack of fuel is just coincidental.

north area, start of turn

north area, end of turn

south area, start of turn

south area, end of turn

Best regards
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Allied Report for 31 July 1943 (Turn 22)

Postby JSS » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:28 pm

31 July 1943 -- Turn 22

Seventh US Army clearing operations at Palermo will be redoubled as the remainder of 9th US ID is available to arrive at Palermo… if the port is secure. II US Corps will have to regain contact with the main Axis defense line as yet another pullback is reported. Commonwealth forces will push for complete control of the plain.

Seventh US Army

Starting Situation

An all out effort to take Fortress Palermo and the port is ready to go. Casualties are to be disregarded and the attack pressed home until the port is secured for the arrival 9th ID.

II US Corps must regain contact with the withdrawing Axis defenders today. Only token resistance is identified.

Operations Reports

The Provisional Corps and XXX Br Corps pound Palermo. The gunfire from US Naval task force is breaking down resistance everywhere before the US Provisional Corps. Palermo falls! Only a small band of SS fanatics offers up a fight after the initial assault goes in.

II US Corps finds only a lightly defended bunker complex and some Italian tanks crews without fuel or the will to fight… Still despite the light opposition, contact is nearly impossible to regain in the mountains. Bridges are repaired along the Northern Coast.

Commonwealth Forces

Starting Situation

Again the Germans have opted not to risk a counterattack overnight.

Operations Reports

With all the necessary bridges repaired and properly secured, the XIII Br Corps turns its attention to clearing the minefields before Catania. A strong engineering force, backed up by the heavy weapons shown below, clear their way thru about 1/3 of the minefield belt. They also capture observation point personnel from two strong Axis units…

Forces are staged to clear more minefield depth tomorrow and reconnaissance is reporting that it may be possible to launch a flanking attack on Catania’s defenders.

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Twinkle » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:14 am

Axis turn 22 report

The battlefield is from here on concentrated to the NE corner of Sicily, and while the main battle is finished (a big win!) some additional days will be spent slowly moving backwards and start ferrying troops over to the mainland. it is really not much to write about as I do not expect to make a single attack during the remaining turns.

The map below shows the supply situation directly after the fall of Palermo... and it is actually quite bothersome that most are in yellow (no reinforcements allowed) so a bit of reshuffling is needed in order to place the triple-A at optimum locations.

Best regards
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:47 am

I've got a question to ask, when i play Husky/Avalanche i realise there are ALERT units. I search the maps high and Low to see if there are Alert Reinforcement Objectives but there are none....
Does this mean that they never take part in the battle? Or is there something so like if the Allies take a Major objectives they will be activated (hidden points)?

Postby JSS » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:07 pm

WachtamRhein wrote:I've got a question to ask, when i play Husky/Avalanche i realise there are ALERT units. I search the maps high and Low to see if there are Alert Reinforcement Objectives but there are none....
Does this mean that they never take part in the battle? Or is there something so like if the Allies take a Major objectives they will be activated (hidden points)?

Alert units are not part of the Husky scenario. If you look closely you can see that the scenario was easily built up to 39 turns (a la the free landing variant). What you see are preset variables to allow a scenario designer to add new features if an alternate campaign were to be made. All the scenario designer would have to do is add some alert VP hexes and a historically feasible set of units would flow right in!
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Allied Report for 1 August 1943 (Turn 23)

Postby JSS » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:28 pm

1 August 1943 -- Turn 23

The US Provisional Corps will conclude operations at Palermo and make plans to expand the push on Messina.. II US Corps will be able to gain full contact with the main Axis defense line. Commonwealth forces will engage the Catania defenders. The decisive phase begins today!

Seventh US Army

Starting Situation

Only a weak group of holdouts remain at Palermo. Resistance will end today.

II US Corps is able to identify the main line of Axis defense. It will be probed from top to bottom.

Operations Reports

The Provisional Corps and XXX Br Corps crush the last resistance at Palermo.

By nightfall both corps are headed Palermo to Messina! ...II US Corps probing action finds a granite wall of Axis defenders. Success today is defined as locating and tying down forces while XIII Br Corps begins its offensive operations.

Commonwealth Forces

Starting Situation

… Once again the Germans have opted not to risk a counterattack overnight. Positions consolidated during the night now serve as jump off assembly areas for full offensive operations.

Operations Reports

The minefields before Catania have lanes breached in them but still serve to canalize the attackers. A first desperate attempt is made to secure Catania… it fails.

A flanking attack on Catania’s defensive line finds much more success. Weak areas are exploited and the line cracked.

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Twinkle » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:05 am

Axis turn 23 report

OKW is so happy with the performance so far and gives order for speeding up the ferrying of assets to mainland Italy, so all combat units starts to move towards Messina with increased speed. The hard won fight has bought needed time to reinforce by moving troops from the east front. Enemy interdiction went towards the predicted crossroads, resulting in a greatly improved supply situation... maps below gives supply situation plus unit locations at end of turn.

Best regards
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:12 am

What's the score (projected and current) at this point? It sounds like Twinkle feels confident of the win.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fantassin » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:17 am

He may be. Palermo fell on turn 22 only, Catania will next turn and there's only 9 turns left to JSS to capture Messina. I foresee at least a decisive win for Twinkle.
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:42 am

I think Twinkle will win, these are my reasons
He has prevented General JSS from advancing that far with his Commonwealth men (Catania is still holding!) And held Palermo for a while with the feeling of "Palermo is worth vital VP points ... i must hold it). And it's odd how Palermo/Messina are like Banks : Every time (for Palermo) the axis hold it, $100 is released from them and you keep saving the money for something (or something like that anyway)! And 1 more question about ALERT POINTS for SSG : Why did you make them Alert units even though they never take part in the battle?

Allied Turn Report for 2 Aug 43

Postby JSS » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:10 am

2 August 1943 -- Turn 24

The two Armies will once again fight as concentrated forces today. But first they must find the Axis defenders! Seems XIII Br Corps offensive has convinced the Axis Commander to find better terrain.

Seventh US Army

Starting Situation

Germans have broken contact again. It will be a day of movement to contact.

Operations Reports

The Provisional Corps and II US Corps move out in parallel. An Italian position is hit in two waves.

In preparation for future operations a regimental combat team from 3d Infantry Division is ordered to begin loading amphibious transports at Palermo.

By nightfall both corps have regained contact.

Commonwealth Forces

Starting Situation

The flanking attack unhinges the German defense... A very significant withdrawl takes place… Catania is liberated! …and several units can’t make the move…

Operations Reports

The scant Italian stay behind units are quickly rounded up and sent to POW camps. Commonwealth forces push thru to find the new defense line… its strength is tested.

A successful day ends with much still to be done in the morning.

Game Note

Now that both Palermo and Catania have fallen, the German ability to run up the score ends. Now it’s a matter of getting many, many kills or take Messina (100 pts per turn to Allies)…

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Twinkle » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:24 am

Cpt. Feathersword wrote:What's the score (projected and current) at this point? It sounds like Twinkle feels confident of the win.

It is just a matter of retreating properly (as the axis forces did)... I might have to leave the odd Italian troop after me as they cannot move with any great speed, but they are anyway not worth much points.
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Italy Public Discussion