New life for RFTS-1983?

Discussion relating to Reach For The Stars.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

New life for RFTS-1983?

Postby linuxitaly » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:05 pm

Inside you can have a free Internet program Vice, an emulator of the Commodore 64, which use the game "Reach for the Stars" nearly 20 years old.I can let these games are downloaded from my site (version 2 and 3)? How can i change them for the Italian language, so 'to use it with Vice? Authorize or prohibit these operations? If I did not do anything forbidden.
Regards.
linuxitaly
Private
Private

Postby Roger Keating » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:23 am

I can't imagine how you could get into the code to insert any Italian text. It would require replacement, byte by byte, of text in the code. I am not able to tell you how this could be done, only that I know that it has been done but requires time and the right software tools.

Modern games generally use text files that make conversion to another language a fairly simple action, ignoring Kharkov of course which is still Englished based and does not have this ability.

The reason we do not do this with Kharkov is simply economics. We did use this technique in the 90's when we had a budget of over $US1 million per game and had teams producing the games. At the moment we would rather spend our time getting these games finished to our satisfaction than look at translations which would require that manuals etc. also be produced.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby linuxitaly » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:40 am

I found a file with which to start the game Reach for the stars, in version 3 of about 20 years ago in the emulator of the Commodore 64 called Vice. Can I give this file from my site? Good evening.
linuxitaly
Private
Private

Postby Roger Keating » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:46 am

There are no stores selling this game now and several sites that allow for it to be downloaded.

As long as the appropriate acknowledgements are given then I can see no problem.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby linuxitaly » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:53 pm

I downloaded the file from a site of the game, usable with the Vice Commodore 64 emulator. If used the right name is the house that produced the game when the whole party. I intend to make it available free to all from my site, after twenty years, for those who use the Program Vice, of course thank you for writing the company who made the game. If I am authorized to include in my site, then send you the link and check that you have not done anything wrong. What do you think? Am I allowed? Good day.
linuxitaly
Private
Private

Postby Roger Keating » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:21 pm

Showing old games to the world is an admirable ideal that I can't complain about.

From what you have said I can see no problem in what you are doing ..

Have a Happy New Year over in that country I would like to visit one day. Been close but never made it. There is a lot of history that needs to be explored.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby linuxitaly » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:10 pm

I posted a free download of the old game of "Reach For The Stars", here's the link:
http://ogigia.altervista.org/index.php? ... mmodore_64
and tell me if 'okay, if i am correct, change cancel all the lighthouse. One demonstration video, made with the Vice emulator of the Commodore 64: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa1iPG5cnSs
support' my article that will make 'rediscover this great game thousands of your kind italiani.

In Italy there are many historical information and lots of secrets to discover, too type the show is X-Files.Se write privately for more information.
Beat year.
linuxitaly
Private
Private

Postby linuxitaly » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:52 am

My article in italian language:
http://ogigia.altervista.org/index.php?mod=read&id=1262945922
Good bye.
linuxitaly
Private
Private

Return to RFTS Discussion