Campaign Game Crash

Discussion relating to Reach For The Stars.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Campaign Game Crash

Postby matt3916 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:38 am

Has anyone ever managed to complete all the scenarios in the second campaign (Enter the Klaa'Keen)?

My attempts have always resulted in either an inability to start from a saved game position (the "orbiting ball" wait icon constantly runs but nothing happens) or an actual crash to desktop when hitting "Next Turn." The crash does not give any error messages (or create any log files, at least none I can find).

This "you can't play anymore" always happens between Turns 10 and 15 of the final scenario of the campaign. By this time I typically have 75+ colonies and a total fleet size of 600+ ships (stats included because I suspect the problem might be related to the size of something).

This is the original SSI release. Problem occurs with the 1.2 patch as well as with the 1.3a patch. Happens with Windows 98 as well as with Windows XP.
matt3916
New Recruit

Postby Gregor Whiley » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:26 am

I'm not sure if I can be of any assistance here. RFTS is pretty old, in game terms, and it may well be that it has run into an invisible road block that wasn't there when the game was released (OS changes, video drivers etc). On the other hand, the size of your empire may be the culprit, creating a condition that we didn't catch in testing all those years ago.

Either way, we don't really have the capacity any more to try and track down the problem and I apologise for that. I hope that the pleasure you had in amassing your forces and crushing your opposition outweighs the annoyance of this final glitch.

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Postby matt3916 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:21 am

Gregor -- Thanks for responding. I suspect the answer is "didn't chtch in testing, since I also had the problem with Win95 when the game was initially released.

In spite of this irriating glitch, I'll admit I certainly got my money's worth from this title. I ended up playing it even more than the original.
matt3916
New Recruit

Return to RFTS Discussion