Matrix Games Signs SSG’s Reach for the Stars!

Discussion relating to Reach For The Stars.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Matrix Games Signs SSG’s Reach for the Stars!

Postby Twinkle » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:46 pm

Posted today at Matrix Games forum...

Classic Space-Based Conquest Game Returns!

Matrix Games announced today that they will be working with Strategic Studies Group (www.ssg.com.au) to release an updated version of the Reach for the Stars sci-fi strategy game. The original classic was released in 1983, but the new release is an updated version of the second Reach for the Stars release in 2000.

Reach for the Stars is noted to have been one of, if not the first, 4X Space Strategy game. 4X Strategy refers to the four activities you perform, Explore, Expand, Exploit, and Exterminate. The overall game will remain the same as the 2000 release of Reach for the Stars, but with fixes for previous issues reported since then.

David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games said, “Reach For The Stars is and was a classic that we are proud to return to the front line of strategy gamers. The gameplay is still as fun and addictive as always.”
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby solops » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:39 am

Hmmm....one of the things that made the original RFTS such a joy to play was the AI. How are they going to make a game with a good AI withour Trout & Keating? Additional features are just going to confuse the poor thing. I'd settle for a better interface and cleaned up graphics (read "less ornate is batter").

How about some official details on these and other concerns?
solops
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Twinkle » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:46 am

solops wrote:How are they going to make a game with a good AI withour Trout & Keating??

without???
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Manny » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:54 am

solops wrote: (read "less ornate is batter").

:lol: :lol:

Sorry, couldn't help myself !
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

My BiN Profile
"Modesty is not a virtue; it is useful only as a curb for youthful indescretion" - The Ethics of Aristotle

Games in progress

Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:29 am

As far as I know Keating and Trout (and Whiley) are still SSG - unless you know something I dont.. in which case I better make a phone call :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby solops » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:39 pm

Manny wrote:
solops wrote: (read "less ornate is batter").

:lol: :lol:

Sorry, couldn't help myself !

Sigh....I'm obviously not a touch typist and I cannot get my secretary to take dictation for my e-mails. Sorry.

RE Trout/Keating: the Matrix release I saw on the Wargamer site reads as if THEY (Matrix) are doing the update and that SSG may not be involved. My post was intended to instigate a clarification.

FYI I couldn't figure it either.
solops
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Gregor Whiley » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:11 am

solops wrote:Hmmm....one of the things that made the original RFTS such a joy to play was the AI. How are they going to make a game with a good AI withour Trout & Keating? Additional features are just going to confuse the poor thing. I'd settle for a better interface and cleaned up graphics (read "less ornate is batter").

We have a very simple division of labour with Matrix. We make the games, they sell them. We made this game over 4 years ago, we've just ensured that it runs on modern systems, fixed bugs and offered it to people who have have missed it back then. It's still a great game, and there just aren't a lot of games in the genre.

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Postby solops » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:36 am

Gregor Whiley wrote:
We have a very simple division of labour with Matrix. We make the games, they sell them. We made this game over 4 years ago, we've just ensured that it runs on modern systems, fixed bugs and offered it to people who have have missed it back then. It's still a great game, and there just aren't a lot of games in the genre.

Gregor

Fair enough. Still, I'll ask for more, more, more because you guy do such good work :-)
solops
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Anguille » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:11 pm

Gregor Whiley wrote:
solops wrote:Hmmm....one of the things that made the original RFTS such a joy to play was the AI. How are they going to make a game with a good AI withour Trout & Keating? Additional features are just going to confuse the poor thing. I'd settle for a better interface and cleaned up graphics (read "less ornate is batter").

Gregor

That's good news.

I have the original (2000) and find it great. What did kind of bugs did you fix since the last official patch? In random games the ai was sometimes passive (which was not the case in the campaign) was that a bug? Did you extend the campaign?

I may well buy this one... :wink:

If it sells well, i hope you're gonna make a sequel...

Thanks...
Anguille
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby AlexS » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:04 pm

Anguille,
We will be posting a patch for those that bought it in 2000, so there is no need for you to purchase another copy. The inactive AI bug was one that was fixed. Another serious one was the inability to save and load games in some campaign scenarios.

AlexS
AlexS
SSG
AlexS
SSG

Postby Anguille » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:14 pm

AlexS wrote:Anguille,
We will be posting a patch for those that bought it in 2000, so there is no need for you to purchase another copy. The inactive AI bug was one that was fixed. Another serious one was the inability to save and load games in some campaign scenarios.

AlexS

This is great news....i may buy it anyway to support this great company :wink:

Thanks

PS: did you do something about scanner. In late game it's sometimes difficult to know on which planets there are still enemies and so you have to put a fleet on each solar system. A tech allowing to know where the aliens are would be nice. :wink:
Anguille
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Mikus42 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:58 am

Question: Will the 2000 version of RFTS run on XP?

How about a RFTS forum?
Mikus42
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Robjess » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:04 pm

Yes the version I have been testing does indeed run on my machine - which happens to have XP installed on it.

And yes, I will create a Reach for the Stars forum very shortly.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Mikus42 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:39 am

Thanks

and

Thanks
Mikus42
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby gthomas » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:25 am

Is the patch which fixes the save/load bug in campaigns available yet?

Cheers
gthomas
Corporal
Corporal

Return to RFTS Discussion