RFTS

Discussion relating to Reach For The Stars.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby gthomas » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:08 pm

Thanks pterrok, that was interesting. I will explore it further.

I have been playing the 1.2b campaign. using the reloaded patch 1.1.

It worked well enough through the Trogarch Menace scenario, as well as the Rebellion and the X Space Interlude.

In these scenarios, at the end of the scenario if gives the choice to move to the next scenario. If you choose to do that, it drops out to Windows, and you have to reload the "End of..." saved game and proceed from there.

However, when trying to reload the End of X Space Interlude file, it crashed out to Windows anyway. The effect is that it is impossible to go any further in the Klar-Keen campaign.

AlexS sent me patch 1.3, with the proviso that it only fixed the inactive AI problem.

On loading this patch 1.3, it looked very much like patch 1.1, even to the accompanying HTML file. In effect, 1.3 appears to be a branch in the code, rather than being after 1.2b. The problem here is that the inert AI problem only appeared with patch 1.2b. Patch 1.1 was fine. When I installed patch "1.3" the AI worked fine (as it did with patch 1.1). In passing, the sample game I tried indicated that the Mrmadoi, like the Klar-Keen, can destroy Saurischi 22/22 satellites (see my earlier posts).

It appears that the inert AI bug was introduced by patch 1.2b. So it needs a fix to that patch to fix the bug.

When I installed patch "1.3", I tried to continue the Enter the Klar-Keen scenario, but the End of X Space Interlude saved game still refused to load.

It seems that there are two serious bugs, the inert AI bug, which didn't exist until patch 1.2b, and the crash to windows on loading bug, which has been there from the beginning.

I have to admit that when I loaded Alex's "1.3" patch there were heaps of messages "Could not update file ..." - lots of them.

Cheers
gthomas
Corporal
Corporal

Postby AlexS » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:03 pm

The 1.3 patch includes all the changes in the v1.2b patch, and fixes a few minor things, including the inert AI issue. The messages you got about not being able to update files etc are a problem - To test this patch out i installed a fresh version from the CD - v1.0. I then applied each patch in turn v1.1, v1.2b, v1.3. In your case Gary, i would suggest before you install a fresh version from CD that you delete all the old files (or at least move them). Then you should get the v1.3 update without any problems.

AlexS
AlexS
SSG
AlexS
SSG

Klaa'Keen Save Game Load Bug?

Postby Teven_Hangue » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:07 am

AlexS: Is it a bug or a feature that I (and at least one other poster) can't load saved games in the 2nd & 3rd (& possibly 4+) scenarios? I can load saved games from the original "Reach for The Stars Campaing" and from the 1st scenario of the Klaa'Keen campaing. I've tried palying with both the 1.2 and 1.3 patches - same problem. Is this a problem that can be easily fixed, or will we have to live with it?

Given it takes about an hour to do 10 turns & that it took me 122 turns to finaly win the "The Trogarch Menace", the lack of a working save game feature is anoying. The Hive was really anoying. They hung arround till about turn 75 - long after they had lost their last colony and colony ship.

To those who posted hits & advice: Thanks.

Steve
Teven_Hangue
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby gthomas » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:12 am

I am now using patch 1.3, and the problem of the invulnerable Saurischi satellites appears to have been fixed. I went back to my saved games of Humanity versus Saurischi and Saurischi versus Saurischi, and in both cases the 22/22 worlds were no problem at all.

The only remaining show-stopper is the inability to load games. In most cases this can be worked around by loading an ealier game, then the most recent one.

The only case in which this doesn't work is the End of X Space Interlude in the Enter the Klar-Keen Campaign.

I have another small problem with the forum - I cannot load my avatar, I get an error message when I try. I have tried a gif file and a jpeg. The images are 60 x 60 pixels, and are 3K and 5K respectively.

Cheers
gthomas
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Robjess » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:11 am

I have just checked the forum file space and I cant see your avatar online anywhere.. did you get any error message when you tried to upload it?

Arhh ok.. I see whats wrong there are some errors when you try and upload one.. ok we will look into it and let you know when its fixed.. thanks for letting us know.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:02 am

Ok Avatar problem is not fixed - thanks for pointing it out. Give it another shot at uploading your avatar and it should all work - if not let me know.

Cheers!
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby gthomas » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:25 pm

As you can see, it worked

Cheers
gthomas
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Robjess » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:26 pm

All that effort for a camel? :) Where abouts in NZ are you?
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:58 pm

Do you mean the North Island or the mainland?
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby gthomas » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:04 am

Ah but the profound symbolism of the camel! And the rising sun! And the pyramid! I think.

Anyway, it was fun making it.

I live in Palmerston North. No pyramids, not a lot of sun, and no camels. Also no jobs as a Java architect, or even developer. So, I write SAS. O how the mighty are fallen. Maybe the camel should be lying down.

The last time I actually rode a dromedary was at a safari park at the foot of the Blue Mountains. I did enjoy it though.

Cheers
gthomas
Corporal
Corporal

Postby solops » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:49 pm

Hi folks.

I have been AWOL on real world business for a while. Is this 1.3 patch the answer and where can it be downloaded?
solops
Corporal
Corporal

Postby AlexS » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:07 pm

Hi Solops,
I have a trial v1.3 patch which you can get by emailing me at support@ssg.com.au. To my knowledge (and others have confirmed) this patch fixes the inactive AI problem.
I think i have also found the bug which prevents saving in the campaign some scenarios. I will post more details (and possibly a new patch) when it is ready.

AlexS
AlexS
SSG
AlexS
SSG

Postby gthomas » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:03 am

Now that is really good news.

Thanks Alex.
gthomas
Corporal
Corporal

Postby RalphH » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:12 am

After a longer than expected absence from RFTS I am back on track. I managed to get the Hive to retreat in episode 5 by destoying several colonies. I have found that the Human fleets just are not up to the task of taking on the Hive. Good thing that I read the briefing at the beginning of the episode! Anyway I am getting ready for space or bust.
I am playing RFTS version 1.2. Can I upgrade to 1.3 and continue the same campaign?
Anyone out there tinking with the editor? I haven't seen any user made scenarios on the web.
Ralph
RalphH
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby solops » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:12 am

I'm getting a new PC. So, I'll be migrating all of my patches, saved games, e-mail, etc. across and praying that no corrupted files are created. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Meanwhile, RFTS 1.3...yeah!
solops
Corporal
Corporal

PreviousNext

Return to RFTS Discussion