A Wolf by the Ears - Tournament

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Across the Dnepr?

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:53 pm

OK, great! He is in and that makes 24 so we will close registrations now. If anyone else wants to sign up as an alternate in case of a dropout that is fine.

I'm working on the finishing touches for play balance and will send Rob the final version of the secenario for the tournament some time early next week. The plan is still to officially start on July 8th. I'll work on the pairings over the weekend.
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:36 pm

Rob would like us to have a couple of alternates in case anyone drops out so please sign up if you're interested. We'll start with 24 but may need someone to fill in at any time.

Don't forget this is the first Run5 tourney to offer a prize so you might win it as an alternate and even get a bye to a later round if someone drops out!
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:40 pm

In all of the Tournaments we have run so far we have had to call upon at least 1 reserve to fill in for someone who pulled out in the first round.. so yes, continue to sign up.

Dont forget you get a medal for this Tournament too :) [watch the flood now.. ]
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Manny » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:15 pm

*drools like an idiot at the thought of a new medal*

Where can we get it from ?

My precioooooooooooooous :twisted:
Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pterrok » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:32 am

And now for something COMPLETELY different!

I just started a human vs human game to get an idea of the changes--could the original and the variant BE any different???

The map is the same and a lot of the division icons are old friends, but man, the game play is SOOOO different that if you HAVEN'T looked at it at all I urge you to take a gander so you won't be taken completely by surprise! I haven't got the faintest clue as to which side I hope to draw in round one!

Mogilev fell on turn 3 and Orsha on turn 5--which may be fairly repeatable feats IF the Axis gets the interdictions that I pulled. (And coming up I've got 6 turns in a row of THREE interdictions per turn!) BUT the Axis lost somewhere around 400 VPs in doing it--more than I lost in a full game of AtD!

Of course, I'm also incredibly aggressive as the Soviets, buying not only time with my bodies but also wearing down the Axis steps as the few units he has on the board at the beginning are losing steps by furiously attacking and defending every turn...even though every Axis attack is an overrun, the hits DO pile up!

Velizh WON'T fall in time, mostly since Vitebsk was semi-ignored to take Orsha, an Axis mistake? I doubt the Axis will be able to overcome such a loss of unit VPs, but I guess that's what Lee is tweaking now...

Right now, if push came to shove, I'd rather be Soviets...If the Axis wait to get units on the map to spread out the hits they take they won't take the objectives in time. If they hammer away with what they've got, they can lose an awful lot of VPs in a hurry by getting units killed. If they DON'T start whittling down the very weak Soviet forces right at the start, the waves of reinforcements coming in will eventually make it look like the original AtD line and detachments in depth. The wild-card, though, is that the Soviets will be much, MUCH more likely to be put out of supply with the reduced burst from Smolensk...

Maybe the Axis make up for it by taking everything up to the far East edge once they get rolling--given how long the turns take to play I should know before the tourny actually starts playing!

(I reserve the right to be completely wrong in my assessment and to change it at will! :lol: )
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:29 am

There have been quite a few changes since the 2.02 version that is up on Run5. Currently testing 2.04 and will release 2.05 for the tourney. You'll just have to wait for the final release to see what has changed. :lol:
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Von Snapphanen » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:38 am

pterrok wrote:Mogilev fell on turn 3 and Orsha on turn 5--which may be fairly repeatable feats IF the Axis gets the interdictions that I pulled. (And coming up I've got 6 turns in a row of THREE interdictions per turn!) BUT the Axis lost somewhere around 400 VPs in doing it--more than I lost in a full game of AtD!

I don't think 400 lost unit VPs is that much, not in mind that you have the first two key cities in your hand and on time. I agree it could be too much if that lose rate last for the rest of the campaign. Not more than 400 in a full AtD, then you sure had a nice ride. :) 400 is say 5 Reg. of mix sort during a campaign with over 30 Divisions. I have no problem with unit lose VPs around 1000. 8) But as you mentioned then the rolling will have to near hit the walls of Kremlin.

My concern at first with the 2.02 was that is was way to easy for the Germans. I actually had a game going but we agreed to drop it because the overrunning of Russians was so complete. But now after a bit of studying ("Before Stalingrad" by D. Glantz) and others, I like the positions, the coming and numbers of units more and more. The defender will now have to be more flexible I think. You can/have to build up reserves and take brave decisions when and where to defend and or counterattack. I hope and believe that the days of the solid line from north to south is ending.

On the other hand I have not played more than one turn on the 2.02 and could also be completely wrong on this. :)
Von Snapphanen
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:32 am

Version 2.02 favored the Germans too much. I'm hoping for better balance in the final version.
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Manny » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:00 am

Yes yes, balance is all well-and-good but what we want to know is

WHERE IS THE MEDAL ?!

:twisted:
Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:53 pm

We have one alternate now, Pustov. However I also have one player who still has not signed up for the ladder so Pustov will play if the other is not on the ladder by the start.
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Brubaker » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:20 pm

Man I must have been asleep the last week :(

No matter, Lee I have sent you an email to act as a reserve. No offence fellas but I hope someone breaks a leg 8)
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:43 pm

We have three alternates now in this order:

Pustov
Xenos80
Brubaker

At this point I'm going to add the first two alternates as regulars so we have 26 in the initial field with one alternate. That means 14 will advance after round 1, 13 winners and the player with the best losing score. In the second round we will advance 8, 7 winners and the player with the best losing score. After that it's a straight elimination tourney.

It's not too late to sign up and if we get a couple more players I'll add more to the first round.
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:47 pm

Is the best score - the losers single score? Or the difference between the winners and loser score?
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:02 pm

Not sure I understand the question Rob. Isn't there only one score, the winners? My thought was that the lowest winning score would be the "best" losing score.

Carl Myers has joined as an alternate now. We're on a roll guys so keep those entires coming and we'll add more players to round 1.
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:13 pm

If we play a game and you score 1300 and I score 700. As the loser my score is 700. But the win margin is 500.

If Fred and Pete play a game and Fred scores 1100 and Pete scores 700. As the loser Pete's score is 700. But the win margin is 400.

If John and Bill play, John scores 900 and Bill scores 500. As the loser Bill scores 500, but the win margin is 400.

Ok.

I scored the best score as a loser getting 700.
Bill had the lowest win margin at 400.
Pete equalled the best score and the best win margin.

Which one of those losers progress?

Sorry.. not trying to be difficult.. but these are the sorts of things we need to make clear before we start the Tournament
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Across the Dnepr Play By Email (PBEM)