A Wolf by the Ears - Tournament

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Across the Dnepr?

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby stevel40831 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:02 am

If you still have room, I'd like to join also. Will send an email shortly. Thanks!

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out."

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
stevel40831
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:37 am

OK Steve you're in as #22.
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:28 pm

Fantassin wrote:
Twinkle wrote:Good idea to advance the four best German players and the four best Soviet players...

Twinkle, Lee's idea is to advance the four best "winners" from each side, not the four best "players".
Unfortunately, this kind of selection will probably select the winner of the most unbalanced game not in terms of side but in terms of player's skill. Winning even marginally against Tempest or JSS is far more difficult than against a player who doesn't distinguish a tank from a truck. :shock: So a selection by best level of victory will probably eliminate opponents with similar strength.

Good point! I even agree that it is most likely easier to get more points out of a newbie then JSS... :)

But that is of course also a real fact for direct elimination games; nevertheless why not advance all winners from round 1 plus the best losers to make up for numbers. Although it isn't too late for attracting 10 more players... Come on; sign up if you haven't done so!!!

/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:18 pm

Since we're almost at 24 I think dropping to 8 after the first round is too much of a cut. Also, I'll have to make a choice of stopping at 24 or going on to 32. That seems unlikely but is still possible.

Assuming we stop at 24 then my plan is to advance all winners from the first rounds so we will go from 24 to 12 to 6. At that point the next round would produce 3 winners. There are three options:

1. Take the 2 highest scores out of 3 as the finalists. One winner would not advance.

2. Let the player with the highest losing score advance as well so we drop to 4 instead of 3. Play a regular 4 player bracket from there.

3. Let the 3 players play a game against each of the other 2 with wins determining the champ and total points used as the tie breaker if wins are equal.

Please give me your preferences from those 3 choices, although I retain the right to have the final say. I have no preference at this point.
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby stevel40831 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:45 pm

Lee Elmendorf wrote:
2. Let the player with the highest losing score advance as well so we drop to 4 instead of 3. Play a regular 4 player bracket from there.

Personally I like this option. This far into the tournament you should not have to worry about a top player clobbering a newbie and coming up with an inflated victory margin.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out."

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
stevel40831
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:31 am

option 2 sounds good...
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:38 am

After thinking about it some more I'd say #3 is my least favorite as it requires players to play multiple games which I'd rather avoid.
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:44 am

agreed...
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Bertram » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:54 am

If you go with an final of 3 players I would suggest having each play a German game against one, and an Allied against the other opponent, and totalling their score. That way there is no danger of a "weaker" opponent throwing the score off.

Bertram
Bertram
Captain
Captain

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:01 am

Yes, that would be the way to do it except I'm leaning away from a 3 player final for the reason mentioned above.
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby hank » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:27 am

I vote for no. 2. Leading to a normal final four for the championship. I'd vote to stop at 24 and proceed on as you described with option 2.

hank
hank
Major
Major

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:22 am

We have one more entrant, daddy_ow, so that makes 23. I'll reconfirm the count but if it's correct then we're looking for one more player before closing the registrations.
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:32 am

Just to make sure I have everyone so far, here are the registered players. If you sent me a registration email but you're not on this list let me know asap. Thanks.

Bertram
Fairfax
Squatter
kingpin
pterrok
JVSFugitive
Cpt. Feathersword
Thor Eikermann
El Toro
Islander
Graf Starhemberg
Michl
Von Snapphanen
Hank
Manny
Joss
Aberdeen
marc420
Twinkle
Leo
SteveL40831
daddy_ow
Elmo
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Manny » Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:38 am

On a more important note : is the campaign medal ready yet ? :wink:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

My BiN Profile
"Modesty is not a virtue; it is useful only as a curb for youthful indescretion" - The Ethics of Aristotle

Games in progress

Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:21 pm

Lee,

Ian Trout emailed me and said he would like a start in this Tournament also.. so please include him as a rego.. (but dont let him win :))
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Across the Dnepr Play By Email (PBEM)