A Wolf by the Ears - Tournament

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Across the Dnepr?

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:31 am

I would simply rank the winners by margin of victory and the top "X" number of players advance to the second round. This means every game would have to be played to completion though in order to get a fair baseline.

Hoping you have 4 winners of each side may prove troublesome as the Rommel tourney will show.
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Graf Starhemberg » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:53 am

I agree with the idea to let the top eight players advance into round two. And I favor the suggestion to divide it into the top four winners of each side, or 5/3, 6/2 if one side can´t bring enough victories in.

In case a contestant resigns the winner could be rewarded an overwhelming(?) win with a score to yet to be determined. However the players should be encouraged to fight honorably till the end.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Graf Starhemberg
Major
Major

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:53 am

OK, we'll forget the 4 winners from each side idea. It wouldn't be good for someone who managed a top 4 win, but maybe only a minor win, to advance while the 5th winner from the other side would be eliminated even if it were an overwhelming win.

Edit - :lol: , I posted this without seeing Graf's endorsement to go with a number of winners from each side.
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Graf Starhemberg » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:07 am

Lee Elmendorf wrote:OK, we'll forget the 4 winners from each side idea. It wouldn't be good for someone who managed a top 4 win, but maybe only a minor win, to advance while the 5th winner from the other side would be eliminated even if it were an overwhelming win.

I´d say that depends on the point of view. One could also argue that achieving a minor win on one side is more difficult than winning an overwhelming victory with the other.
All in all it´s a rule the scenario designer and tournament host(Lee & Lee :wink: ) as competent persons will have to put on the table. I´m ready for everything...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Graf Starhemberg
Major
Major

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:29 am

I'm certainly not going to make any promises about perfect balance, so yes a minor win on one side could turn out to be a "better" win than an overwhelming one on the other. Then again that minor win might have been by an expert who was playing a noob, and on and on...

Assuming we have less than 32 players then I am inclined to only advance 8 players to round 2. Otherwise it could involve advancing some losers from the first round and that would get too complicated.
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:05 am

Good idea to advance the four best German players and the four best Soviet players... could be fun if they were forced to change side in the quarter-finals and if the side was also switched in the semi-final and the final, unless both opponents had same side in the previous battle. Just something new that I like to see in a tourney, might work out good.

Regards
/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:10 am

If you do the best 4 from each side you had better be prepared with a Plan B, just in case. Although it does seem remote, you can never tell with a lightly playtested scenario.
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:42 pm

Cpt. Feathersword wrote:If you do the best 4 from each side you had better be prepared with a Plan B, just in case. Although it does seem remote, you can never tell with a lightly playtested scenario.

Lightly playtested?! I feel like I've spent my whole life testing this thing! :lol:
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:53 pm

No offense Lee, but until it is put to a stress test such as a tourney I have to believe "lightly tested" is an apt description :wink:
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Bertram » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:59 pm

Playing Combat Mission tournaments there was an elegant solution to this. RoW used unbalanced scenario's, and decided afterwards what the average score was. Then you got rated how much better (or worse) you did then average... Of course several methods can be used to calculate the score you are measured against, a median, an average, an weighted average (dropping the 2 highest and 2 lowest scores for example)...

Might be an option. Of course drawbacks are that the organisator has to do some calculating, and that the final scores can only be decided when all games are finished...

Bertram
Bertram
Captain
Captain

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:08 am

Cpt. Feathersword wrote:No offense Lee, but until it is put to a stress test such as a tourney I have to believe "lightly tested" is an apt description :wink:

No offense taken. I agree that even a few dedicated testers (me, Nickel, and michl) can only do so much testing and it takes a tourney to reveal the truth for all to see. BTW, don't be offended when you draw the hardest opponent in the tourney, it was only a coincidence! :twisted:

Speaking of which, I have a very scientific method in mind for the draw. My four year old will pick names out of a hat. First name of each pair plays the Germans.

Bertram - That is a possible way to run things. I'll consider it although the drawback as you say is that everyone must finish a round before the winners are determined and the next round can start.
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Fantassin » Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:13 am

Lee Elmendorf wrote:
Cpt. Feathersword wrote:No offense Lee, but until it is put to a stress test such as a tourney I have to believe "lightly tested" is an apt description :wink:

No offense taken... BTW, don't be offended when you draw the hardest opponent in the tourney, it was only a coincidence! :twisted:

Lee, don't pick the hardest opponent please, just "draw" me against this good Cpt. Feathersword :wink: I'm sure he will be very pleased :)
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Leo » Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:19 am

Hey Lee,

If its not too late count me in too. I've already sent you an email with my info. Sound like a great tourney!
I hope I didn't miss the boat.

Peace.

Leo
“What we do in life, echoes an eternity”

Max
Leo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:13 am

Leo

I said you were in when replying to your email but you're #21 right now so we need at least one more to make an even number of players. Otherwise you'll be first alternate. Pretty sure we'll get at least one more before we close registrations.

Lee
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Fantassin » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:48 am

Twinkle wrote:Good idea to advance the four best German players and the four best Soviet players...

Twinkle, Lee's idea is to advance the four best "winners" from each side, not the four best "players".
Unfortunately, this kind of selection will probably select the winner of the most unbalanced game not in terms of side but in terms of player's skill. Winning even marginally against Tempest or JSS is far more difficult than against a player who doesn't distinguish a tank from a truck. :shock: So a selection by best level of victory will probably eliminate opponents with similar strength.
Fantassin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Across the Dnepr Play By Email (PBEM)