Korsun Pocket game podcast

This forum relates to Announcements, News and General Discussion of SSG products.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Korsun Pocket game podcast

Postby Chris Merchant » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:02 pm

Last year Three Moves Ahead's Rob Zacny and Bruce Geryk discuss SSG's Korsun Pocket and its impact on the wargaming community at the time.

I found it a very interesting and informed discussion, particularly where they compare the very informative game system to 'black box' wargames and discuss the pros and cons of either.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/korsun-pocket
User avatar
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel
 
Posts: 680
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:28 pm
Location: Adelaide Australia

Re: Korsun Pocket game podcast

Postby ciril » Wed May 20, 2015 4:59 pm

Very interesting, thanks for posting.
ciril
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:08 am

Re: Korsun Pocket game podcast

Postby Targ » Thu May 28, 2015 7:19 am

Great assessment and observations.

One thing I found interesting was both podcasters dislike of the hand painted maps. That is one of the things I always loved about SSG games.

It made me wonder if they really needed to calibrate the color on the monitors when they said they could not tell where the rivers were! As a very experienced land navigator (6 years Infantry, most of my life in Alaska hunting and camping) I found the map a visual pleasure.
Targ
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 11:05 am

Re: Korsun Pocket game podcast

Postby JSS » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:16 pm

Targ wrote:Great assessment and observations.

One thing I found interesting was both podcasters dislike of the hand painted maps. That is one of the things I always loved about SSG games.

It made me wonder if they really needed to calibrate the color on the monitors when they said they could not tell where the rivers were! As a very experienced land navigator (6 years Infantry, most of my life in Alaska hunting and camping) I found the map a visual pleasure.


Yep, your thoughts match mine pretty closely. The maps are one of my favorite features of SSG games... spent 10+ good years of my life land navigating with 2d, 7th, 35th, & 101st Infantry Divisions and I'd take the SSG maps over the real world tactical maps almost any day if I had'd a choice! ;)
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

User avatar
JSS
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2489
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Washington D.C.

Re: Korsun Pocket game podcast

Postby Targ » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:12 pm

What Years were you stationed at Planet Ord?

1984-1990 3/17 INf here.
Targ
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 11:05 am

Re: Korsun Pocket game podcast

Postby JSS » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:39 am

Targ wrote:What Years were you stationed at Planet Ord?

1984-1990 3/17 INf here.


That's a good, long tour!... not sure if congratulations or condolences are in order :wink: Was there 88-92 with the Med Bn & the Manchus

Loved the area but honesty thought smiling on base was an Art 15 infraction from the looks on dudes' faces around post (it was my first PCS assignment) :twisted:
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

User avatar
JSS
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2489
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Washington D.C.

Re: Korsun Pocket game podcast

Postby Targ » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:26 pm

LOL!

Cohort units and regimentation were the SOP of Infantry back then. It was a great time for me and made a lot of life time friends.
Targ
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 11:05 am

Re: Korsun Pocket game podcast

Postby RobS » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:59 am

JSS wrote:
Targ wrote:Great assessment and observations.

One thing I found interesting was both podcasters dislike of the hand painted maps. That is one of the things I always loved about SSG games.

It made me wonder if they really needed to calibrate the color on the monitors when they said they could not tell where the rivers were! As a very experienced land navigator (6 years Infantry, most of my life in Alaska hunting and camping) I found the map a visual pleasure.


Yep, your thoughts match mine pretty closely. The maps are one of my favorite features of SSG games... spent 10+ good years of my life land navigating with 2d, 7th, 35th, & 101st Infantry Divisions and I'd take the SSG maps over the real world tactical maps almost any day if I had'd a choice! ;)


With all due respect, but you gentlemen seem to be in the minority opinion regarding the maps.
The maps of all the Decisive Battles games have been criticized since the release of KP. The podcasters are hardly alone in their opinions.
Furthermore, most of the custom scenarios for the various games include custom made map graphics, which would indicate to me that those scenario designers were not happy with the included map graphics.

My more detailed opinion of SSG's map graphics can be found here: http://jtsdev.vbulletin.net/forum/main- ... p-graphics

Examples of what wargame maps at this approximate scale should and could look like can be seen at this site: http://www.hist-sdc.com/MapMod/index.htm
especially this one: http://www.hist-sdc.com/MapMod/WITEColorCoded.png
User avatar
RobS
Private
Private
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:40 am

Re: Korsun Pocket game podcast

Postby Chris Merchant » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:00 pm

Welcome Rob

Furthermore, most of the custom scenarios for the various games include custom made map graphics, which would indicate to me that those scenario designers were not happy with the included map graphics.


The game requires that all the maps are hand drawn so effectively all scenarios use 'custom' maps. The engine does not have a built in library of map graphic tiles.

If you want to have a crack at an alternate map for any scenarios please let me know and I'll make sure they're posted for others to download and evaluate

cheers
User avatar
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel
 
Posts: 680
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:28 pm
Location: Adelaide Australia


Return to Announcements/News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron