2012 Fall Run5 Tournament

This forum relates to Announcements, News and General Discussion of SSG products.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

2012 Fall Run5 Tournament

Postby JSS » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:27 am

Here is the bracket for the Fall 2012 Tournament:

Summary of tournament:

1. Standard Run5 Tournament Rules and disclaimers apply :D Key point is tournament mode secure game set up files will be sent to the players.

2. Round 1 is a new scenario from the pending release of BII On to Moscow v2.00. "Encirclement" covers the first 8 turns of the full campaign. As a new scenario, this round will be mirror games with the highest total score advancing.

3. Semi-finals is a new scenario from the pending release of BF Stalingrad v2.00. "Into the City" covers the first 7 turns of the full campaign. As with round 1, these will be mirror games... highest total score advancing.

4. Championship game will be the BII Kalach Bridge scenario. This game will be a bid game to establish sides (winning bid gives that many points to the other player). If bids are the same for both players then sides will be decided by coin flip (coin flip winner giving the bid points to other player).

Admin notes:

- Email will be sent to each entrant to verify address (using Run5 account email as baseline) prior to building tournament game files.

- Tournament mode game files are exactly the same for all players (and for both sides of mirror games).

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Abwehr » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:37 pm

Good luck and have fun everyone.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:22 am

Here is the tournament scenario files download (AI opponents included). Download from this message and install as follows:

Install instructions:

1. Scenario for BII v1.02 game engine.

2. Brubaker's Battle for Moscow (Operation Thyphoon) v1.02 must be installed in the BII Scenarios folder. See SSG Custom Scenarios section for downloads if needed (both downloads must be installed in sequence v1.00 and then v1.02).

3. In the BII Scenarios/Moscow/ folder, make a new folder (you can name it something like Encircle Tny). Copy files from downloaded scenario attachment into the folder you made.

Good luck to our tourney entrants!

JSS
Attachments
OTM2 Encirclement Tourney Scenario.zip
(94.19 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
JSS
Site Admin

Postby JSS » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:50 am

Quick note on the Tournament Version scenario. Much like TAO5 tournament version, there's not much for the Soviet Player to do on turn 1. This is do to the BII tournament feature requiring the Allied player to be player 1.

Normally the German player would be player 1. To make the scenario work properly, several German units are moved back from the front line enough to not alert the Soviet units on the front line. German units moved back a hex received a few more OPs in their starting reserve to make up for the new starting position.

There are six units the Soviet Player can move on turn 1. Five are near Moscow and one is near Tula. This was done to avoid a possible game engine issue with replaying an opponent's move when there were none.

The six units are free to move starting turn 1. If they weren't moved on turn 1, they can still move on turn 2 (and will now have full reserve OPs).

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Noakesy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:53 am

Thanks for this JSS. Have downloaded the scenario and sorted a few things out, but I'm afraid I'm just off on hols for a few days, back Sunday night (no comments please Graff :wink: :lol: ). Sorry for my opponent, but it's going to be Monday before I can get some turns back. Many apologies. :oops: :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chris miller » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:17 am

No problem Noakesy.

I can almost guarantee that I will be tardy on my 'turn' around time. So I can't really hold it against you. Thanks for the heads up.
chris miller
Major
Major

Postby Abwehr » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:37 pm

It's an interesting mirror game thus far with Vader.

I managed to blow the bridges across the major river east and south of Kholm as the Soviets, but other than that Vader's advance towards Vyazma is fairly speedy.

I am eager to write AAR's, but they would contain references to some scenario specific options available to the player, which in turn might change the result of other ongoing games, so I'll wait.

As a general note, mud on turn 7 really makes taking Vyazma difficult as that's the turn when you, in most cases, can start attacking Vyazma proper with a reasonable number of units. Mud means you can't easily shift units from the frontline to the rear (resulting in fewer possible attacks) and that bringing up more reinforcements is tricky. Due to the issues with last turn points, you do sort of need to get lucky on turn 7, at least: that's what things look like now, on turn 4/5.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OlegHasky » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:47 am

Thanks for this JSS. Have downloaded the scenario and sorted a few things out, but I'm afraid I'm just off on hols for a few days, back Sunday night (no comments please Graff ). Sorry for my opponent, but it's going to be Monday before I can get some turns back. Many apologies.

Not only your opponent, as you might become Dikembe Mutombo for the whole turnament. You should be punished :twisted:
OlegHasky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Vader » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:01 am

These were interesting games, but my resignation is at hand. I was out played, out smarted and out skilled in both matches.

Well played Abwehr, thanks for the lesson :wink:

Abwehr wrote:It's an interesting mirror game thus far with Vader.

I managed to blow the bridges across the major river east and south of Kholm as the Soviets, but other than that Vader's advance towards Vyazma is fairly speedy.

I am eager to write AAR's, but they would contain references to some scenario specific options available to the player, which in turn might change the result of other ongoing games, so I'll wait.

As a general note, mud on turn 7 really makes taking Vyazma difficult as that's the turn when you, in most cases, can start attacking Vyazma proper with a reasonable number of units. Mud means you can't easily shift units from the frontline to the rear (resulting in fewer possible attacks) and that bringing up more reinforcements is tricky. Due to the issues with last turn points, you do sort of need to get lucky on turn 7, at least: that's what things look like now, on turn 4/5.
Vader
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Noakesy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:32 pm

OlegHasky wrote:
Thanks for this JSS. Have downloaded the scenario and sorted a few things out, but I'm afraid I'm just off on hols for a few days, back Sunday night (no comments please Graff ). Sorry for my opponent, but it's going to be Monday before I can get some turns back. Many apologies.

Not only your opponent, as you might become Dikembe Mutombo for the whole turnament. You should be punished :twisted:

I do apologise for the delays, first turns are off now. :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OlegHasky » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:58 am

Too late .. See you in the showers.. :twisted: x)

:shock: [/quote]
OlegHasky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Noakesy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:11 pm

OlegHasky wrote:Too late .. See you in the showers.. :twisted: x)

Blimey, that's a bit strong for being a few days late! :D My gallant Germans are two days into their campaign, but going nowhere fast. Waiting at the moment for my turn as Ivan :wink: :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:52 am

Well we're around day 5 with me as the gallant hun, and day 2 I think with me as the cursed Ivan. How are others getting on (other than Abwehr's which I can see is all over)? :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:23 am

I'm really curious if anyone will capture Vyazma on turn 7.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Tempest » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:34 am

Savio has taken the honors.

My sympathy to his next opponent if he still has the green martian disintegrator gun and uses it like he did on my Russian hordes.

Aside from the battlefield drubbing, I needed to resign since an unexpected jump in work/family commitments will have me on travel frequently.

Thanks to Marty for tourney organizing.

Dave A
Tempest
Major
Major

Next

Return to Announcements/News