Any Interest in a Fall Tournament?

This forum relates to Announcements, News and General Discussion of SSG products.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Any Interest in a Fall Tournament?

Postby JSS » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:08 am

Have an upgraded scenario just about ready for release. Anyone (need 8 :twisted: ) interested in trying out something new in a tournament event?

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Noakesy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:30 am

But of course JSS :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Gen Alexandra » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:25 am

count me in
Gen Alexandra
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby slevi » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:27 am

count me in as well :D
Image Image
slevi
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Tempest » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:45 am

I'm a bit rusty but put me down for a slot
Tempest
Major
Major

Postby Abwehr » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Sure, why not. As long as it isn't Kalach for Kharkov.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OlegHasky » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:07 pm

Place for me as well mr.J?
OlegHasky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby JSS » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:37 pm

OlegHasky wrote:Place for me as well mr.J?

Absolutely!

In fact, the intent of the Fall tournament is to have an Ost Front Stalingrad/Moscow flavor.

To answer Abwehr's concern, scenarios proposed for the tournament are:

1. BF "Into the City" (12 turn opening moves scenario to the Stalingrad Update you worked up). Mirror games in this round as scenario is new.

2. BII "Encirclement" (12 turn opening moves scenario to Operation Typhoon). Mirror games here as strategy will be new compared to Battle for Moscow/On to Moscow.

3. BII Kalach Bridge (looking for this as the finals as a bid game between the two players).

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Abwehr » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:42 pm

JSS, does the new version of On to Moscow still feature Soviet Rifle units without AT capabilities (and Germans with a 3 AT shift)? I'm currently playing a game of OTM with sorceror and one thing I've noticed is that the AT shift of woods/towns doesn't really matter as German non-light tank units have a +3 shock bonus, so they still get a +2, which makes defending a lot more difficult for the Soviets as the Germans only need to roll a 2 or 3 for a retreat in most cases. The effect of the CRT's is more or less the opposite of TAO, where it's often nearly impossible to literally impossible to force a retreat. There's also the oddity that getting a shock bonus doesn't require a single good tactical shift.

There's also the seemingly typical SSG things that German motorized divisions have a tank battalion which they shouldn't have in 1941 in most cases and that Tank brigades are overrated (which is the case in most SSG games, a full strength Tank brigade had less than half of the tanks of a full strength Panzer regiment). Tank brigades also somehow consist of two units.

The Soviets also tend to fold more rapidly than historically because mud doesn't use different CRT's it seems and German movement isn't really slowed all that much because the actual OP's per unit don't change when the supply modifier goes down, unlike in Kharkov:DotD/ATD2 (and possibly BF, not sure when it was introduced).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the tournament. BiI Rommel Master of Battle/Kalach is a nice scenario and I liked the Stalingrad scenario as well when I tried it.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:42 am

Abwehr,

Am looking to make Russian mechanized units more mobile... thru not striping supply during the opening. Non-surprised units lose a lot of supply (equal to full movement IIRC) while sitting and waiting to be awakened. Goal of this design is to allow mot engineer, AT, AAA, and artillery units to be more useful. Also looking to reduce full German replacement step availability.

Will see if these changes mitigate the situation you've identified.

JSS
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Abwehr » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:48 am

Sounds good.

One of my pet peeves with OTM is that most of my artillery units can't use strategic movement. With just 4 or 5 OP's on most turns, that means that trying to support the frontline with artillery often results in the demise of artillery units because even though your infantry can often walk to safety across the countryside, avoiding the roads, artillery needs roads. You could say it's historical that the Soviets lose a fair amount of artillery, but it also means I currently have only 5 or 6 artillery units left, mostly because interdiction doomed them. I'd appreciate it if they would be able to use strategic movement in a new version, if you ever intend to rework the entire OTM scenario.

More artillery would also mean more counterattacks, which should increase German attrition. Sorceror still has a fairly large number of 4 step units, and as the Germans have a refit percentage of 20% for some reason, they can also refit for free if they leave some of their units alone during the mud turns.

Also: it seems alert triggers don't work properly in the scenario, at least the reserve activation turn and number of alert points for all alert units values don't correspond to what actually happens in the game.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:22 pm

Soooooooooo, do you have enough participants JSS? :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chris miller » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:07 am

I agree that the German refit does seem too high. It is easy for the Germans to make nearly indiscriminate attacks against the Soviet hordes, realizing that he can merely wait to replenish his forces. This should be reduced in my opinion.

Also, I am likely interested in playing in the Fall tournament although I am also a bit rusty.
chris miller
Major
Major

Tempest beware :-)

Postby Vader » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:48 pm

If you need another, COUNT ME IN...
Vader
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby JSS » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:01 pm

Am counting eight interested players. Will keep the sign up period open until Friday 5 Oct 12. First eight are locked in; will need four or eight more sign ups to expand bracket.

JSS
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Next

Return to Announcements/News