2012 Run5 Tournament #1 Bracket

This forum relates to Announcements, News and General Discussion of SSG products.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

2012 Run5 Tournament #1 Bracket

Postby JSS » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:30 am

Here are the brackets.

Seeding is based on randum number generator from GameFreak (lowest seed is lowest coin flip number, highest seed number is highest coin flip number).
JSS
Site Admin

Run5 2012 Tournament Rules

Postby JSS » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:57 pm

Background on the Tournament Setup:

1. Security - Tournament players should be made aware that all Tournament Games are played in PBEM Secure Mode. The security used by the DBWWII/Kharkov game series involves several hidden keys and files being written to your computer so that PBEM games can be validated prior to loading. You should be advised that reinstalling the SSG game (i.e. Battles in Italy) or your Windows Operation System/Registry mid way through a secure PBEM game may invalid that game. Any games invalidated in this manner will be deemed in the favour of your opponent.

2. Additionally, Secure PBEM games can only be completed on the same PC that the game for that Tournament Round was commenced on.

3. All Tournament Players will be awarded the Run5 2012 Tour of Duty Medal, Tournament winner and 1st runner up will also be presented the winner and runners up medal respectively.

Tournament Rules Detail (aka the fine print):

- All players must be registered on the Run5 Message Boards

- Each round will consist of mirrored games (one game as Allies, one game as Axis) with the combined highest score winning the match.

- All games must be based upon the most recent patch available at the commencement of each Round (so in other words if a new patch is made available mid Tournament then all players must adopt and install that new patch when they commence their next round).

- Advancement into Round 2 and subsequent rounds will be based upon the results of the previous round.

- All games will be issued by the Tournament Master(one time exception made for Abwher & Gen Alexandra)

- All games will be played in PBEM Secure Mode

- All units will be set to hidden

- Combat advisor will be set to on

- All other settings will be set to Normal

- Round 1 opponents will be randomly selected by the Tournament Master/Run5 staff, and once announced are final

- Subsequent round opponents will be determined by previous round winners

- Players should not register and enter the tournament unless they are able to completed a turn at least each 2-3 days. (Turn meaning one of each mirrored game.)

- All players should seek to keep to the above time frames - or Run5 staff/Tournament Master may determine a winner based upon the circumstances of the case if any games are significantly delaying the progress of the Tournament. Note: Please contact Tournament Master if you will have significant delay due to travel/holiday/medical leave etc... for resolution of the way ahead.

- Tournament Rules may be subject to change at the discretion of Run5/SSG; subsequent changes to the rules will be announced via this thread.

- Nofitications of all results of games must be reported to the Tournament Master via email.

- The winner will be declared Run5 '2012' champ!

JSS
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby JSS » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:33 am

Am working thru the process of generating the tournament turn files this weekend. Process is not working as expected so far and will see if RogerK can identify my mistake.

Want to start the tournament on Jan 16, will either have the files produced or we'll go with player generated secure PBEM files for round 1.

JSS
Current PBEM Games

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Abwehr » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:43 am

If we can stick to a turn a day, the General Alexandra vs Abwehr games should be completed by Tuesday as we have 2 turns left to play.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:50 pm

Tournament files (games 3 thru 8 ) are out; each player should have received their Allied turn 1 now.

Many thanks to RogerK for helping me get the opening moves out!

JSS
Last edited by JSS on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current PBEM Games

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Gen Alexandra » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:36 pm

Abwehr wrote:If we can stick to a turn a day, the General Alexandra vs Abwehr games should be completed by Tuesday as we have 2 turns left to play.

With a big win for Abwehr - Dam I am useless at this scenario!
Gen Alexandra
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby mario vallee » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:47 am

I finish my second turn has the Allied yesterday. A quiet, smooth (and lucky) landing so far. 8)
mario vallee
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:25 am

JSS, will we be using the ~2006 tournament files/1.02 version (Allies being the first player) for the 6th Panzer Armee/St Vith scenario or the regular 1.01 version?

Considering the time limit and points, as well as the CRT's (which favour the defender), I'm not sure the scenario is balanced with the Allies starting first, it would probably make things a bit too easy for them.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:26 pm

Oops, bit slow out of the blocks (my fault), but Slevi and I are now off in both games, reckon they'll be done in a week (one way or the other...sadly :cry: ) :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:55 am

Abwehr wrote:JSS, will we be using the ~2006 tournament files/1.02 version (Allies being the first player) for the 6th Panzer Armee/St Vith scenario or the regular 1.01 version?

Considering the time limit and points, as well as the CRT's (which favour the defender), I'm not sure the scenario is balanced with the Allies starting first, it would probably make things a bit too easy for them.

Excellent question. Overall, balance should be ok with mirror games. May need to send round two players a tournament set of scn files so that the scenario begins properly.

JSS
Current PBEM Games

JSS
Site Admin

Postby mario vallee » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:46 pm

Overall, balance should be ok with mirror games. May need to send round two players a tournament set of scn files so that the scenario begins properly.

JSS

Good idea :)
mario vallee
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:22 pm

So you intend to have the Allies start first? That's going to be...tricky to say the least for the Axis.

With the Allies as the first player, there probably won't be a gap in the lines that the Germans can use to drive through and have a decent start.

Considering that the CRT's are even more punishing than those in BiN, that would immediately put the Germans behind schedule.

The Axis would also have 1 turn less to gain points from capturing objectives if they're the second player, as objectives captured on the second phase of the last turn don't count, as I unfortunately discovered in a Konrad game against Pete AU.

The Allies starting first might work with the full TAO scenario, although it's as much of an advantage there as it is in 6th Panzer Armee/St Vith, but in a shorter scenario with a smaller map, I don't think it would be good for balance.

In scenarios like that, the attacker really needs a good first turn to get going, otherwise I'd expect them to get stuck/slow down on the difficult terrain, being unable to dislodge the defenders due to the unfavourable CRT's.

You only have, at most, a 50% chance to force a retreat on the difficult terrain, and for forts you only have a 50% chance to cause a step loss/destroy them at 10:1 odds if there's an entrenched unit in the hex (I was surprised when I saw that, it's kind of silly). The Allies already have things like a 1 radius 2 OP artillery interdiction capability and numerous units being able to interdict like that.

If you want a to a significant extent skill-based game, I'd suggest just using the 1.01 version (possibly with some small bug fixes or smaller changes), but not a version where the Allies start first.

It's up to you, of course, but I just don't see how the Axis are going to get anywhere fast if the Allies can easily plug the gap in their lines on their turn 1.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:13 am

As an example, the Allies could do something like this, which would seriously slow down the Axis at the least, possibly even to the extent of making their defeat inevitable as by the time they break out, the first Allied reinforcements have arrived.

Aside from the armor battalion next to Monschau, the frontline stacks that look like they're unentrenched have an entrenched unit in them, as does the stack 2 hexes east of St Vith.

Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mario vallee » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:55 am

why should the Allies play first exactly ?
mario vallee
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:36 am

They do so in the 1.02 version, which is why I asked which version we'll be using.

I do believe there are some limits to Allied activity on turn 1, but they should still be able to move to more defendable positions.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Announcements/News