2012 SSG Tournament No 1

This forum relates to Announcements, News and General Discussion of SSG products.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby JSS » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:54 am

Noakesy wrote:
I'd like to see an AAR showing that JSS, it's a scenario I enjoy but too often ends up in trenches at some stage. I did play one full game where the axis was all over me (it was horrible :oops: ). I am looking for the sort of game that allows the axis to get somewhere close to Liege, but then possibly pushed back. :D

Well, I'm looking for an opponent to create the AAR :twisted:
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Abwehr » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:35 am

Would you want to play as the Axis or the Allies? It just seems like a scenario the Axis don't have any kind of real chance in provided the Allies get reasonable dice rolls.

Attrition favours the Allies even more than in OTP, the CRT's are more difficult and even though the Axis start with an initial advantage in quality, that advantage will quickly be depleted because the mobile units take most of the losses. The full scenario is just too long and replacements too few for the Axis to have a real chance.

That is, of course, pretty historical, but it doesn't make the scenario a lot of fun. Like OTP, the scenario quickly boils down to whether retreat rolls work or not and whether Allied grinding works, at least: based on my impressions.

There's also the point that the Allies can pull the same trick they can pull in OTP, even though the Allied players I've played against didn't really try to.

If you want to play as the Axis, I'd be in for a game of TAO5. E-mail me in that case and I'll send a secure setup.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mcperis » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:09 am

With a draw in one game and a decisive victory in the other, mcperis bows out of the tourney and mario soldiers on...
mcperis
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby JSS » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:50 am

Abwehr wrote:Would you want to play as the Axis or the Allies? It just seems like a scenario the Axis don't have any kind of real chance in provided the Allies get reasonable dice rolls.

Attrition favours the Allies even more than in OTP, the CRT's are more difficult and even though the Axis start with an initial advantage in quality, that advantage will quickly be depleted because the mobile units take most of the losses. The full scenario is just too long and replacements too few for the Axis to have a real chance.

That is, of course, pretty historical, but it doesn't make the scenario a lot of fun. Like OTP, the scenario quickly boils down to whether retreat rolls work or not and whether Allied grinding works, at least: based on my impressions.

There's also the point that the Allies can pull the same trick they can pull in OTP, even though the Allied players I've played against didn't really try to.

If you want to play as the Axis, I'd be in for a game of TAO5. E-mail me in that case and I'll send a secure setup.

St Vith (tourney version, which I think favors the Axis... with some luck) or TAO5 as the Axis is fine with me :)
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby JSS » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:59 am

mcperis wrote:With a draw in one game and a decisive victory in the other, mcperis bows out of the tourney and mario soldiers on...

Congratulations to Mario & Abwehr as the finalists. Also wish to extend best wishes to all the valiant competition they've faced :)

Proposal is to play Opn Konrad. This is an understated, under-appreciated scenario. As long as Mario is good with this as the finals scenario (mirror games) this is good with me.

This comment is made as Abwehr had some experience in testing the scenario... think its been public for awhile. Mirror game should cover any scenario side advantages... Plus my personal opinion is that this scenario rocks!!!

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

Postby mario vallee » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:40 am

Any scenario is ok for me. I did not play Konrad a lot and never finish a game but it look cool. (My specialty is more Kharkov). Just one think, I will be a bit more slow because I just start a new job. Good luck to you Abwehr :)
mario vallee
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:26 pm

JSS, I also feel 6th Panzer Armee/St Vith favours the Axis, with average dice rolls, but the TAO5 scenario is a lot larger(and it has more turns) and you'd need to use many of the quality formations you can deploy on a narrow front in 6th Panzer Armee/St Vith elsewhere in TAO5.

I'll send you a secure setup for TAO5 in a couple of hours.

-

It's nice that the tournament covered multiple scenarios thus far, for various games. I've enjoyed it a lot thus far. I didn't really touch SSG titles in most of 2011 (at least not PBEM), mostly due to testing War in the East, so it's nice to be playing a couple of PBEM's again.

Mario: good luck with the new job and with our upcoming game.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mario vallee » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:18 pm

I will probably be able to send you my first turn this evening Abwehr.
About your first turn ? :wink:
mario vallee
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:31 am

Probably early on Wednesday.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:58 pm

First turn sent. I'm quite clearly a bit rusty. I didn't realize my artillery could fire at a hex 4 times until I had already moved most of my units. The difficult terrain CRT's are just as unpredictable as in DB series titles, so you need some luck or a tank shift to get anywhere.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mario vallee » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:30 pm

I also did my 2 first turns. So far so good. I received one carpet bombing and zero other air support. Luckily, Herman Goering achieved 4 hits in this massive attack.
I start this scenario many time but I never finish one. It's amazing to see all those strong German units stock in Budapest.
Peter Carr did a great job on the beautiful scenario. :)
mario vallee
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby mario vallee » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:40 pm

Just finish both turn 5. Very, very bloody games. Very tight to. I gest :/ What do you thing Abwehr ?
mario vallee
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Noakesy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:17 pm

Are they enjoyable too? :wink: :D

That's my problem with the ATD games, the carnage gets a bit much.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:59 pm

I initially thought I was toast in my game as the Soviets, due to the Budapest garrison getting 3-4 hexes worth of movement instead of 2 due to a rather hilarious automatic hex conversion on a supply hex due to there not being sufficient Soviet steps adjacent to it (which widened their area of operations). That mostly meant that I lost all 4 supply zones over time thus far and 18th Tank Corps which was in excellent defensive positions initially, but which was screwed when units from Budapest blocked their retreat paths.

As of turn 6 as the Soviets, I've lost most of 18th Tank Corps, a Guards cavalry division, a few cavalry regiments and a bunch of (Guards) Rifle divisions and some support units, but all in all my forces are in a decent shape (the question is: for how long). Axis mobile unit losses are not all that serious yet, although he has lost about two infantry divisions. I haven't touched Budapest thus far. The divisions involved in Konrad II were hit hard and for the moment they're in defensive positions.

As of turn 7 as the Axis, mario vallee has captured some Budapest hexes and I'm holding on to two of the supply hexes. I've lost 3 SS PzG regiments (in 1 attack, you always lose something in the initial turns if you advance), a bunch of Panzer battalions, support units, Hungarian units and about a division worth of units from the German divisions in Budapest. Overall, my forces are still in good shape though and the losses were worth it: 7th Mechanized Corps and 18th Tank Corps are kaput, and about half of 1st Mechanized Corps (the Tank brigade and SU regiments) is also gone as well as about two cavalry divisions and about 1.5 artillery divisions. I think he gets 4th Mechanized Corps now due to me capturing Erd, so he can partially compensate for the loss of the additional mobile units compared to the game where I'm the Soviets.

Konrad is a brutal scenario, when I tested it against Pete, I destroyed the vast majority of his Axis units. Soviet losses are also fairly high most of the time.

The games are certainly enjoyable thus far.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Tournament Final

Postby JSS » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:31 am

Hearing rumblings that the championship match is breaking for one of the contenders. Is this one still being violently contested, or is it too soon to tell?

JSS
JSS
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements/News