2012 SSG Tournament No 1

This forum relates to Announcements, News and General Discussion of SSG products.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Noakesy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:47 am

JSS wrote:Received a report from Slevi showing a very closely contested match... with Noakesy winning by a mere 10 VPs. Sounds like a classic match :)

Congratulations to everyone who participated in the tourney! Will post tourney version St. Vith scenario files today and send out round 2 turn 1 files on Sunday. Will have tourney participation ribbons out this weekend.

JSS

Indeed, I was very lucky (I think it all swung on Slevi losing a unit on the landing!) Good games though, look forward to the next one (probably get to this on Tuesday Abwehr :D ).
Cheers
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:37 am

How's the mcperis/mario vallee game going?

We're at about turn 9, thus far with Axis wins predicted in both games (that is: a draw in favour of the Axis in one game, and a small win for me as the Axis in the other). We're now entering the somewhat boring stage of the scenario, where the US forces should theoretically be counterattacking, which is nearly impossible due to the CRT's. Likewise, the Axis attack is also more or less stuck due to the CRT's. We've both had our share of bad rolls (including double 1's), although Noakesy also had them in the initial turns.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mario vallee » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:53 am

We just finish both turns 7. So far I think I am a bit in advance. Lots of fun !
mario vallee
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:35 pm

The scenario's pretty boring after the initial turns, at least: it can be.

An attack or two, some grinding maybe, end turn. Repeat until turn 16.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mario vallee » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:58 am

We are on turn 13. More quite but still fun. We will probably finish this weekend.
mario vallee
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Noakesy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:02 am

Not sure how 'available' Abwehr is this weekend, but we're down to the last couple of turns also. It's not going terribly well I have to say :wink: :roll:
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:41 pm

Only 2 more turns left, so I'd guess we should be able to finish the game this weekend. At the moment I'm scheduled to win a minor victory as the Axis and a draw in my favour as the Allies.

The latest turns often consisted of shuffling a couple of units around, an attack or two, placing interdiction and hitting end turn. At least in the Omaha scenario, I still needed to think carefully about unit placement. In St Vith, even weak stacks can hold an attack due to the CRT's.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

at bay

Postby mario vallee » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:27 am

Just in case of victory, what will be the next scenarios exactly ?
I never like ATD (because it's terribly unbalance) so I may need some practice before the fight :shock:
mario vallee
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:30 am

Yes, please no stock Kharkov (unbalanced after ATD changes), ATD2 (unbalanced by default) or Rommel:Master of Battle/Kalach (movement rates too generous, combat too deadly). Husky also has issues.

That leaves Soltsy/Shimsk, Kirovograd, Konrad, Stalingrad pocket and possibly Iskra. My personal preference would be Konrad, as it would give both sides some room for errors and room for an actual strategy instead of more or less moving north-south or east-west like in the previous tournament scenarios. Iskra could also be interesting, but it would be somewhat similar to earlier scenarios. At least with Konrad, the difficult CRT's don't cover more or less the entire map area that will be played on.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:29 pm

Soundly beaten by Abwehr over the two games, sadly :cry: . Good luck for the final. :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mario vallee » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:08 pm

One more turn to do. If I win, I will be very please to play any scenario because , after all, it's a mirror game and , in this case, balance is less important.
mario vallee
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:00 am

Without grinding that elite regiment into a pulp in the Axis game I don't think I would've had a minor victory. Capturing Schmidt together with a couple of KIA's in the Allied game made it a draw in my favour, but it could fairly easily have ended in a draw in your favour Andrew.

It was just too bad the scenario isn't particularly exciting after the initial turns.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:32 am

Abwehr wrote:Without grinding that elite regiment into a pulp in the Axis game I don't think I would've had a minor victory. Capturing Schmidt together with a couple of KIA's in the Allied game made it a draw in my favour, but it could fairly easily have ended in a draw in your favour Andrew.

It was just too bad the scenario isn't particularly exciting after the initial turns.

This scenario is much like its longer campaign brother... played one way it stumbles into static lines... played another it is a rolling counter punch thrill ride.

Perhaps you'd like to play a game :twisted: ?
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Abwehr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:02 am

I tried the full TAO5 scenario against the AI, and intended to play it with Noakesy, but I was just too annoyed by the CRT's (as you know, I dislike CRT's that mean progress depends significantly on luck) after playing a 6th Panzer Armee game with Gen Alexandra and the recently finished game of St Vith with Noakesy.

It's even more annoying than OTP due to the terrain being more restrictive.

Whereas the 4 step mobile units taking most of the losses is only a minor problem in 6th Panzer Armee/St Vith, it will probably quickly become a problem for the Axis in TAO5 due to many infantry units only having 3 step regiments.

The final game, if it's going to be a Kharkov/ATD game, will probably be the complete opposite of the first two tournament scenarios, which featured CRT's that pretty much resulted in fairly low casualties by default. It should be a pretty brutal game.

A scenario like Konrad also has tricky CRT's, but there are also non-difficult terrain CRT's in the part of the map that will be fought over. Besides, the way artillery and air strikes work mean you can usually at least cause some casualties.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:30 pm

JSS wrote:This scenario is much like its longer campaign brother... played one way it stumbles into static lines... played another it is a rolling counter punch thrill ride.

I'd like to see an AAR showing that JSS, it's a scenario I enjoy but too often ends up in trenches at some stage. I did play one full game where the axis was all over me (it was horrible :oops: ). I am looking for the sort of game that allows the axis to get somewhere close to Liege, but then possibly pushed back. :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements/News