Over on matrix...

This forum relates to Announcements, News and General Discussion of SSG products.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Over on matrix...

Postby Noakesy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:49 pm

Interesting...like the sound of the NKVD units :D

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/382 ... nd.Edition
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:47 pm

Now thats good to see!
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Talos » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:50 pm

Excellent, looks like we are relatively close to release. :D
"There is only one decisive victory: the last." (Karl von Clausewitz)
3: OTP Axis v JSS
4: Open

ImageImageImage ImageImageImage
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:30 am

I wonder how the NKVD prevents a unit from retreating, does a hex with an NKVD unit remove the AO for that hex for units belonging to the same formation or something? That would mean you can't stack anything with an NKVD unit, though.

BTW Talos, how's your project coming along?
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Tempest » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:41 am

An NKVD unit is treated like any other for combat or stacking purposes. Its special ability is to negate a retreat result from a combat against its hex.

The long winter is finally over with the pending release of ATD2. It is IMHO SSG's piece de resistance.
Tempest
Major
Major

Postby Abwehr » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:49 am

An NKVD unit is treated like any other for combat or stacking purposes. Its special ability is to negate a retreat result from a combat against its hex.

Hmm, but that would mean the NKVD unit would need to be at the frontline, instead of use behind the frontline to "discourage" retreat by shooting retreating troops. I hope they can entrench, otherwise they'll just be killed by the first direct attack.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Malak » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:21 am

This is good news, look forward to this extension and to next incoming ones. :D :wink:
Last edited by Malak on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Iberian » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:13 am

Extremely good news. Awesome.

Now, only two words: give me! give me! :D
Iberian
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:09 am

Way back in Battles in Normandy the unit was named a Political Unit.

The US would deploy it in Bastogne (TAO4) and negate any retreat result.

I am pleased to see the unit return.

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:19 pm

The NKVD units in Konrad work in the same way too.
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:01 pm

Abwehr wrote:Hmm, but that would mean the NKVD unit would need to be at the frontline, instead of use behind the frontline to "discourage" retreat by shooting retreating troops. I hope they can entrench, otherwise they'll just be killed by the first direct attack.

Abwehr, check out TAO scenarios, the McAuliffe counter that usually gets driven into Bastogne just negates all 'R' results (i.e. an A1/D1R would just mean each units loses one step and the defender does not retreat). :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:13 pm

I know about the political units and although it was obvious from the description that the NKVD units would be political units, I couldn't connect the dots. I haven't played enough scenarios with political units to remember how they work.

Edit: By the way, I'm not too sure the system for isolated units is working like it should. According to the manual, a retreat result is automatic for isolated stacks, but in my Konrad playtest with Pete, an isolated stack didn't retreat. It's a single instance, of course, and there might be a good reason for it, or I might be misinterpreting the manual.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete AU » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:29 pm

Was that my heroic Landser company that held off 3 Soviet regiments whilst hiding in the mountains?
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:53 pm

No, I was just blocking that unit. It was a stack in Budapest, I had been attacking it for a couple of turns and it was isolated (red dice rolls) but didn't retreat after being attacked. That was one of the handful of things that didn't quite end up like I had thought they would in the final turn.

3 Soviet "regiments" would have trouble invading my backyard, attacking an entrenched unit with them, even a 1 step one, is basically impossible in difficult terrain.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Malak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:01 am

Noakesy wrote:
Abwehr wrote:Hmm, but that would mean the NKVD unit would need to be at the frontline, instead of use behind the frontline to "discourage" retreat by shooting retreating troops. I hope they can entrench, otherwise they'll just be killed by the first direct attack.

Abwehr, check out TAO scenarios, the McAuliffe counter that usually gets driven into Bastogne just negates all 'R' results (i.e. an A1/D1R would just mean each units loses one step and the defender does not retreat). :D

That could be useful in Stalingrad. Just thinking :roll:
Malak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Next

Return to Announcements/News