New from SSG?

This forum relates to Announcements, News and General Discussion of SSG products.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

New from SSG?

Postby The Red Baron » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:20 pm

Can anyone tell me what's waiting in the wings from SSG? Do they have any new projects they are working on? I've been away from the forums for awhile, and I wondered what might be next.
"Never tell a man how to do something; only tell him what to do, and you will be surprised by his ingenuity." - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
The Red Baron
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Noakesy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:34 pm

Not wishing to pre-empt the makers of the games, they are working on Across the Dneiper for the Kharkov system, and then also bringing some of their BiI scenarios (e.g. Husky) up to the Kharkov system too. Not sure what else they may be working on. :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby The Red Baron » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:32 am

Excellent! I was examining my SSG game collection and considering purchasing Across the Dnepr for use with the Korsun Pocket game engine; however, I'll refrain for the moment if they plan a re-release using the Kharkov game engine. Thanks for the info.
The Red Baron
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Anguille » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:55 am

Frankly, i would like to see this excellent engine in another context than WWII. Maybe WWI, the Civil War or maybe a game set in the antic world (battle of Cannae anyone?).

Cheers
Anguille
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby pete AU » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:40 am

Anguille wrote:Frankly, i would like to see this excellent engine in another context than WWII. Maybe WWI, the Civil War or maybe a game set in the antic world (battle of Cannae anyone?).

Cheers

Doing it mate.

Check the thread for napoleonic Kharkov. I have done the Crimean war and Rocroi 1643 - so its all possible if you get the editing bug.

Ancient warfare could be possible too - havent worked it out yet, however.
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mik » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:57 pm

ancient warfare would be good, but I wonder how you deal with the orientation of units ? I mean how in the editor make a difference with the front and the back of a unit ? A Phalanx unit just can't fight the same way in its 6 possible orientations ...
Mik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby pete AU » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:46 pm

Mik wrote:ancient warfare would be good, but I wonder how you deal with the orientation of units ? I mean how in the editor make a difference with the front and the back of a unit ? A Phalanx unit just can't fight the same way in its 6 possible orientations ...

The game can produce shifts for attacks against mutiple facings. So it could be done to an extent. You would have to pin it with 1 unit and get shifts that go up as the number of attacked facings increase - the editor gives complete control over this. I think its less realistic to think a phalanx would not react with a formation change when appropriate - not having to change facing in the game just reduces fiddling with the counters. You could arrange it so there is no shift against a solid straight line of units - but as gaps appear that important third facing is revealed and you can have up to 6 coulumn shifts right then if you want or increment up gradually for when all facings are attacked.

My biggest delema would be ways to allow charge through of elephants and chariots in the pre SPQR era (ie Alexander). It would have to involve replacement hees into enemy territory - and thats a bit tricky.
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mik » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:43 am

I noticed this possibility (shifts for attacks against mutiple facings), but from what I understood, I think that if you're attacking an hex from 2 hex for instance, you get the 2 hex column shift, no matter what hexes you're attacking from, am I right ?

A lone unit or a group of units, let's say some cav, sneaking behind a carthaginian line would attack the back of a phalanx with no benefit ?
Mik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby flick » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:03 am

So how is the kharkov engine better?
flick
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby pete AU » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:48 pm

Mik wrote:I noticed this possibility (shifts for attacks against mutiple facings), but from what I understood, I think that if you're attacking an hex from 2 hex for instance, you get the 2 hex column shift, no matter what hexes you're attacking from, am I right ?

A lone unit or a group of units, let's say some cav, sneaking behind a carthaginian line would attack the back of a phalanx with no benefit ?

The scenario designer can change the degree of shift. However, at this stage i have no reasonable solution for flank attacks on a phalanx where no other units are involved. It could be represented by way of vp locations behind a phalanx being captured making the loss of the unit more expensive (if you get my train of thought). However, I think I'd be trying to wring too much out of the engine not really designed for that era.
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:35 am

Some "if, then" modifiers in the editor would upon up a lot of options for scenario design, as would the ability to add a side always controlled by the computer (in the case of Ancient warfare Carthage, Rome and Rampaging Elephants, for example).

As morale itself is abstracted in the engine, there is no way to hurt a unit to a degree that it won't follow player orders. A third side could change all that.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mik » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:28 am

flick wrote:So how is the kharkov engine better?

it's better only if you consider that having more tools (mainly the Op Area) to design your scenario is a good thing.
But it also makes the scenario designer's job more ocmplex ....
Mik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Return to Announcements/News