BiN costs more than Battlefront at matrix. WHY?

This forum relates to Announcements, News and General Discussion of SSG products.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

BiN costs more than Battlefront at matrix. WHY?

Postby SeventhMonkeyKing » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:28 pm

I know this could be/is a touchy subject.

But to me BiN , a game two years old , costing more than your second most recent release is ill considered.

I am a way old SSG fan . For my commadore 64 i owned - caw,europe ablaze,panzer battles,hallsofmontazuma,russia, reach for the stars.

I have purchased BiI and CAW of late. I now want BiN!!!!!!
As a usually vs AI guy , I am thinking BiN may be more to my liking than BiI.??

so , why is BiN more than Battlefront? have matrix gone to sleep?
or maybe BiN is still a bigger seller than others and so is being milked?
I don't know , but I know the germans get a darned cheap copy!

Do I have to wait till a xmas special!

Will the Aussie dollar still be as strong vs US$.
Perhaps it will eclipse the US$ - and I will be glad of the wait.

If you are wondering why I would not buy Battlefront before BiN , it seems to me BFt has many more pieces. I am after a little less management. I'm probably delusional as BiN is the BIG ONE, with lots of units . ah so. And that is why i like CAW, a very satisfying quickie!

But anyway - love you SSG , it's good stuff.

SMK
"I am not an Animal , I am a HumanBeing"
SeventhMonkeyKing
Corporal
Corporal

Postby JSS » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:11 pm

As far as I can tell BiN-BII-BF all are priced the same ($49.99)... of course I click on the US "Where's Waldo" flag...

You will find some of the smaller BiN scenarios to be quite manageable... about the same size in units/length as Saipan (actually a lit more manageable IMHO).
JSS
Site Admin

Postby sorcerer » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:16 am

Attention...while the smaller scenarios are fun they are not very balanced. Come to think of it the large ones are not balanced either. :shock:
Image Image Image Image Image Image
sorcerer
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:14 am

sorcerer wrote:Attention...while the smaller scenarios are fun they are not very balanced. Come to think of it the large ones are not balanced either. :shock:

Attention:...but they are good fun, and if you and your opponent are happy to play mirror or swap armies afterwards what's the hassle..... :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby sorcerer » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:08 am

Noakesy wrote:...but they are good fun, and if you and your opponent are happy to play mirror or swap armies afterwards what's the hassle..... :D

When you are doing everything you can and are still down by 500, 2,000 points what is another 10,20,50 points? It encourages looser play and people to pay far less attention and not play as they would do.

When it is balanced and everybody is scraping with their backs against the wall for every 10,20,50 points, that is when it is the most exciting and when you see some brilliantly constructed moves pulled off.

For example in our game of Velikiye Luki: If it was horribly un-balanced to the tune of 1,000 points do you think we would have been encouraged to scrape and scrap for every little hex of frozen hell in order to keep open the road to Velikiye Luki or that you have would mercilessly attacked the bunkers in Luki every turn using every last unit. The answer is a resounding no!
sorcerer
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Joe » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:38 am

In my view Saipan and Market Garden are well balanced.

Play mirror games against an equal opponent and the results could go either way each time!

As for the other 2, I am still studying them.

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:11 pm

sorcerer wrote:For example in our game of Velikiye Luki: If it was horribly un-balanced to the tune of 1,000 points do you think we would have been encouraged to scrape and scrap for every little hex of frozen hell in order to keep open the road to Velikiye Luki or that you have would mercilessly attacked the bunkers in Luki every turn using every last unit. The answer is a resounding no!

Yep, you're probably right. The thing with BiN (I mostly play the larger games) is that although I often find it difficult to win as allies, I still enjoy it, so I don't get too distraught. I've only played the smaller ones in the tourny that Smurf set up, and that was quite good as each game was played as a mirror so didn't get too hacked off with it.
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SeventhMonkeyKing » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:11 am

hey , my subject has been hijacked!!!

let's get back to $ and cents.

so if the US pay $50 for everything then why am i being asked to pay
AUS$ 63.99 BIN and AUS$65.99 BF (which is now more than BIN - a change from my original whinge)

WHEN the AUS$ is now .95cents to the US$ which = AUD$52.26??????

errrrr i'll quite moaning and press the PAY IN US BUTTON.
"I am not an Animal , I am a HumanBeing"
SeventhMonkeyKing
Corporal
Corporal

Postby stevel40831 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:13 am

I own BiI/BiN/KP/BF and like them in that order. BiI & BiN are very close in my rankings. I like them because they're very playable, have a decent number of stock scenarios, have solid campaigns and a decent number of user-created scenarios.

Since these games cannot be purchased at a store (other than KP) I don't really think the age of the game should be the driving force behind the price -- a very cool game is a very cool game regardless of how old it is. There really isn't much reason for digital downloads (most of the purchases I'm assuming) to drop in price as you cannot resell easily if at all.

Although BiN might be 2 years old, I feel it's much more game for your money than BF for reasons I've already rehashed elsewhere. Buy it, you won't be disappointed!

Steve

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out."

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
stevel40831
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Taught at Carl's tender hand

Postby critter » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:03 am

Before you slam tthe games too much, plz consider it might be you!!!
I remeber seeing KP/ATD in a mag. Had to have it.
Started playing it. WAS HUGHLY DISSAPOINTED !!! Even wrote to the forum using phrases like. " has any one ever taken Smolensk, Cut off the Germans at KP?"
Hell I've been playing wargames since you had to carve your own dice

Got an email from Carl Meyers "curse his evil soul" ....wanna Play??? Wupped me like I stole something. He took Smolensk.. and killed about 4 Russian army's doing it. Cut off my germ army at KP and greased his tracks in their guts. Hell his attack was so good... I'll admitt it, I stole some of his moves in my openings.
I think they're alot more balanced than You give them credit for. But alot of it is in the opening moves, Interdiction, supply understanding.
It would help alot if a thread were started like the Day trip to the Normandy beaches articles, That showed Opening moves in the other games as well.. SSG were are you?
critter
Major
Major

Postby Kingpin » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:47 am

Sorcerer is a pretty good player. I doubt its him.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kingpin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Bertram » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:25 pm

About the play balance in KP: dont forget the game got several updates. As a result the game now plays totally different then when it was on version 1.0.

The battles changed but a little (I mean the units, terrain, victory conditions), and certainly play balance was not revisited after the updates.

Bertram
Bertram

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bertram
Captain
Captain

Re: Taught at Carl's tender hand

Postby sorcerer » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:51 pm

critter wrote:Before you slam tthe games too much, plz consider it might be you!!!
I remeber seeing KP/ATD in a mag. Had to have it.
Started playing it. WAS HUGHLY DISSAPOINTED !!! Even wrote to the forum using phrases like. " has any one ever taken Smolensk, Cut off the Germans at KP?"
Hell I've been playing wargames since you had to carve your own dice

Got an email from Carl Meyers "curse his evil soul" ....wanna Play??? Wupped me like I stole something. He took Smolensk.. and killed about 4 Russian army's doing it. Cut off my germ army at KP and greased his tracks in their guts. Hell his attack was so good... I'll admitt it, I stole some of his moves in my openings.
I think they're alot more balanced than You give them credit for. But alot of it is in the opening moves, Interdiction, supply understanding.
It would help alot if a thread were started like the Day trip to the Normandy beaches articles, That showed Opening moves in the other games as well.. SSG were are you?

First of all my original post in this thread was refering to the scenarios in BiN. And I stand by what I said, the scenarios in BiN are not balanced.

On the otherhand...the full campaign scenario in KP is balanced. I won't talk about AtD since I don't own it.

Finally...you should not take Carl Myers so called ''abilities'' as a yardstick for balanced scenarios.
sorcerer
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Missy's Pissy

Postby critter » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:09 am

I didnt mean to ruffle your skirts. Just tried to show alot depends on your expierance. I agree some of the Sen's need revisited.
While I havent played alot of the players on this forum. Carl was the one who broke me on making the bold statements I was making based on my "limited" exp at the time.
As far as his abilitys...He won the normandy breakout tourny.
Maybe players should start playing multple games and present our findings to SSG.
critter
Major
Major

Postby Chris Merchant » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:55 pm

Maybe players should start playing multple games and present our findings to SSG

SSG would already have a database of this information via the ladder.

An item for the ladder wishlist would be a display of win/loss numbers for each scenario split into Axis/Allied - that would all give us a good yardstick as to balance in PBEM, especially if there's a good number of game registrations.

cheers
Chris Merchant
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Next

Return to Announcements/News