Ladder scoring system observation...

This forum relates to Announcements, News and General Discussion of SSG products.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Ladder scoring system observation...

Postby Canuck » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:07 pm

I'm just thinking about maybe signing up for the ladder system and I noticed something I thought was a little strange. I was checking out Fantassin's record (wow 55 wins and zero losses!) and I noticed that his rank and his highest rank ever are exactly the same. Now this in itself isn't strange but I also noticed that he hasn't played a ranked game since May of 2006. This suggests to me that there's no sort of score degradation system in place. In my opinion, there needs to be some kind of system like that in place or else the top 10 of the ladder will be filled with people who haven't played in the past 2 years. Umm anyways that's it I guess! Just thought I'd throw in my two cents.
Canuck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby sorcerer » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:35 am

Hi Canuck.....I'll try and answer the best I can.

When I first signed up for the ladder a few years ago, I was also struck by that...wow..that guy hasn't lost a ladder game ever. I thought surely once the dice have gone against him in a close game.

Anyway...there have been a couple of ''scandals'' regarding the member you refer to in your post. Some long standing and respected members of this forum put forward evidence of that user cheating. However it was then explained that the level of evidence has to be at ''smoking gun'' level for something to be done.

So the user in question wasn't removed from the website or ladder, but from that time he did stop playing games and also since then certain forum members refuse to play PBEM against him.

Finally the only way that user keeps at the top of the ladder is by signing in once every six months..which keeps his status as active.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
sorcerer
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Canuck » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:11 am

Ahh I see. Well 55 and 0 is pretty unbelievable. But that wasn't really my point. If people lost points through lack of playing then perhaps they would play more often to keep their ranking. All they have to do is log in? Surely they need to at least play a game within the last 6 months in order to keep their ranking.
Canuck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby JSS » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:30 am

Also note that each year has its own standings which stand alone.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Joe » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:14 pm

JSS wrote:Also note that each year has its own standings which stand alone.

As does each game.

There are filters there for good reason.

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Announcements/News