Run 5 Community Security Policy

This forum relates to Announcements, News and General Discussion of SSG products.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Run 5 Community Security Policy

Postby Gregor Whiley » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:18 pm

SSG was forced to institute a Secure Mode for PBEM games when it became apparent that some people could not play on the honor system. It now appears that further steps will have to be taken. So, just so we all understand, here is a summary of how things stand.

There are to be no public accusations. If you have concerns, email support@ssg.com.au along with your evidence.

If we receive what we consider to be evidence of abuse of the system then a three step process will be initiated.

Step 1 is a warning to the player concerned. This warning indicates concern about your playing style. If you are doing the wrong thing, then you should stop. If you’ve just had extraordinarily good luck, then we will be watching, and expecting your luck to return to normal levels.

Step 2 is a ban on tournament play and a possible revocation of tourney progress. Other players will have to be informed of this step.

Step 3 should never be necessary, but is a complete ban from all aspects of the Run 5 community.

This policy can be retrospective and has no statute of limitations. We can go back at any time, using whatever methods we see fit, to take a look at your play. You should consider your tournament play files to be like samples given for drug testing, just sitting in the fridge.

This policy can be implemented by SSG or anybody we delegate.

If, in looking at historical events, we find a pattern of abuse, we reserve the right to implement any or all steps of the policy. The warning policy will apply as of now.

For obvious reasons, SSG will not be revealing any technical details about secure games or possible changes to security protocols. These will be changed and improved for our next game. However, regardless of methods used, abuse of the system results in outcomes better than would normally be the case, and so reveals itself. In other words, you can be too lucky and if you are then this policy will be implemented.

Naturally, if any of these points are unacceptable to you, then it is your choice not to participate in tournament or ladder games. We feel that this policy is necessary to ensure that people can enjoy friendly games untainted by suspicion, and we will do whatever we can to ensure that this happens.

Gregor
Gregor Whiley
Vice President, SSG
www.ssg.com.au
Gregor Whiley
SSG

Postby panzmatt » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:48 pm

I seem to keep rolling ones, 11 in one turn with only one 6, four times on a 10-1 where only a one would not get the desired result. Other times I get great rolls, but they do seem very random.
I am sorry these steps have become neccessary to keep our game and community whole.. long live the game! Thank you for addressing these issues, and for keeping the design open so we are able to creat new varied scenarios... great team! each new release keeps getting better, thnaks again,
Matthew
panzmatt
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Tempest » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:12 pm

Gregor,

I'm sure the consensus of the Run5 community is that the new policy provides a sure resolution to any unlikely problems.

Now if we all clap our hands and say "Robjess" three times he might consider coming out of hiatus and everyone can return to their interests; you developing, Robjess moderating, and the Run5 community happily knocking heads while enjoying the art of your craft.

Thanks to SSG for their trademark simple but elegant solution.
Tempest
Major
Major

Postby Noakesy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:52 am

Tempest wrote:Now if we all clap our hands and say "Robjess" three times he might consider coming out of hiatus and everyone can return to their interests; you developing, Robjess moderating, and the Run5 community happily knocking heads while enjoying the art of your craft.

Absolutely. Now for god's sake, let's get back to playing the games, enjoying the 'banter' (good or bad :wink: ) and persuading mr robjess to take back his position as moderator :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:56 am

Noakesy wrote:
Absolutely. Now for god's sake, let's get back to playing the games, enjoying the 'banter' (good or bad :wink: ) and persuading mr robjess to take back his position as moderator :D

Hopefully we can convince him a Sabbatical is in order... Brubaker took a short one and returned with better than ever scenarios. I truly hope Robjess can get a rest and recharge his batteries :)
JSS
Site Admin

Postby pete AU » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:56 am

JSS wrote:
Noakesy wrote:

Hopefully we can convince him a Sabbatical is in order... Brubaker took a short one and returned with better than ever scenarios. I truly hope Robjess can get a rest and recharge his batteries :)

Yes - a sabbatical, he can thusly complete all the mapwork i've loaded him with :twisted: :twisted: . I don't wanting wasting time administering the forum when there's work to be done (only kidding).
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:23 pm

After 2 weeks of R&R up in rainy old Port Douglas - I have advised Gregor that I am now stepping back into the Run5 Admin Role (along with JSS who never really went anywhere)..

Be nice or I may start deleting accounts :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Noakesy » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:29 pm

Good news, pleased to hear it, welcome back on board. :D

We're off camping at some point next week, so the ridiculously hot weather in UK must be just about due to end!
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mart » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:55 pm

Rainy?

Port Douglas is lovely!!

Well - it was 35 years ago!

Lucky *@*&#!

Welcome back!! :D
Mart
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Joe » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:59 pm

Robjess wrote:....am now stepping back into the Run5 Admin Role

Welcome back Rob, we have missed you. :)
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Kilgore Trout » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:40 am

Robjess wrote:I have advised Gregor that I am now stepping back into the Run5 Admin Role

Glad to hear you've reconsidered, Rob. Welcome back.
Image Image
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. "

--Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Kilgore Trout
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby panzmatt » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:32 am

nothing but love to Rob, exciept when he overruns my units!
panzmatt
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby pete AU » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:27 pm

Welcome Rob

You'll like the Run5 forums - its full of friendly helpful people.

:-)
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Howard7x » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:07 am

Well done Rob, never could get rid of a bad smell :wink:
Never, ever.... ever again!

Image ImageImageImageImage
Howard7x
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Joel137 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:33 pm

pete AU wrote:Welcome Rob

You'll like the Run5 forums - its full of friendly helpful people.

:-)
:lol:

Glad you took the R&R and that it had its needed affect!!
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Announcements/News