Board Enhancements

This forum relates to Announcements, News and General Discussion of SSG products.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Manny » Fri May 21, 2004 8:12 pm

Does that work with bank balances too ?! :D
Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Fri May 21, 2004 8:54 pm

Ok I have just included a Spell Checker into the forums (I just have to remember to use it now)..

You should see it as a button (SpelCheck) on the left when you create a new message.. for some reason it doesnt appear to be inserted the corrected words back into the message.. but its still handy to identify any missmelt :) words which you can then manually correct in the message body yourself..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Joel137 » Fri May 21, 2004 11:23 pm

Rob,

I think you should label that button the "Rob Button". :twisted:
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Fri May 21, 2004 11:30 pm

Spelling is optional around here.. you should know that..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby pterrok » Fri May 21, 2004 11:31 pm

robjess wrote:.. one such thing is the ability to upload and attach files - infact I have installed and it tested it and it works fine.. but it is disabled for the time being, I will look to enable it over the next few days..

You are da MAN, man!

It should serve to give you back a bit of time each day when you don't have to post files and pics for other people! :wink:
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Sat May 22, 2004 12:23 am

Cant say I havent been busy! 12.22am and still going.. latest enhancement is the inclussions of a users signature/medals when you now view their profile.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Keith » Sat May 22, 2004 1:23 am

Is there any way, Rob, that you can arrange for those of us who benefit from these forums to help defray the cost of supporting them. I'd bet there are a lot of people -- or at least one -- who are willing to chip in.
Keith
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby pterrok » Sat May 22, 2004 8:08 am

The main page is closing in on 100,000 hits--wonder what'll happen when it gets there--roll-over to zero or add another digit?

Funny thing about spellcheckers, Rob, is that 'now' and 'not' are both valid words and so they won't be flagged! :lol:
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Sat May 22, 2004 8:42 am

Keith, whilst I go on about it.. the cost isnt all that much.. the biggest cost for me is the time I spend on the community.. and I wouldnt do it if I didnt enjoy it anyway.. and unless someone wants to employ me and match my salary at my real life job then its a non issue.

The actual running costs (hosting and bandwidth) are not that expensive as it is.. SSG have offered to assist - they are actually very very supportive and I take my hat off to them for all of the support they do give us here at Run5. Infact they make us privy to alot of things and always keep us in the loop with stuff.. sometimes we are not alot to mention it.. but generally they give us the scoop on alot of stuff that they are doing long before anyone else may know. To my mind that shows that they trust and support us 100%.

But there are 2 main reasons why I dont really want to accept payment from anyone (except job offers :)):

1. Chris and I dont want to lose any control of Run5. Im not saying that we are control freaks.. as most of you know we are not we generally listen to what the community says in terms of what they want and expect from Run5 and we do our best to deliver in line with those expectations. If we charged a subscription fee from you guys then it all becomes sort of professional.. I then have to account for money, and it makes it hard for me to ban someone from the board if I want to. Mind you I have never banned anyone and I dont intend to. But to my mind paying customers make the whole thing different from my point of view.. if you are paying for a service and if the board is down for a week or if something isnt working on the board then you may be justified in complaining and I will feel compelled to put my real life on hold to fix it.. even if thats not what I wanted to do. Whilst this service and board is free.. then you cant really complain if something is broken or if I am taking a week to fix the broken ladder. Know what I mean?

2. And the other reason is that any money you want to pay in subscription fees to Run5 - then I say put under your pillow and put towards the next game from SSG - and then consider it as a discount from Run5 off the price of the game :)

Now on the other hand if for some reason the overheads sky rocket then we may revist that :) But mostly I will do my very best to keep Run5 free to the community.. as I said SSG have indicated that if it ever becomes an issue I should speak to them.

Furthermore, I think I saw someone mention in one of the threads about whether Run5 would close shop if Chris or myself ever got sick of it.. well it wouldnt. The only reason we would close up shop I think is if the community disappeard.. and I dont think it is going to. If we decided we didnt want to do this anymore, Im sure there are plenty of people out there who we could and would hand this over to..
Last edited by Robjess on Sat May 22, 2004 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Sat May 22, 2004 8:43 am

Pterrok I hope the counter adds another Zero! And yes the smellchecker doesnt address me NOW and NOT issues :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Sat May 22, 2004 9:09 pm

Summary of Updates:

Over the last 24 hours I have implemented 17 seperete mods to the forums.. most of them you probably wont even notice, although there are some major ones.. here is a summary of what I have done FYI:

1. Attachment Mod - you will very shortly be able to upload and attach files to your posts. I have decided to do this so that unsecure save games and AARs can be distributed. There will be some limits and rules in relation to attachments, so I will not be enabling it until I have communicated them.

2. There is a new link on the above menu called "Board Rules". I havent typed them in yet, but I will do shortly. This is where I will communicate the rules relating to things like the Attachments to messages, I will also communicate some general rules (like be nice people :)) and I will also include the General Tournament Rules there too.. I will announce when I have done this.

3. A spell Checker has been included to assist those people like me who think that spelling is optional.

4. I have upgraded the Registration Agreement for new uses. There have only been minor changes and these will be reflected in the Board Rules when they are done.

5. I have made some changes on the Admin side of things which makes it easy for me to do some of the more behind the scene stuff.

6. You can now view a users sig when you view their profile - so you can easily see a users medals (for those who showcase them). User Profiles now also show when a user was last logged on.

7. The Auto log on check box is now defaulted to enabled.

8. When you send a Private Message (PM) you can now select the recipient via a drop down user list rather then having to do a search on their name.

9. A new 'Comments' field has been added to your User Profile. I intend to have Tournament and PBEM players use this field to notate periods which they will be out of town or unable to repond to PBEM turns. More on this later.

10. There is now an automated Image Gallery accessed via the Album link on the menu above. You are free to post your own DBWWII screen shots or even a mug shot of yourself. There will be some restrictions on file sizes etc which I will detail in the board rules.

11. I have automated a welcome Private Message for when newbies register.

And as stated previously I have made several behind the scenes changes to the structure, code and Admin provisions or the Forums. All up it should make for a happier forum :)

I will provide more detail in the Board Rules when I finish typing them up..
Last edited by Robjess on Sat May 22, 2004 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Sat May 22, 2004 9:12 pm

Great work Rob!
ImageImage Image
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Manny » Sat May 22, 2004 10:20 pm

Wow ! Did you remember to eat in between all that ? :lol:
Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Sat May 22, 2004 10:41 pm

Not much time for eating.. I have the flu actually.. so I did most of that whilst moving between the lounge and the PC and back again..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Manny » Sat May 22, 2004 11:35 pm

Spoken like a trooper !

Get back to that map :wink:
Manny
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements/News