Board Enhancements

This forum relates to Announcements, News and General Discussion of SSG products.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Board Enhancements

Postby Robjess » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:01 pm

I am in the process of adding some additional functionality to the forums, the first is a different Chat program.

This one is now linked to these Forums. The link to the chat can be found from the forums index, in the Who's On Line Box towards the bottom of the page. It will also tell you how many people are currently in chat.

Now off to make some more changes..
Last edited by Robjess on Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:13 pm

Any chance we'll see a "Go to first unread post" feature added at some point?
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:15 pm

As in the thread?

From then main index up the top right there is the view all unanswered posts and view all posts since last visit.. is that what you mean?

If anyone has any specific knowledge about php or phpbb sing out :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:41 pm

robjess wrote:As in the thread?

From then main index up the top right there is the view all unanswered posts and view all posts since last visit.. is that what you mean?

If anyone has any specific knowledge about php or phpbb sing out :)

Yes, I meant within a thread. If there is a thread that is several pages long and I've read all but the last new post in it I'd like to be able to go directly to that post somehow. I'll try the method you describe.
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:51 pm

Lee I have have a seach of the PHPbb hacks and see if there is a mod available for what you have suggested. My PHP skills (and time) dont extend at this stage to being able to write specific code to do this.. but if there is a mod available I am happy to implement it on to the forums for you.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Lee Elmendorf » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:23 am

Thanks. And your skills must be better than mine as I don't even know what PHP stands for! :oops:
Lee Elmendorf
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Thu May 20, 2004 8:38 am

The forums have undergone an upgrade.. you may have noticed that they now have a new home.. I would prefer that people use the general http://run5.wargamer.com address as their book marks as you will always be able to get to any part of Run5 from the menu there.

Most of the upgrade changes to the forums should be invisible to you, but if you notice that something is broken or not working the way it should please bring it to my attention and I will look at it when I get home from work today.. (yes I have a proper job too!)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Joel137 » Thu May 20, 2004 10:55 am

What's the status of the ladder standings repair?
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Thu May 20, 2004 11:27 am

my games are not updated...

maybe a good idea to close the report game part until everything is fixed, or?

/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Thu May 20, 2004 4:07 pm

The ladder is in the process of being fixed.. if someone would like to allocate more hours to the day, so that there are more then 24 hours then it may be fixed quicker.. until that time though I am doing the best I can :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby pterrok » Thu May 20, 2004 11:06 pm

VERY interesting result when you try the 'Run 5 Forums' link from the Ladder page right now.. :shock:
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Thu May 20, 2004 11:31 pm

Oh yeah :) Thats my 404 error page that I wrote.. hehehe

I will fix that link tomorrow.. time for bed now..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Twinkle » Thu May 20, 2004 11:42 pm

robjess wrote:The ladder is in the process of being fixed.. if someone would like to allocate more hours to the day, so that there are more then 24 hours then it may be fixed quicker.. until that time though I am doing the best I can :)

It was certainly no criticism, just thought to mention that I have seen people starting to do some posting and could have some effect on the statistics unless all missing games are fixed before any new ladder reporting is done. So my suggestion was only to close down the webpage for reporting.

Me to, I want at least 29 hours, and maybe one hour less sleep. :D

/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Fri May 21, 2004 7:00 pm

We will try and add the results we know about over the weekend.

In other news, I have changed the scary 404 error page - sorry about that, its the error page I use for robjess.com - (if you didnt see it, it was a mock dos screen which seemed to format your hdd - if you want to look at it here is is: Old 404 Error Page. The new 404 error page is a bit more friendly and should freak those less computer savy people out too much :)

Also, as most of you know the forums here have been upgraded with a fresh install, which allows me to add some additional functionality.. one such thing is the ability to upload and attach files - infact I have installed and it tested it and it works fine.. but it is disabled for the time being, I will look to enable it over the next few days, but with that will come some 'terms of agreement' so that it doesnt get abused too much and throw my bandwidth through the roof.. remember these forums are paid for by me..

I will also be adding some other new neato stuff to the forums.. now, if only we could add those few extra hours to the day..

And finally, this is as good as time as any to thank you all for your fine support in making this such a nice and friendly community.. pat yourselves on the back lads.. :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

More hours

Postby Carl Myers » Fri May 21, 2004 8:05 pm

>> I will also be adding some other new neato stuff to the forums.. now, if only we could add those few extra hours to the day.. <<

Okey, dokey, switching to octal, you now have 30 hours a day,
:lol:
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Next

Return to Announcements/News