SSG Commodore 64 Games

This forum relates to Announcements, News and General Discussion of SSG products.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

SSG Commodore 64 Games

Postby Robjess » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:14 am

Remember the Commodore 64? Remember where it all started? Battlefront, Europe Ablaze, Decisive Battles of the American Civil War?

Well lets step back in time and all go Retro..

SSG have allowed me to make the following Commodore 64 files available to you all. They are all here - all of your favourites;

Europe Ablaze, Decisive Battles of the American Civil War Vol I-III, Battlefront, Battles in Normandy, Carriers at War, Halls of Montezuma, MacArthurs Battles, Panzer Battles, Reach For the Stars (Versions I-III), Rommel, and Great War in the East - Russia.

I have tested many (not all of these files) and they all appear to work fine! Infact I have had a great time having a look at these - so good I wanted to share them (with SSG's endorsement).

To play these games you will need to install a Commodore 64 Emulator - I installed and have used The Vice Emulator (note that SSG does not endorse this product).

You can download the Windows 32bit version from here.

Once installed, then go and download the SSG Commodore 64 Images from the SSG Files Page, unzipped them and away you go. Fire up your C64 Emulator and then load one of the SSG C64 Images.

Now for all of the technical/legal stuff:

SSG do not endorse any of the C64 Emulators mentioned on this site - unless they specifically state otherwise. SSG does not provider user support any C64 Emulators that you may install on your machine.

The SSG C64 image files are provided for your own personal use and are not specifically supported by SSG - although if you have any questions about them or their use, post them here and Im sure someone from the community will be able to assist.

SSG retains all rights to its games, and prohibits any commercial exploitation of these and any other SSG products.

In other words - SSG are quite happy for you to download these files and play them for your own personal use. But are you prohibited from using them for commercial purposes and SSG will not provide any user support in relation to these files.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby chris miller » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:21 pm

I am one those unfortunate enough to have been just young enough to miss the glory days? of the C64. I simply have no idea what the syntax or command lines mean?

I downloaded the required files to play these old games, but when I autostarted the disk/image, it just sat there and told me to Please Wait...

All I want to do is load up the game and play it. How do I do this?
chris miller
Major
Major

Postby chris miller » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:42 pm

Nevermind. I just had to wait longer. :lol:
chris miller
Major
Major

Postby Twinkle » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:44 pm

chris miller wrote:I am one those unfortunate enough to have been just young enough to miss the glory days? of the C64. I simply have no idea what the syntax or command lines mean?

:) :D I always had to explain how simple DOS commands worked for the first year undergraduate students at my former department... it was really fun... And C64 was before that... Oh, I miss my cassette loaded games; they were a lot of fun.

SSG; thanks a lot, I will fire up Europe Ablaze then I find time to do so.

Regards
/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:02 pm

Ok.. and to take this a step further.. I have managed to get these games to work on my Pocket PC - and I must admit its quite fun playing them on a hand held.

So if anyone else has a PPC and wants to emulate these then go and grab one of the many C64 Emu's for the PPC.

Nothing like playing Russia during a National Exec meeting at work :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby wryun » Tue May 03, 2005 10:14 pm

Given what was said in the announcement, I realise this is unlikely, but is there any possible of source code being released? I could spend a few paragraphs on why this would be a wonderful idea, if that would help :)!

[I'd be particularly interested in the code for the early PC games]
wryun
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Joe » Tue May 03, 2005 11:25 pm

Macarthur's War was the best of the lot

It had a scenario editor.............
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Wed May 04, 2005 8:14 pm

They all had scenario editors..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Tommy E » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:43 am

Hey! Here you have a guy who still owns the original games of both Panzer Battle and Rommel + maps and complete manuals. They add atmosphere to the game!
For everyones information I know that the manuals to Panzer Battle & Rommel are found here:
http://files.the-underdogs.org//games/p ... bfront.txt

No maps to be found on the net I am afraid.
What I also miss are scenario descriptions to both Battlefront and Battles for Normandy but I guess I can find good descriptions of the battles on the net.

Still playing and enjoying Rommel and Panzer Battles on the C64! Thanks SSG! :-)
Tommy E
New Recruit

Great Memories

Postby loqtes » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:07 am

I had all these games. I was a big SSG fan. I subscribed to Run 5 for years. My favorite was Carriers at War. I still have the old PC version of that one but it does not run well on a fast XP system. I would love to see SSG rework that program. I lost track of SSG for years. I have just now relocated them through Matrix Games. I am glad to see them still in business and have future plans to bring home SSG games all over again. They created some great times for me.
loqtes
New Recruit

Postby Crocky » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:35 pm

Europe Ablaze now I rember that one awesome game way back then :)
Crocky
Private
Private

great

Postby demyansk » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:04 am

great info guys, I used to have all the games from ssg and I still own macarthur's war and rommel, i downloaded the 32 bit vice emulator and then the ssg games. I have it figured out and it looks like its working however, do i use the vice c64 emulator or the 128 ?

Also, what is the best way to start the games?
thanks
demyansk
Private
Private

Postby demyansk » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:06 am

also,

the type in the screen is small and for an old timer i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best setup? By the way, I still own a number of RUN 5 magazines!!!
demyansk
Private
Private

Postby Robjess » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:52 am

SSG wont support the emulator.. but I got it running ok using the C64 emu.. Im overseas at the moment.. but when I get back next week I will be more then happy to help you out .. so let me know how you go..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby CESteman » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:47 pm

overseas? Where the heck are you? I thought you didn't leave AU :)
Christian
Image ImageImageImage
CESteman
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Next

Return to Announcements/News