Is SSG still alive??

This forum relates to Announcements, News and General Discussion of SSG products.

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Re: Is SSG still alive??

Postby Roger Keating » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:39 am

SSG is a very small company these days and with not a great amount of liquid cash that allows for development. Yes, we are still working and have acquired the help of other individuals to allow us to make the next game. We were developing a new game very similar to the ones you have mentioned but as Ian, our main developer, died 5 years ago we had two new developers who couldn't fulfill the requirements and the development just died a natural death as I certainly have not the abilities to compile the necessary OB's and get them working.

Since then we have re-evaluated all that we have been doing and taken another course which we will release when it is time. I also work part-time as a games programming teacher which also limits the hours to put into the project.

I have always enjoyed the old war games and if things improve I have a lot of ideas about where I would like to go next but at the moment it is just the next step.

Thank you for the kind words and I hope that in the future SSG can in fact release a game that you will like.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby U2-fan » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:43 am

Hi Roger

thanks so much for answering. I'm glad there is hope for a new game. Just don't forget that bringing togheter fans who know the editor would mean more games with the SSG brand making money for you and them. It's what John Tiller has been doing for years and just licensed it to a company consisting of guys who had been doing games for him before. If just John Tiller had been doing everything with a very small team there would hardly have been many HPS/John Tiller Games games. Guys like JSS, Brubaker and so on could create marvelous scenarios that could be sold as add-ons. Win-win, surely?

Anyway, I wish you the best and I will be waiting patiently.

I would like to start scenario making myself and was wondering if anyone know anything about creating maps. Please write here or PM me.

Cheers
Dan
U2-fan
Private
Private

Postby Howard7x » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:46 am

Howdy folks,

Just checking in to see whos still around.
Would love to see something new from SSG.
I have many fond memories of my 20's playing BiN and BII with you guys.

Be good to hear from you all!

Cheers

Howard
Never, ever.... ever again!

Image ImageImageImageImage
Howard7x
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby YappyRaccoon » Thu May 25, 2017 6:26 am

I wonder if Roger and the sadly departed Ian were the people who made the beloved Warlords series?
Those were some of the best games ever made like Warlords II deluxe and Dark Lords Rising and Reign of Heroes.
YappyRaccoon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Roger Keating » Thu May 25, 2017 7:27 am

Warlords was really a Steve Fawkner creation and Ian, Gregor and I were privileged to be able to get these games to market. I think Warlords III was the best game I worked on but that has to do with the team and the atmosphere at the time. "Those were the days".
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby YappyRaccoon » Thu May 25, 2017 5:40 pm

You must have had a good atmosphere to make such good games. I wish you would make a more modern version of Warlords III so it can run smoothly on modern computers like a re-release. I would buy it for sure. Even the same game but compatible with new windows would be delightful like Reign of Heroes and Dark Lords Rising. The heros are really cool like the different types and many choices for skills and magic when leveling up, and the AI is brutally strong and takes over castles with big attacks.
YappyRaccoon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Roger Keating » Fri May 26, 2017 10:12 am

To say that this is not a thought that often goes through my mind would be a lie. There are problems however. In the 90's Broderbund would generally fund us substantially to allow us to get the game to market. It took a great deal of money in those days and although the cost is now much less it is still significant.

Also, Steve Fawkner, the creator of Warlords would have to be involved and he is currently engaged in the free to play game 'Gems of War' which is doing very well and as a player, since the beginning, I can say that its success is well deserved.

The main problem really resolves down to having the capital to generate the game's creation. Kickstarter is an option but that takes a committed effort and everyone involved would have to be ready if success was assured. At the moment, being normal individuals, we are doing our own work and trying to get to a point where such choices can be made.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby YappyRaccoon » Fri May 26, 2017 11:35 am

Roger thanks for replying and keep in tough with the forum. I hope you have the opportunity to market games again cause both your Warlords and the WW2 games were very fun and creative designs.

If I win the lottery or somehow get rich I will help you produce a new game or re-release the classic Warlords games for Windows.

I will check out that game Gens of War. It must be good if the legendary creator of Warlords made it. Thank you for letting us know.
YappyRaccoon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Roger Keating » Sat May 27, 2017 10:08 am

And just to be clear, Steve Fawkner was the actual creator of Warlords and is still very much into the fantasy/strategy genre at the moment. I am the 'mechanics' man who just applied tank attributes to the dragons and allowed a fantasy game to be developed with a very military set of mechanics. I am very proud of what was achieved by the two programmers, up until Warlords III, but also remember the others, producers, distributor, and artists, who allowed this to happen.

Once rts came along the team had to be expanded and I was taken out of the role and concentrated on wargames. Steve was the man who headed up every project.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby YappyRaccoon » Sun May 28, 2017 11:10 am

Steve is definitely a creative genius.

I managed to get Warlords III Darklords Rising working on modern windows (I have #7).
For anyone who wants to get it going, go to this link and download the compatibility patch for Warlords and make shortcut run on 256 colors, admin, and add /WINCURSOR to the end of the target.
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=29475

The game works perfectly except no music and don't use alt-tab because windows background can't handle the 256 color palette and will change back to normal so you have to exit & reload game to get 256 colors back again in game.
YappyRaccoon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Announcements/News