MacArthur - Master of Battle Tournament

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Battles in Normandy?

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby sorcerer » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:40 pm

Yes I agree, playing with a FOW does make things more interesting. Mainly I was looking for reassurance from JSS that the scenario had been balanced.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
sorcerer
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:42 pm

Scenario designers do the best they possibly can to balance a scenario prior to release - sometimes its not perfect - but then again the balance of a scenario will vary depending upon who is playing it I guess.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby CESteman » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:21 pm

I guess JSS didn't read your post Rob ;) Anyways, I was wondering who did the testing for this scenario? I noticed that a few big hitters are not playing i.e. Twinkle etc. Are you keeping them a secret? Later!
Christian
Image ImageImageImage
CESteman
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:46 pm

Oh oh! I have a bad sign.. when Windows just rebooted it said something about having to restore my registry.. :shock: I hope my next turn loads ok..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Papa Smurf » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:02 am

Oh oh! I have a bad sign.. when Windows just rebooted it said something about having to restore my registry.. I hope my next turn loads ok..

<Papa Smurf adds a new entry to his list of excuses for losing a game> :D

Seriously though, if BiN stores it's secure game encryption keys (or whatever it uses) in the registry then I think your game is toast unless your last system restore point was taken really recently. :(

Current games:

Papa Smurf
Captain
Captain

Postby sorcerer » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:20 am

Actually the reason this first came to my attention was because it appears each objective has relatively few VP's available. When there is a projected 3000VPs I expected that even maybe the ''crucial''airfield would be a high VP target. As this is not so I was a little surprised.

Im going to stick my neck out and say that round 1 results will favour the Axis. But I may be proved wrong and to some extent I hope so as I am playing as the Allies!
Image Image Image Image Image Image
sorcerer
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Singing the Allied Blues

Postby StormCrow » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:01 am

OUCH!!! Lost 15 steps coming ashore/dropping on turn 2, including 2 full units (airborne mortar and the 2 step airborne infantry). To only one Japanese casualty.

But I have decided the Americans must take great risks. And I believe this one has paid off, although I won't know until next turn.

Baseline VPs for the Japanese are 111 per turn. Only 16 of those are in the West, 48 between the two mountains and 47 in the East. I have drawn conclusions from this but will leave you to make your own!
StormCrow
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Bertram » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:29 pm

My (allied) forces landed on the north -east beaches in turn 1, one division taking Beach5, the other Beach4. To my surprise Fisherman Village was not defended.

Turn 2 saw troops landing at Beach3 (the Cav regiment and half the infantry regiment) and on Beach2 (the other half of the infantry regiment). The air drop went in just west of Mt. Suro Ridge. Unfortunatly the 3 infantry battalions landed west of the dropzone, with the artillery, engineers and AA landing east, between the dropzone and the Japanese. The engineers and the AA took a step loss (and the last was destroyed), the arty will have to defend the dropping zone.

The idea was to get a head start on the advance on Mt. Suro ridge, but being close enough to the beaches to get supply. Next turns will see a linking up of the beachheads, and (hopefuly) a slow advance of the para's up Mt. Suro ridge.
Last edited by Bertram on Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bertram

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bertram
Captain
Captain

Postby Brubaker » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:52 pm

Bertram wrote:
The idea was to get a head start on the advance on Mt. Suro ridge, but being close enough to the beaches to get supply. Next turns will see a linking up of the beachheads, and (hopefuly) a slow advance of the para's up Mt. Suro ridge.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry:

私達の神の島を攻撃しているアメリカの司令官へ。

あなたの努力が無駄にあることを確かにあなたは実現す るなる。
日本の誇り高い息子は今日あなたの骨のブタそして饗宴 のようなあなたの死体を出血させる。
決して再度Suro を苦しむ外国の侵略者の軽蔑を取付け ない。
死へ! 充満!

To the American Commander attacking our divine island.

Surely you must realise your efforts are in vain.
The proud sons of Japan will today bleed your carcasses like pigs and feast on your bones. Never again will Mount Suro suffer the indignity of foreign invaders.
To the death! Banzai!
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Bertram » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:18 pm

Fortunatly I can't understand Brubakers comments :).

The glider units landed near the airport, west of the airport in the clear terrain. The landing itself went of perfect, with no casualties at all. A Japanese supply truck was waiting as welcoming commite, and was made short work of. It has to be seen how long these troops will last with their own supply.

Beaches 3 and 4 are linked, as are beaches 2 and 3. Sunset Village is liberated, and a Japanese artillery unit that ran out of supply was captured.

The linkup between beaches 3 and 4 will take a bit longer, as will getting supply to the para's. Japanese troops are suspected in the southwest, near the swamp, and east of Beach5, across the river.
Bertram

Bertram
Captain
Captain

Postby Twinkle » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:56 pm

It becomes the る where certainly you actualize the fact that it is
your effort wastefully.
The Japanese pride high son like the cover and banquet of the present
your bone bleeds the corpse of the hatchet.
Scorn of the aggressor of the foreign country which Suro suffers never
for the second time is not installed.
To death! Fullness!

after running it through not so good translator software... :)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Bertram » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:08 pm

:)

I think the translation must be better then the original. This is how the Japanese speak in those dubious war comics I used to read :).

Meanwhile turn 4 has come and gone. As I got Marines, I used as they should be used, and send them to a heavy fortified beach (Beach6). They will be on their own, but I understood they love that. They landed without losses, even though they al had a one die attrition. (By the way, some beaches here are a bit unclear. The hexes in front of the westmost bunker looks like it is a landing spot, has the grey outlines around it as if you can enter it, but is "illegal" to enter as if it is water. There are in total 3 hexes here like that. It matters, because now you can not reach the fortifications the first turn you land).

Advancement along the coast goes slow, more due to mines and fortifications then to Japanese troops. The para's cleared one step of a fortification, but it will be repaired faster then they can attack it...
(an other comment: I can not see my supply points, not on the beach, and also not at the drop zone. Is there a hotkey to see them, or is this as intended?)

3 Japanese regiments are spotted in the southwest corner. Intention is to cut them of and surround them.
Last edited by Bertram on Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bertram

Bertram
Captain
Captain

Postby JSS » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:27 pm

Bertram wrote::)

...an other comment: I can not see my supply points, not on the beach, and also not at the drop zone. Is there a hotkey to see them, or is this as intended?

No, this is a display problem that's been sent to SSG.
JSS
Site Admin

Postby Brubaker » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:40 pm

Bertram could you post here a turn in advamce to make it a bit easier to counter ;)

This is a great scenario. I have resisted the urge to check out the enemy OOB and am (horribly) surprised each turn. Bertram's assault has been textbook so far - he is using his allied troops very well. I am slowly formulating a defense but hope I will live long enough to carry it out.

Twinkle I wondered how long before you commented on that translation. It was from Google's language tools which (the Japoanese anyway) are notoriously innaccurate.
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Bertram » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:05 pm

Turn 5. The scenario is certainly interesting...

The second marine regiment also landed on Beach6. Fortifications on the beach are destoyed, as is the first Tokio batallion. They had "no retreat" orders it seems, and were overcome with a series of overrun attacks. Apart from good odds and (almost) no losses these attacks also use no supply.... This is a point as the beachhead will only get supply at turn 7. An attack against the second Tokio battalion had to be done at "normal" odds. It took a 2 stepp loss, but cost my units a (supply)bullet.

Clearing the west part of the island progesses slowly. Fortifications and mines pop up everywhere. My troops need to clear the jungle, clear the roads, and destroy the fortifications and the enemy troops encountered. Trouble is that the fortifications take 2 turns each, unless I mass enough troops to get an overrun. But when I concetrate my troops like that, I can attack only a few spots, and have trouble securing the supply lines. The situation will get a bit better after next turn, as I should have cleared the last fortifications on Beach1 by then.

The gliders at the airfield meanwhile have dug in, and are waiting for the marines to battle towards them. The para's on Mt. Suro ridge are stalled, as their best attack simply isn't good enough to hurt the enemy. Reinforcements are slow in coming, as the jungle on the mountain makes moving anything a slow progress.
Bertram

Bertram
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Normandy Play By Email (PBEM)