MacArthur - Master of Battle Tournament

Looking for an opponent for a PBEM game of Battles in Normandy?

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Bertram » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:43 pm

Turn 6 sees my glider regiment still fighting at the airfield. One step was lost, but will be reorganized next turn.

The marines expanded their beachhead, taking the bridge to the Northern Village, and destroying the 2nd battalion of the Tokio regiment. The 3th battalion took a beating (it lost 3 steps). The bridge to the west of the beachhead is defended by an AA unit. It managed to resist a hasty attack by a marine battalion. The goal next turn will be the northern village, but I am afraid that the Japanedse have enough time to dig in. A light mobile force will be despatched to the west to link up to the beaches there.

In the west the troops are still slugging through the jungle. Japanese troops are occasionally spotted, but can not (yet) be engaged. The clearing of the fortifications on Beach1 is going slower as expected, there is still one left. Ater destroying it next turn the troops there will turn inland, advancing towards the Village Between the Swamps, and hopfully cutting off sxsome Japanese troops.

The para's on Mt. Suro Ridge as waiting for reinforcements before attacking.
Bertram

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bertram
Captain
Captain

Postby Manny » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:33 am

Hold on hold on, what gives here : I'm the very first player to ask to join and I've not even been included in the tourney ?!

I've been patiently waiting for my email and decided to come back here to see what the delay was and am quite shocked to find out you lot have started and I've been dumped.

What's the score Rob ?

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Of course, the _real_ tragedy is that I don't get to display the medal !! :shock:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

My BiN Profile
"Modesty is not a virtue; it is useful only as a curb for youthful indescretion" - The Ethics of Aristotle

Games in progress

Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pterrok » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:08 am

Robjess wrote:Manny - I have just noticed that via this thread you were the first person to register - yet I didnt/cant find an email in my inbox with your registration details. I dont have the time to go through the forums double checking that people have sent me an email or not. So sorry you didnt get a spot. If you did send me an email and I misplaced it then let me know and you can have my spot if its really a big deal :

(From back on Page 2.)
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Manny » Sun May 01, 2005 7:31 am

*censored*

*censored* *censored*

Ah well, no big deal :roll:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

My BiN Profile
"Modesty is not a virtue; it is useful only as a curb for youthful indescretion" - The Ethics of Aristotle

Games in progress

Manny
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Bertram » Mon May 02, 2005 8:01 pm

Turn 15.

The turns before this saw bad weather, so not much was done. In the east the Beaches3 and Beaches4 are close to linking up. Between them is a complete regiment of the enemy (the 7th). As the Para's seal of their way into the mountains they are to be destroyed...

The small road to the south from beach3 is the site for an other fight. One battalion of the enemey (1st of the 127) was destroyed here after it got out of supply. An other battalion of the 127 is holding out, but suffering losses.

The marines have reached the Glider regiment at the airfield. Heavy fighting is taking place. As the road to the airfield is still not taken supply is being dropped by planes.

Th road along the north coast is open, an AA unit and a supply unit were destoyed there.

Still no start was made at taking the ridges, and my point total is lagging more then 1000 behind.
Last edited by Bertram on Tue May 03, 2005 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bertram

Bertram
Captain
Captain

Postby Brubaker » Mon May 02, 2005 9:41 pm

Bertram is certainly attacking hard. It is true that most parts of the island have been penetrated now and my supply sources are scarce. It has caused me to concentrate my defences into 'pockets' centred around supplied areas (or many forts). Those troops in jungle terrain have now dug in and will try and ride out the last 15 odd turns. It is a game of inches.

Around the airfield though things are much different. Many many Allied troops have virtually encircled this aerodrome - it has become my Alamo. Because it is on clear terrain I have a far greater degree of movement and though not the concentrated strength to attack, enough to adequately defend. Bertram is gaing about 3 hexes a turn in this area and I tend to pinch back 1 or so. Again a game of (several) inches.

Onward!
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Mon May 02, 2005 9:50 pm

Interesting.. I would be keen to hear how other Allied players have landed their units.. have you opted for critical mass or have you droped and invaded in several places.

In my game against SteveL (yeah I know Im never going to win) - I pretty much landed all of my units to the North and East of the airfield. And I dropped all of my para's on the airfield. I dont really have any units elsewhere except for a small number on the far west of the island.

My men are finding it really hard supply wise and I feel I am bogged down. The only area I am having any luck is attacking into the clear terrain to the east of the airfield. I now have pushed some units around down the south and I am hoping to come in from the back.

Both of the hills are not on my list of to be taken. And I fear this has been a poor decision on my part and I will not secure the VPs to win.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Unactuality » Tue May 03, 2005 12:10 am

In my game against Joe (I'm the Axis, turn 9 currently), he first landed northeast of Fisherman's Village and north of the airfield. When my regiment from Fisherman's moved to block the first landing, he moved some marines ashore west of the Village while hitting the poor regiment hard. They're retreating south toward friendly territory, where another regiment is in a standoff against paratroopers who landed west of the hill.

North of the airfield, my defenders took casualties and were slowly driven back to the edge of the jungle near the river. It appears this is his main effort. The Rakkasans took the village north of the airstrip after they landed, which gave him a decent VP boost. They also caught my artillery and one flak unit unprotected - ouch.

I wasted a good number of fortifications expecting him to attack in directions he chose not to, but a line of defense is starting to cohere around the airstrip. My forces have taken moderate casualties, but he's only captured two VP locations thus far. Whether the brave soldiers of the Emperor can hold out for twenty more turns remains to be seen, of course.
Unactuality
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby pete AU » Tue May 03, 2005 12:29 am

I've just done turn 5

Initially I landed troops north of the airfield and south of the airfield (the two turn boat ride) and reinforded both beaches with the second wave of troops.

I landed all the airborne on the airfield.

The last airfield hex fell this turn and I was pleased to see my alert divisions arrive - they will solidify my gains and move up from east of the island to meet the other troops at the airfield.

I landed the third and 4th wave marines on a nice clear beach on the east of the island. This spot is a good site to attack multiple areas from - but importantly not near the costal vp villages that bog you down.

? Since I have the axis reinforcement hex at the airfield is there an alternate entry site for axis reinforcements?
History is an argument without end
Projects - Iskra (available to download), Stalingrad Pocket (ver101 finished and available to download), Guadalcanal (map done), Guadalajara (playtesting - volounteers?), Napoleonic Borodino (volounteers?)
ImageImageImageImage Image Image
pete AU
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Tue May 03, 2005 12:33 am

pete AU wrote:
? Since I have the axis reinforcement hex at the airfield is there an alternate entry site for axis reinforcements?

Yes, there are other places on the Eastern half of the island. The Japanese reinforcements can arrive by air or by sea.
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Robjess » Tue May 03, 2005 4:20 pm

Wow you have capturted the airfield!
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Bertram » Tue May 03, 2005 5:04 pm

Nice to see some other stategies. I'll try to make some sceenshots next turn.

In the east the 127 regiment is still being compressed and destroyed. The inland dirt road south from Beach3 is free till the second bridge, the village "Between-the-Swamps" is in reach 9but defended).

The airfield is half encircled, the "Northern-Village" mostly so. One hex of the airfield is free of fortifications (though not of enemy troops... yet). If I could do this again I would take the beach to the south of the airfield... no village to hold you up, easier to reach the airfield. On dropping the para's in the jungle in the west, I am still not sure. I am bagging a nice number of troops there, but on the other hand they are kind of stuck.

To correct the landing I sealifted a number of troops to the south beach. I misjudged the distance though, so only 2 units made it ashore, kind of (they are still in their boat, but think they are not or something). I have to wait and see if this works.
Bertram

Bertram
Captain
Captain

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Wed May 04, 2005 4:14 am

My game is going very slow (doing my Allied turn 2 now) but I am really confused by this discussion. How in the world are you guys all landing around the airfield and going anywhere without supplies? Don't they turn up on turn 6? What do you before then just sit tight and hope the Japs don't come for ya?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby stevel40831 » Wed May 04, 2005 4:30 am

Cpt. Feathersword wrote:My game is going very slow (doing my Allied turn 2 now) but I am really confused by this discussion. How in the world are you guys all landing around the airfield and going anywhere without supplies? Don't they turn up on turn 6? What do you before then just sit tight and hope the Japs don't come for ya?

Shhhhh.... don't anyone say anything! He needs to bumble around like the rest of us! :twisted:

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out."

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
stevel40831
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby pterrok » Wed May 04, 2005 4:41 am

Supplies? SUPPLIES??? We don't need no stinkin' supplies!

We're the Airborne! We're the Marines! We've had survival training and there are plenty of bugs to eat in the jungle...

And we don't need bullets as long as we have our trusty Bayonets!
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Normandy Play By Email (PBEM)