Normandy Revisited (AAR #2)

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby chris miller » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:08 pm

There is a mention of the supply dump rebuilding. Is this something the player is actively involved in, or does it rebuild automatically? And back to the topic about the minor town indicators. What kind of implications does this have as far as gameplay?
chris miller
Major
Major

Postby Robjess » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:14 pm

The Rebuilding of Supply Sources happens automatically as far as I know. What happens is you capture the supply source but it doesnt not become automatically active until after x turns - whilst the rebuilding takes place.

You didnt think as the Germans I would surrender a vital port like Cherboug without torching it first now did you? :)

The town indicators dont effect game play at all. As Roger mentioned you are now able to toggle town names on and off the map as either, no names shown, all names shown or only important names shown.

Minor town indicators indicate the towns which are considered, well, Minor. They are not major objectives like Caen, St Lo and Carentan would be. But they are still objectives. This approach makes it easier for you to examine the map and from the type of indicator you can see what the major and secondary objective are straight up.

If you look at the images in this AAR you will see that the major objectives have a different indicator on them.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:26 pm

Rob is correct about the supply source rebuilding itself. It resembles the damage that Axis and Allied fighting has done around the harbor area. Also, if a storm hits the game during rebuilding then the prosess is postponed a turn. Otherwise, it acts as a normal supply source.

The West has quietened down a little as some Allied men are ordered to rest while others conduct probing attacks, forcing the German line back in a few places. The German line is hard to break and I will need units with full reserves to be able to exploit any breakthrough and at the moment there are very few of them

In the East the situation is tense. While Monty has cancelled the soccer games not a lot more has happened. A bit more Artillery has arrived and that will help but intelligence has the 1SS arriving in 2 turns, 2SS in 4 turns, 10SS in 7 turns and 9 SS in 8 turns. Any adventurous activity at the moment could turn into a real disaster and the thought of US units coming to help is never going to happen.

As you can see, the Battleships and Cruisers have arrived from the West and are putting down some serious interdiction. This may not stop the attacks but it will be difficult for Rob to get out there, attack, and then sneak off back to the city. Envoys are currently in England to convince Harris to release the Bombers and level Caen. I just hope that I can convince Rob that the Armored reinforcements are needed in the West.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Robjess » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:51 pm

Roger's line at Caen does look thin.. its only one unit deep.. so if I can manage some successful attacks here it really will put alot of pressure on his forces elsewhere as he then really needs to deal with the threat of me capturing the beach hexes behind him and cutting off supplies!

These are some of the decisions you will need to make in this game.. dont be fooled into thinking you can play this one on auto pilot simply by just advancing attacking, advancing attacking. You really do need to properly manage your resources, assets and combat units well.

The new refit rule mean that if you are able to have a reserve of units which are fully supplied and fitted up they can be very handing to exploit weaknesses.. I just hope that my 1SS due shortly is able to punch into the Brits!

I guess we will see shortly as I am about to head out for the evening.. but I know what I will be thinking of.. how I can manage to cut those pommies in two! I dont like all of that Naval interdiction though.. the last thing I want to do is leave the safe zone of Caen attack and then be stranged in the clear myself..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby chris miller » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:01 am

One more question. In BiN I noticed that some units are hidden from view, which is a nice feature. But how does this pan out? What I mean is if you send a unit to a hex where there is an unseen unit, is your own advancing unit surprised or does it just stop once the hidden unit is spotted?
chris miller
Major
Major

Postby Twinkle » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:24 am

Your unit advance as far as it get to move in a similar way as it is in KP (please correct me if wrong). So it is essential to scout unknown terrain by short movements as you otherwise might end up in a nasty position close to enemy forces... 8)

regards
/twinkle :wink:
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby chris miller » Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:33 am

To clarify my question. What happens when you click your unit to move onto a occupied hex, in which you previously did not spot a hidden unit?
chris miller
Major
Major

Postby Roger Keating » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:40 am

The system shows you all possible 'legal' hexes you can move to. You are not advised why you can't move to a particular hex. This means that you can discern some information by looking at the movement area.

In my playing of the game this gives you a small amount of information but is far from adequate, and you must scout ahead. Placing your units as the defensive player is important so as to deny your opponent any real idea of your setup.

Units placed in clear hexes will be seen from a distance but those in obscuring terrain are very difficult to deal with.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby chris miller » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:29 am

Thanks that clears it up.
chris miller
Major
Major

Postby Robjess » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:22 pm

Turn 14 - almost the half way mark..

No attacks from me out of Caen this turn. Roger has moved his Brits back one hex (about 3 or 4 km's) and thrown down quite a bit of interdiction on the city and just outside of it. So my orders to my men were just to sit tight, take in some supplies and wait. For the time being. Next turn the 1SS (although slightly battle weary) arrives, to add some extra fire power.

Roger has an equaliser though. Whilst he says that he isnt going to send the 2nd ARM into the area, my recon tells me that they were spotted leaving Cherbourg at full speed.. I wonder how many turns it will take for them to get there? I predict 2 turns. So I have turn turns to play before things get nasty.

What I did do this turn though was attack Roger's units that were in the rugged hills around Villers Bocage.

I managed to force one of his Brit recon units back - again he was lucky I didnt get a 2d result which would have seen its destruction. I then also caused another of his units to retreat in the same area.. which enabled me to advance a little.

Overall, the front line looks like this:

Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Joe » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:09 am

The overall map is interesting.

Looking at the value of the objectives, which ones do feel he will try for in the next 3 or 4 turns?

Do you have enough defensive artillery to cover the whole front?

Have you checked whether you have "too many" steps in some hexes - giving him the opportunity to bowl 2 dice.

Is an AT step considered a combat step for the purpose of Overrun?
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Roger Keating » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:58 am

A bit quiet on the Western, and Eastern, front this turn. A couple of D2's means that Rob will have to rearrange the line a bit but otherwise the men are resting, getting ready for the next push.

In 6 turns another 3 of those 2 shift artillery units arrive. They have a 2 in 6 chance (they need at least a 5 on the die) of taking out a strong point step and are just lethal in the US arsenal. And, of course, there is the 3rd Amrored Division to supplement the 2nd.

The score is showing 400 points to the Allies and only on turn 12 did Rob manage to claw that back a bit.

Turn 13 was good for me as I cleaned up the pocket and took out 9 Axis units, generating the +226 point gap.

1SS arrives this turn so Rob has to decide whether to direct them to the British or take the long trek West.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Robjess » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:40 pm

Im a man of my word. The 1ss goes into Caen - on a defensive role holding the city whilst I advance with my other ARM to assault the Brits out in the fields.

Two attacks - both went in quite successfully..

My ARM didnt not have the ability to scoot back into the city like they did on previous turns. Thanks to Roger's Naval and air interdiction - he knew the attack was coming. So my attacking forces have been ordered to defend north of the city.. trying to take advantage of some defensive terrain by way of villages.. apart from that they are vulnerable to counter attack in the open.

Roger's choices are going to be to pull his units further back - but to where? If he does this I then need to decide if I should chase him.. if I do then I dont know if I will have enough units extend much further without making my flank open to attack from his units around Villers Bocage.

Or he can go on the attack and attack my units there.. which means that he is then open to another attack sitting in the clear too.. but then again he has more units then I do.. but he will need to pull them from elsewhere..

Now where is the 2nd ARM?
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:35 pm

As to where the 2 armored is, I have forgotten, but here is a shot of one of them.

As you can see they will be refueled next turn and back into the action. The marker on the fuel guage indicates where the reserve will be next turn and the gold indicator means that it is being fueled at an accelerated rate.

The action this turn is around Caen where all hell has broken loose. The situation at the end of turn is

Or without the units in the way ...

There is a mix of partisans, air interdiction and a bundle of ship artillery all to make any Axis movement a bit of a problem. It has meant that the soccer pitch is a bit of a mess at the moment and the game has been postponed due to enemy action anyway. The Axis forces have a couple of one step units in there and Rob will have to decide whether to stay and fight or run for the hills (city).

The West this turn was relatively quiet and a couple of retreats took place but little else changed.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Robjess » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:41 pm

What Roger didnt mention is that his counter attack was quite lethal.. 2 x 2D losses to me in one attack. He has also moved alot of units from the Villers Bocage area towards Caen.. I think I will be having one last attack and then retreating.. which is a shame because 2SS arrives next turn too.. maybe I should have held my assault off until next turn when I had more units.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion