Normandy Revisited (AAR #2)

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby chris miller » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:44 pm

Someone may have already asked this, but what was the final score. I know the VP's may have been changed, but what was the final score anyways.l
chris miller
Major
Major

Postby Roger Keating » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:29 pm

The Allies had a lead on points but it was not really a game about winning but rather showing the system off.

In our test games we feel that both sides have opportunities to achieve major damage to the other player but in very different ways. The Allies have total control of the air but the German army has a lot of punch.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby chris miller » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:38 pm

This certainly was a great AAR, and demonstrated the game and its features quite well. Thanks!
chris miller
Major
Major

Postby chris miller » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:38 pm

I've looked over the AAR again to rekindle my interest seeing as how BiN will be available for purchase anyday now, and I have to say that I am enthused more than ever now. I will be checking the Matrixgames site now, about every 30 seconds to see if BiN is available. :lol:
chris miller
Major
Major

Postby panzmatt » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:32 am

anyone know how many timed replacements the us 101 and 82 get, and do they still ONLY get timed reps?
panzmatt
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Roger Keating » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:51 pm

The airborne troops each have two timed replacements and can't take any other replacements.

When they land they also take attrition which can make life very difficult for them. A good Axis player will always try to get their strength down as you know it's not going back up.

Also note that the Utah beachhead is not a replacement source so that one of the early US objectives is to link the two beachheads so that replacements can be drawn by all units. One of the Axis tasks is to prevent this happening...
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby panzmatt » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:01 pm

Thanks Roger,
Does the no replacments rule also affect timed replacments? I am unclear
panzmatt
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Roger Keating » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:19 pm

The US airborne units have two timed replacements that take 1 turn to repair. This means that for the first two losses they can expect them back, unless killed in the meantime, in one turn.

They often take losses on landing, and with very bad dice rolls could actually be killed, and have to recover from this. The one element of the 101 that arrives at Utah by sea has a much better introduction to the battle.

Replacements can be given at any time with the following restrictions..

1) the unit is eligible to take replacements (the airborne are not) and.

2) the unit has been in a hex that has replacement supply.

In BIN there are two types of supply, combat and replacement. The hexes are colored green and yellow to reflect the difference. Replacement supply comes in through Omaha and Cherbourg for the US forces so a supply trace to one of these areas is required for replacements to be handed out at Utah. Thus, Carentan becomes a focus point for the US and German forces. It controls the road that connects the two beaches.

As the German, do you commit an armor division to the area to boost the forces there. As the Allies do you fight to get through to Omaha or have a go at Cherbourg. The harbor will fall fairly easily as the supply source there cuts off when US forces get close. It is a long way from Utah and Allied supply is very poor at the start and the reserves of the initial units is poor. A poor plan could see your forces chopped to pieces by the rag tag army the German put in front of you. There is a lot of marsh area as well that is unfriendly to armor.

I have played a good number of games and they never seem to come out the same. Of all the scenarios in BIN Overlord is my favorite as it allows the players the greatest scope of action. I am looking forward to playing an Allied player who thinks that Caen should have been taken on day 1. Allied air power is good, but not that good.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby panzmatt » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:12 am

thanks again,
Seems like you are say that those timed replacement do not come to the airborne, or any other units out of replacemnt supply..
Give monty or patton the Third army on day one, and all the airborn troops and maybe caan on day three is viable?

FYI...
I noticed on Matrix sight a Rommel scenario.. care to add some insight here?
panzmatt
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:50 am

panzmatt wrote:Seems like you are say that those timed replacement do not come to the airborne, or any other units out of replacemnt supply..

No, I think he says that timed replacements will work as normal even if in a non-replacement supply hex (i.e., a yellow hex). He also says that replacements can't be handed out to troops in those yellow supply hexes. So after landing it will take the US airborne, who takes a lot of casualties just jumping over Normandy, one turn to recover from the worst of that crash to the ground. The airborne does also scatter, so they will be located in different hexes as you replay this scenario, which will prove for quite different start turn around Utah beach each time. (And I loaded up a couple of scenarios just to make sure it is as described above.)

Regards
/twinkle
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby panzmatt » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:05 am

thanks, I am thinking, always a scary thught..lol, about how to best counter the allies.. and as the German palyer it would be really nice to eliminate some airborne troops early on.
panzmatt
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:51 am

panzmatt wrote:
I noticed on Matrix sight a Rommel scenario.. care to add some insight here?

I think this was a reference to the scenario; "Rommel Master of Battle"
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby panzmatt » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:59 am

dont think so as it refered to a scenario SHIPED with normandy...
anyone know whats what on that..
it was a post by MArc S of MAtrix staff.. and he had no real idea as he said he was reading a list when I queried him..

hello?
panzmatt
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:07 am

It's one of those scenarios with alternative non-historical start locations for troops on the map and I guess changes in the early reinforcements. I don't know anything about it as I never play-tested it. Hope this helped.

Regards
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby panzmatt » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:37 am

exactly helped.. thanks
panzmatt
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion