Normandy Revisited (AAR #2)

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Joe » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:06 pm

For the German payer, it might be worthwhile checking the value of Caen, in relation to the current score.

If it is favourable, perhaps now is the time to withdraw behind the river, and extend the defensive line to the left.
-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Scona » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:35 pm

The Allied tactical moves around Caen sure resemble those used by Monty during his "Epsom" operation. Watching this game play itself out is educational as some of the real life problems for capturing this piece of real estate are again being imposed on the players.
"Soldiers should remember their weapon is usually provided by the lowest bidder." Murphy's Law of military history.
Scona
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Robjess » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:45 pm

We are playing this AAR on an earlier build of the game, so some of the VPs may have changed.. but yes I will check the value of Caen.. but I would guess that given its a major objective, if anything as the German player I will get more points the longer I hold it.. and I expect is active right until the end for me.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Clear Terrain

Postby Kingpin » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:00 am

This may have been covered before but I noticed there is a A1-D3 result for a 10-1 attack in open terrain.

Has there been many changes to the attack charts for each terrain type?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kingpin
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Roger Keating » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:08 am

No, there are certain terrain types, such as clear or marsh, that you should stay clear of unless you really need to be there.

In marsh a 4 step unit has a 25% chance of getting a double die and there is a D2 relatively low down on the chart. I discovered this when I attacked an Allied unit and watched it die in place. I had to check that it was not a bug....
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby panzmatt » Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:24 pm

makes life as a para attacking in swamps risky
is there an attack into penelty for armor?
panzmatt
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Roger Keating » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:40 pm

From our test games I have found you want to keep armor away from Marsh. As roads do not count toward retreat legality, armor can easily get trapped in a marsh hex and quickly eliminated. I have seen the 2nd armor loose a regiment very quickly in this manner.

An easy solution is to put infantry in the marshes and keep the armor to the bocage.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby panzmatt » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:34 am

not really what I meant, if a infantry unit is in a marsh, and an armor unit next to it is in a clear hex for example, does the unit in a clear hex attacking the marsh hex suffer if it is armor? Seems that it should considering the range of attackand the type of hex
, just my .02$ worth
panzmatt
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Robjess » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:50 am

With the release of BiN any day now, and with me going overseas, this AAR has drawn to a close now I would say.

I hope those of you who have been following it got some enjoyment out of it..

Roger - once again thanks for the game.. you really have me on the ropes here.. my strength has all but gone out of the Caen area now I think, given that I have had to pull troops away to cover breaches in my line further to the west. Well done mate!
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:27 am

It was a good game but what Rob doesn't say is that a number of changes occured in the scenario since we started. The German forces now have a few enhancements and the balance seems about right.

An adventurous Allied player can quickly be bought undone as many of the German forces are very powerful. I think that most people will rather play the Allies however, as you get to use all the good units and you can make mistakes and, mostly, cover them up. But as the Allies, you have to deal with supply problems, multiple objectives and facing a German army that can, in any sector, make your life very miserable.

Anyone who thinks that I was to cautious around Caen just has to wait till the release of the game to realize why it is a necessary action.

Thanks for the game Rob and I hope that we get to meet on the battlefield again soon..
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Joe » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:48 am

Great AAR !
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chris miller » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:04 am

Yes, good show chaps! Well done, indeed. :)
chris miller
Major
Major

Great AAR

Postby critter » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:53 pm

Nice job fellas..Can't wait till release
critter
Major
Major

AAR

Postby Vampire » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:11 pm

Another fine AAR!

These kind of things really make your hands itch...

Vampire
Shiny Objects of Honour:
Image Image Image Image
Vampire
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tcanuck » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:36 am

but still would have liked to see 12th SS carpetbombed....
tcanuck
New Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion