Normandy Revisited (AAR #2)

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:48 pm

They were building them, but I did not take it as a friendly action :D
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Robjess » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:48 am

Things look very grim indeed. It is clear that I have too many of my 'good units' around Caen.. which whilst it is enabling me to still be able to conduct strong attacks on the Brits;

It also means that I am very weak in other areas. That other area is the western area of the battlefield.

Here I have no choice but to pull right back. Whilst Roger did have alot of luck last turn - and the amount of my bad luck is directly proportional to the level of his good luck :( Notwithstanding any luck - he has the numbers and the firepower here to pretty much do as he pleases. I do have some recent reinforcements on the way to the area but I think it will be the case of me putting my finger in the dam to hold back the torrent of Allied units..

Roger's control in the west really does dictate what I can and cant do elsewhere on the battlefield. There are some holes in Roger's line.. but without a strong reserve I am unable to really exploit it.

Look here, this unit and the others around them really could punch quite deep into Roger's line.. but I dont have enough units to both hold the current line and exploit into the hole with.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Joe » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:59 pm

Rob, Re the second graphic, did you have trouble blowing bridges?

Re: the first graphic. It says “final shifts +8”. But the words seem greyed out. It would be handy to see a screen shot of a combat screen with the detail af how we came up with the final shifts.

Thanks for the hex sides! :D
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JSS » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:19 pm

Joe,

Detail is there (screenshot has been made smaller than actual sized as I see it):

Attack:

+4 tactical (two green triangles)
+9 artillery
+1 leader
+1 elite unit
--------------------------------
+15 attacking shifts

Defender:

-4 tactical (default value)
-2 artillery
-1 dug in
--------------------------------
-7 defending shifts

NET: +8

JSS
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby Roger Keating » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:33 pm

Mud ... not a lot of combat opportunities. It has even been hard to keep up with the retreating German front line. The whole front is ...

I have convinced the German units to stay on their side of the river around Caen but Rob is very strong here so there is no real hope of gaining a foothold in Caen. I have strengthened my assault on Villiers Bocage and it will be hard for the units there to remain in supply. Unlike KP supply in BIN has no carry over effect. Supply is judged each turn so mud can really put a stop on any advance.

Gaps in the line are not a worry as any units that charge through can plan on staying in an Allied POW camp. The supply trucks are well guarded so that my supply is secure to deal with any incursion.

3rd Armor are now refueling in the West, waiting for a couple of turns before joining the assault. In the attacks this turn I killed a couple of units that could not keep up with the retreat but otherwise just moved up. There are no more engineer units holding the front line so I will just have to fight my through.
Last edited by Roger Keating on Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Twinkle » Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:53 pm

Nice AAR, but a small comment. It is really, really hard to read the text and so on... at least for me since I don't have 1641 pixel wide screen (plus some more pixels for my browser. Robjess, you have had a couple of polls regarding screen resolution etc., so please, follow your own guide lines as well as try to tell them to your opponent... :)

(My silly worthless little laptop has a fixed screen width of 1400 pixels but I find it harder and harder to follow this AAR).

So keep up the good work, and reduce the image size used.

Regards
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Brubaker » Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:37 pm

Heys Twinks its lucky your missus isn't as petty about small things as you are mate :? :P (jk)
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:10 pm

Hey Twinkle, leave it to the professionals mate ;) And btw use your scroll bars thats what they were designed for.. but anyway back to the game..

My original post of this turn got eaten.. so here goes again..

Over in the west, the weather has helped me out as I escape under the rain and mud, Roger has been unable to advance as quickly as me. The units that were able to keep up have been the more mobile ones - the weaker two step units.

So I took to them.. causing two of them to retreat back from my lines.. he was lucky, I only inflicted single step losses on each of them.

Although he has a flood of units reach to assault me! Remember that dam? Well its only just holding.. I have two INF divisions on the way to reinforce the line, but they are a couple of turns away still..

Looking towards the centre, around Villers Bocage.. I attacked another of Roger's 2 step units, this one was at the end of the line next to 'that' corridor I mentioned last turn..

Destroying it outright, I took minor losses, but I think it was a fair trade. I then decided to send my AT unit on a suicide run :) Roger mentioned last turn he wasnt too worried about units rushing any holes in his lines, this one could be a good opportunity though, it involves bad weather and a village where cross roads meet. Taking it may just cause Roger some supply problems. I expect him to dispense with my unit next turn.. but lets see what happens..

Over at Caen, I am still able to launch attacks out of Caen and then retreat back to the safe zone of the city limits - which of course I do.

I notice its only now that Roger has decided to take back that village (whats it called?) thats just to the north east of Caen. I think this is an important village, as it represents a safe zone for either the Allies or Germans to launch assaults out of.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:23 pm

Anyone who thinks that the Germans have no ability to strike back in this scenario are in for a very rude shock. The Allies have to commit to major objectives and the line in places is going to be weak. The German forces are numerous and very capable of launching a stinging counter offensive.

Careful advancing now has the Allied forces outside Coutances. An assault this turn caused losses but no retreats.

The British are still cautious around Caen and are pushing inland along the whole line, very slowly.

Everyone is awaiting the breakout in the West..... but the Germans keep retreating and disrupting the plans.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Scona » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:02 am

This game is giving me memories of some lessons I learned from an old SPI magazine game called "Cobra" (After the US offensive Operation Cobra). In that game if Caen was held by the Germans, then their panzer units made life miserable for the British in the same manner that has occured in this match; so having no Odon bridgehead to deal with after the landings should be a real German goal. In the US sector having important crossroads points taken will make any lateral movement by motorized units across the front impossible.
Watching the big push by the US over the last 2 turns, the problems of the Germans being able to break contact and execute a "clean retreat" to the next line have be nicely demostrated. The loss of the artillery and supply units when the withdrawl began, no doubt the effect of air interdiction, reflects what went on in these situations in real life, making this game a good simulation of its topic. :D
"Soldiers should remember their weapon is usually provided by the lowest bidder." Murphy's Law of military history.
Scona
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Prester John » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:14 pm

Twinkle wrote:Nice AAR, but a small comment. It is really, really hard to read the text and so on... at least for me since I don't have 1641 pixel wide screen (plus some more pixels for my browser. Robjess, you have had a couple of polls regarding screen resolution etc., so please, follow your own guide lines as well as try to tell them to your opponent... :)

(My silly worthless little laptop has a fixed screen width of 1400 pixels but I find it harder and harder to follow this AAR).

Regards
/twinkle ;)

Do you mean that it's hard to read the text in the graphics? Is this because you are using the IE option to zoom pictures to fit the IE window size. If that is the case and you turn it off you will find that one of those screen shots is about twice the width of a 1280x1024 screen.
Prester John
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Joel137 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:16 am

I don't think that's what he means, at least for me the text, even when my browser window is maximized, runs off to the right. necessitating use of the scroll bar, a pain in the you know where.

I have my res set at 1280X1024
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:22 am

Prester John wrote:
Twinkle wrote:Nice AAR, but a small comment. It is really, really hard to read the text and so on... at least for me since I don't have 1641 pixel wide screen (plus some more pixels for my browser. Robjess, you have had a couple of polls regarding screen resolution etc., so please, follow your own guide lines as well as try to tell them to your opponent... :)

Regards
/twinkle ;)

Do you mean that it's hard to read the text in the graphics? Is this because you are using the IE option to zoom pictures to fit the IE window size. If that is the case and you turn it off you will find that one of those screen shots is about twice the width of a 1280x1024 screen.

hehe, you seems to have taken up a dislike for IE (that's at least my impression from your postings), which is a good thing!!! But NO, NO, NO, that be the day then IE taken to change the font size as well as pictures, and don’t even think that the drones at Microsoft will managed that, and you should know that the zoom thing doesn't work with phpBB as it is a smart bunch of people who has coded he whole thing although my own forum/web-template thingy will be much nicer then phpBB which is so BB (well not the stuff on my webpage as it is a version 0.1 compared to the real stuff hiding out in the WWW). BTW if you really read my post, you will see that I mention a number... 1641 pixels, and it just happens to be the size of the largest picture that affected my original posting on this subject. And as Joel137 points out, it's a sure pain in the ** to drag the scrollbar back and forth for every row of text.

Regards
/twinkle ;)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Cpt. Feathersword » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:44 am

Oh my God, while reading this post all of a sudden my screen got 2x as wide as it usually is and I have to scroll to the right to read the posts?!? What the hell happened? Is this what you are all talking about, I was barely following your screen resolution discussion.
Cpt. Feathersword
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Joe » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:09 pm

A few days ago this issue also started for me.

It seems to be confined to this thread. None of the graphics extend waaaay to the right - only the text.
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion