Normandy Revisited (AAR #2)

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby troutie » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:28 pm

A quick note on hidden units. Your recon units are vital to scouting out enemy territory. They have a unique recon value which makes enemy units more susceptible to spotting at a greater distance.
troutie
SSG

Postby Robjess » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:50 pm

Yes.. but you are the BiN expert Troutie.. what should I be doing to win :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby TC27 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:01 am

How come the Brits are having such a hard time of it?

From what I can see its a lack of artillery and the fact they are defending the open ground. Also they are holding the front next to all the arrival point for all those nasty Panzer reserves.

Anything I am missing?
TC27
New Recruit

Postby Robjess » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:33 am

Erm.. what you are missing is the history from the first BIN AAR. Go and have a look at that and you will see what can occur if the Brits try and take Caen head on.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:04 pm

Turn 16..

There are alot of British forces around Caen now.. which has pretty much put a stop to my fun. I did launch an attack or two as I retreated back into the safe zone of the city itself.. but there wasnt much to talk about. Although I am now unsure if Roger has massed troops as a means of deterring attacks from me there, or if he is going to launch his own assault?

The 2SS that arrives next turn in the area may convince him that he doesnt want to get too bold.

The area that is providing me with the most concern though is right at the other end of the battle.. the extreme left..

A few turns ago I though I was ok here.. but that was until a heap of my units got stranded and removed from play! Roger has followed this up by conducting some fairly heavy assaults in the area too which has left some units very very weak. IF there is going to be a break through (for Roger) - its going to be here..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Joe » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:10 pm

Hey Rob!

Hit "h"

:)
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:18 pm

Hey Joe - press Start and then Shut Down :)

Roger posts his with the hexes on, I post mine without.. we seek to address both preferred styles. Thanks for your attention :)
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:38 pm

Well, this is the time when I don't think I would like to be Rob when he opens his turn. Here are the die rolls for the turn.

It should be noted that the average is only 3.50 but the sixes this time did a lot of damage.

The West is now facing the full force of the US army. it is hard to count the number of artillery units behind the lines, themselves stacked four deep with high quality troops.

There are a couple of high class German divisions dug in but they are not going to be enough to stop the weight being applied. I have pushed troops through without adequate retreat paths, but with the German problems I don't think it will be a problem.

In the East the British have attacked.

The Axis forces here are under a lot of pressure but I doubt that they will crack. The reinforcements are going to have to get into the line and that will mean that they are tied up and are not rushing West, where I expect a breakthrough to occur.

This turn I will have to admit I have been lucky. Even British moral is high.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Robjess » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:00 pm

Ouch! That hurts - the shock waves have been felt all through my line as I make a mad scramble to move units to plug holes!

The situation is the most dire in the west - where I predicted it was going to be.. I have had to conduct a massive withdrawl.. leaving valuable assets behind (3 shift assault rockets and supply trucks). The retreat means I have had to withdraw elsewhere to reduce my line.

You can see how much I have had to reduce my line.. I would have withdraw further but some units were not up to it and it would have meant leaving them even more vulnerable then they are now. I am not looking forward to Roger's next turn and I expect him to punch more holes in my line.

Interestingly, look at the combat odds I am still able to obtain in the right of that image above. Shame I can afford to place my units into a position where they can assault!

At Caen, Roger is starting his assault. I am still able to conduct some major attacks which will cause the Allies considerable losses as they attack the city from the open terrain.

It will only be a matter of time though until Caen falls.. the 2SS is now in a defensive position to the north east of Caen - but they too have their own issues to deal with.. once Roger breaches the river I will be in real strife..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Bertram » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:11 pm

Roger,

the turn average was 4.63.

I guess the average displayed is the average over the whole game (that checks, it is 3.5035)
Bertram

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bertram
Captain
Captain

Postby Roger Keating » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:02 pm

Yep, it could mean that I am only an average player :D.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Roger Keating » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:31 am

German units fell back all across the Western Front, leaving few targets except for a very good artillery unit and a supply truck that failed to keep up.

The target objectives for the Allies in this sector are Coutances and St Lo. The artillery that the US has at its disposal is awesome. I have taken to using my barraging artillery to take out stong points (failed this turn).

On the Eastern front the German forces made some attacks around Villers Bocage so the British have shifted their focus there in a counter attack. There is also mud next turn to take into account.

There are few points for the Allies in this sector but any attack on Caen should be proceeded by securing this area so that flanking maneuvers can succeed. The German forces in this sector can amount a substantial counter attack so there are no easy moves. The chaps around Caen have once again dug in, having seen a great deal of armor in front of them.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Robjess » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:14 pm

Oh no! Just watched the replay of Roger's turn - was I really trying to hold my line at Villers Bocage with one ENG unit? Doh! I deserved that!
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:21 am

It was a pontoon unit, but up against the English Soccer Squad they didn't stand a chance.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Robjess » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:59 pm

Did they try and throw bridges at you though?
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion