Normandy Revisited (AAR #2)

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby chris miller » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:18 am

Regarding the Rommel scenario, which I am aware is shipping with BiN. When this was playtested, was balance in favor of the axis? So what I'm asking is, according to the game system, was Rommel right?
chris miller
Major
Major

Postby panzmatt » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:59 am

Remember "winning" is allways balanced on the points, so Rommel could win, in theory and still lose the "game", not a tester so this is a theoretical answer...
panzmatt
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Brubaker » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:37 pm

Chris that is a really difficult question to answer. The thing is you see, that Rommel (to my knowledge) never actually comitted to paper the exact locations where he thought that particular divisions should be. On top of that, no-one knows what condition said divisions would have been in if they were to have been placed in those positions early in the campaign. Etc etc. The topic can only ever be hypothetical.

Having said that, there are several schools of thought that have 'logical' areas of deployment for some of the panzer divisions and it is along those lines that SSG have adhered to (in my opinion).

A further line of topic is that in order to make a scenario playable, there is no point having one side completely and utterly dominant, so I think the scenario has been balanced (VP wise) a little favoring the Allies (as compared to the main campaign) in order to give the scenario some interest ie. give both sides a chance to win.

All in all the result is that the Germans have a better chance of winning than in the normal campaign but cannot afford to take their time. It is an excellent scenario.

Was Rommel right? Hmm, tough question, but I think in hindsight we could say that his plan would have caused the allies siginificantly more casaulties but in the end is unlikely to have affected the eventual outcome of the war.
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chris miller » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:40 pm

Thanks, that clears it up. Kind of. :)
chris miller
Major
Major

Postby Starlyjff » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:29 pm

by RC Religion - Related articles - All 4 versions

AAR. Blood Sacrifice and the Nation: Revisiting Civil Religion*. Carolyn Marvin and David W. Ingle. /vMERICANS LIVE IN a culture that is as religious as.

observation, our claims are theoretical in nature 2 Their value lies in re-. thinking certain empirical phenomena in relation to notions of national-.

magic, which is blood Of the 1944 Normandy invasion, an American. journalist recalled, "The moment of the invasion was a great and solemn.
Starlyjff
New Recruit

Postby sunan » Thu May 27, 2010 6:31 pm

This year marks the 60th anniversary of the Normandy landings. From 16 countries, political leaders and veterans from 14 countries gathered in Normandy, France, held a grand celebration. Real-time broadcast television media, we were able to witness the unprecedented grand ceremony.

Normandy was indeed memorable. The Battle of war in the history of the world's largest amphibious landing operations, but also of strategic significance in World War II events. Its successful implementation, marking the official opening a second front in Western Europe. The opening of the second battle, is holding a large number of German fascist troops, strong support of the Soviet counter-offensive operations, but also eliminates the cross-sea attacks on German direct threat to the United Kingdom. Since then, Germany and France into something pincer attack on both sides by the enemy's dilemma, failure is a foregone conclusion. Landing for the significance of this, even Stalin did not deny that he accept the "Pravda" interview, said: "can not but admit that the action plan according to their well, scale is ambitious and clever action In the history of warfare has never had a similar precedent ... ... this will go down in history as the first-class performance. "

However, the Normandy campaign is long overdue in a war, was artificially delayed two or three years. Back in Soviet-German War broke out in July 1941, Soviet Union to reduce its pressure, presented to the American request to open a second front. At that time, 75% of the German army and its client states in the Soviet-German front the army dragged directly configured in France, Belgium, the Netherlands coast only 19 divisions of troops, which opened a second front for the creation of favorable conditions. But the Sudanese side of the suggestion was sharply criticized British Prime Minister Winston Churchill as "absurd arguments" and "stupidity." He said: "The implementation of the massive landing, and failure is bound to mean bloodshed."
sunan
New Recruit

Postby Richard III » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:09 am

Great AAR ! and happy it`s still up since 2004 since I just got BIN and playing the Allies in the Campaign. I tend to play it like those " other guys" Panzer Campaign Games and the very awake and nasty AI here is kicking my A** :lol:

I`d like to print this AAR out for reference, any hope for a printer - friendy format kicking around somewhere. ?
Richard III
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Previous

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion