Normandy AAR

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby marc420 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:49 pm

Hi,

First off, thanks for doing this AAR. Great reading. Looks like this one goes on my "can't wait to get my hands on this game list!"

Actually, I don't think the suggested replacements rules would do much to hurt playability.

In terms of what information the player gets, all he'd see is that the timed replacement number has just either failed to decrement, or has just bumped up two. Maybe it would be nice to do something symbolicallty with the number to indicate that an event happened this turn. Can't see that really overloading me as a player.

In terms of the tempo of play, I don't think it would hurt much. I think I'd like the tempo of a game that pauses and restarts. There was much talk in this AAR about the options that the DB series gives a player. Well, here's another option. How much do you push the tempo of attacks? Do you try to let a front quiet down a bit for a few turns to let the timed replacements catch up? Do you have assignable replacements available, and do you want to push these into those timed replacement slots, thus forcing the tempo of combat? You're being a bit wasteful with your resources, but maybe it gives the opportunity to wear down an opponent in a region? Or do you feel you've got a local edge and you just want to keep slugging?

One thought, I might only apply this stuff to the actual assignment of timed replacements, not the full count down. Ie, when the counter says four, there's some replacements in the pipeline 4 days back and heading for the unit. What the unit's doing on the front lines isn't going to effect these guys on their train from Germany. But when that counter goes down to 1, and the replacements are about to be assigned to the unit, then you may want to do a check based on whether the unit was involved in combat that turn. Then the player could see that this unit has replacements ready if the unit can just get out of the fight for a day or two then they can work these guys into their new units. So nows the the time to rest this division.

How about another idea based on what's above.... when units in a division take replacements, the divisional integrity number temporarily drops. It will start to reclimb automatically, but if you can keep that division out of the line for some extra days, it will be more effective. So now the player's got another choice. Do you just step the division out of the line for a day, assign the replacements to platoons quickly, then go straight back into combat with lower divisional integrity? Or do you try to keep that division out of the line for a few more days, and give the sargents some time to work these new guys into their squads, so the unit comes back a few days later, but now with restored divisional integrity?

But in general, no it wouldn't bother me if some sort of system like this slowed down the tempo of play in the games. Now if it went too far, and units were so brittle they could do one attack and then be worthless for 10 turns, yeah that would get boring. But something that basically just says you really can't just keep slugging and slugging and slugging wouldn't be a bad thing.

Since most of this would be invisible to the other player, it would add some tension in the game as to the timing of attacks.
marc420
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby marc420 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:58 pm

A couple of questions about BIN...

Is Allied aerial recon simulated in any way? One facet of the Allied control of the air is that in clear weather, they should be seeing anything that moves in daylight. Ie, if Panzer Lehr drops out of the line at Carentan and swings over to Villers Bocage, there should be at least a chance that the Allies pretty much see the whole move. Especially if Panzer Lehr is moving full speed to get there.

Maybe some day a rule where with day long turns a unit can move only a portion of its OP points in a turn to simulate moving only at night? Shade two radii of reachable hexes on the map. If you stay in the inner region, you are less likely to be spotted. If you move to the outer region, you're moving in daylight and the side with air superiority is more likely to see you.

And at the very least, shouldn't I see units in my interdictions zones?

Anyway, these are great games. THANKS both to SSG and the scenario makers. The more I play, the more hooked on the system I become. There's a lot of nice subtlety in here. And since I'm about to get my rear kicked in the Wolf tourney, I suspect I'm about to get a lesson on several more layers of subtlety that I'm not even seeing yet. :)
marc420
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby panzmatt » Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:14 pm

Historically the germans moved in overcast, rainy and night turns.. although not exclusively so.
panzmatt
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Brubaker » Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:25 pm

marc420 wrote: The more I play, the more hooked on the system I become. There's a lot of nice subtlety in here. And since I'm about to get my rear kicked in the Wolf tourney, I suspect I'm about to get a lesson on several more layers of subtlety that I'm not even seeing yet. :)

Hmm, I think I have suffered that subtlety in Wolf already :oops:

Some nice ideas Marc. I think the SSG gentlemen would probably be taking notes for future titles.

And air recon is not represented specifically at this point, something I too would like to see happen in the interdicted areas.
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion