Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby panzmatt » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:12 am

I like the idea of slowing down replacements if a unit attacks
also what if a unit does not move.. maybe it could gain replacements quicker
panzmatt
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Joel137 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:44 am

Interesting comments Pterrok. I'd caution everyone, including (especially) myself, of the law of unintended consequences. While I above mentioned a few quibbles, any changes should (and I imagine SSG will) be carefully considered and tested.

The current state of affairs isn't bad!!
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Roger Keating » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:55 am

In BIN supplies are much more of a problem than KP. This is why there is a 'refit' feature which kicks in if you leave a unit in a rest situation. After a turn they regain their supplies at an accelerated rate. It can be useful to leave an armored division in the rear to let them regain OPs before hitting the line again. A fully fueled up armor unit can penetrate a line and account for artillery and supply targets fairly easily.

If you use all your men all the time in BIN then, I believe, you will be beaten by players who manage resources more historically.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby pterrok » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:05 am

That's why I put them out in a public forum--so they can be hashed out and see if they make sense... :D

Oops! I see Roger beat me to it, so I'll say no more... :P
pterrok
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Joel137 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:16 pm

pterrok wrote:That's why I put them out in a public forum--so they can be hashed out and see if they make sense... :D

Oops! I see Roger beat me to it, so I'll say no more... :P

Oh no, keep talking, its why I make quick off the cuff remarks in public forums as well; to get discussion going and hashing things out! :)
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:29 pm

I am bored so long-wided comment disappear...
Last edited by Twinkle on Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Robjess » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:54 pm

Roger and I have decided that that will be our last turn in this AAR. The slugging match has come to a close.. Its a draw, I got Carentan and he got Caen.

But dont fear.. we felt that rather then playing this one out to the death, we would start a new one to show case one of the other scenarios. So later this week we will start a new AAR of one of the other scenarios in BIN...
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:17 pm

And it should be noted that both Rob and I felt that it was a great battle with a great deal of options for both sides. I would advise against sending Panzer Lehr across the map before they do a little damage to the Allied forces around Caen, but someone may have other advice.

Don't worry, the game will be out soon.

Thanks Rob, it was a great battle, now back to the keyboard.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Joel137 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:30 pm

Twinkle wrote:I am bored so long-wided comment disappear...

Darn, if I weren't going for a month's vacation in July, I'd try to relieve your boredom. So I tell you what, I'll spot you a few weeks practice with BIN (and that's not counting your sneaky beta testing :wink: ) , and when I get back . . . :twisted:
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Twinkle » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:41 pm

Joel137 wrote:
Twinkle wrote:I am bored so long-wided comment disappear...

Darn, if I weren't going for a month's vacation in July, I'd try to relieve your boredom. So I tell you what, I'll spot you a few weeks practice with BIN (and that's not counting your sneaky beta testing :wink: ) , and when I get back . . . :twisted:

It should of course been long-winded, wonder what long-wided might be...

Yea know, my life is pretty hectic doing just about nothing about things we discussed, so we probably are on the same "BiN long campaign" level then you are back for fighting. Anyway I have also some vacation in July, and believe it or not... I won’t even bother with hauling my gaming machine to Sweden and back again.

Regards
/twinkle 8)
Twinkle
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby carnifex » Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:23 am

can we get a screenshot of the situation at the end?
carnifex
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Robjess » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:59 am

The situation at the end if the last screen shots posted.. of do u mean an overall battlefield one? Yeah I should have done that.. but I have deleted all of the sav files now.. when I get a new build of the game I delete the old version.. sorry..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Brubaker » Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:22 pm

Twinkle I am late in othis thread but wnated to say I agree with your rant comments made about a dozen posts back. Some very good suggestions. However I also agree with Joel who then said that it is too late to implement them in DB4 and they will have to wait for the next iteration. I like you train of thought though.

Scott
Brubaker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Space§man » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:03 pm

Twinkle wrote:Anyway I have also some vacation in July, and believe it or not... I won’t even bother with hauling my gaming machine to Sweden and back again.

Well, if you're over here, you can always borrow mine ;)

alan
Space§man

Postby Squatter » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:43 am

Not got a hell of a lot to say other than I, like many other no doubt, have been following the AAR with interest and think Rob and Roger have done a damn fine job. Entertaining and informing. Good lads.

Just one thing about the timed replacements/resting attacking units discussion: while I totally know where you're coming from you have to remember that KP is essentially an abstracted simulation, and the more 'realism' you inject, the more risk you run of losing playability. The reason we're all drawn to the game in the first place is the way it presents the historical situation in a way which approaches realism but also provides, dare I say it, provides fun. And the last thing we want to see suffer is the latter. Who wants to have turn after turn where both sides are sitting and refitting prior to the next push?
Squatter
Sergeant
Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion