Normandy AAR

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Normandy AAR

Postby Robjess » Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:36 am

** Note that image quality for screen images in this AAR have been reduced to conserve bandwidth and make it friendly for our readers who are on dial up. **

In the few hours before the main assault on the beaches, British and American Para units drop from the sky. Their orders (well the ones Im giving them are simple - well maybe not simple)..

The British Capture or at least contain Caen.

For the Americans, protect the beach head at Utah, confuse the German units and put some pressure on Carentan.

Whilst the British Para dropped in close proximity to each other, the Americans are further dispersed, with the 508 para taking heavy losses.

With Naval forces having varied success at bombarding German strongpoint positions on the coast, the Allied sea invasion begins. Here we have the British 3rd INF division coming a shore at Sword.

Still in their landing craft, you can see on the unit displays that there are two 2/6 chances (the blue die on the unit displays show that a roll of either 5 or higher will result in a step loss) that they will take losses as they hit the beaches. They finally come shore with minor losses (two units take 1 step each). Heavier losses are experienced by other British units - with some of the weaker ones taking extremely high losses and having their units disbanded as a result.

All up for the British beaches - it looks like this:

With the units at Juno taking the greatest losses (including a HQ/Supply unit coming under heavy fire and having to be disbanded), and those at Gold having the easiest landing.

British planes interdict Caen (although it is expected that the Germans have a high concentration of static AA defenses there), the roads leading into Caen, and those around Gold.

On the American Beaches, units come a shore at Utah almost unopposed.. at Omaha its a different story. With several German Units in defense and some very strong Coastal Defenses that the Navy were unable to dislodge. But whilst there was stiff opposition at Omaha.. the losses which I took were quite limited given the situation.

(note, image quality reduced due to compression and resizing)
Last edited by Robjess on Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:22 pm

I haven't played this before so it is a good introduction...

In BIN you get briefings on selected turns. Here is the one for the Axis on turn 1. Basically, you screwed up, get prepared for a battle.

However, the Allies have taken some heavy losses without any German prompting at all..

The Supply unit probably should have been held back until the beach was clear. Lossing it could really affect operations later on. These are the losses on the British beaches.

If you thought the air interdiction was formidable then the DDay beaches will give you a new perspective. Luckily some objectives, such as Caen, have their own AA capability and help a bit. Here is the situation around Sword beach where, even now, panzers are rushing to the front..

Roger Keating
SSG

Allied Turn 2

Postby Robjess » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:15 pm

More troops flood onto the beaches - as I attempt to extend my beachhead and capture some vital inland objectives. Whilst the Destroyers can provide ART support in combat, all of the Naval units have been ordered to bombard stubbon German coastal defenses..

The British and Canadians are doing it tough as a result of their HQ unit getting shot up as they came off the boats.. leadership is in disarray and much needed supplies are limited to those that the units carry.

The British para units do their best to hold the eastern bridges and approaches to Caen. Several strong German divisions have been spotted in Caen and the others have gone in for some bomber support..

I am going to clench my teeth and hope that the Germans do NOT advance past Caen and try and take me head on. Rumour has it that Rommel is on holidays - and whilst it is probably his desire to try and thrash us back into the sea.. I am hoping that local commanders will not commit their forces until he returns..

Looking west to Omaha.. the Americans are still doing it tough! Most Naval power has been concentrated in this area as they try and clear forts and strong points.. US men still suffer losses as they arrive on the beaches.. and this is resulted in HQ/Supply and some of the more vulnerable units not being committed this turn. I cant afford to repeat what happened at Juno.

Over on Utah beach, the Americans again come ashore unopposed as those units on the shore consolidate and take out isolated German units. Orders have been given to extend and move to Carentan - which is where the bulk of my forces are directed.

Further to the north I have ordered my paras to extend as far north as they can.. in doing so they seek to advance around German forces and capture vital towns to cut German supply. This has opened up my line quite a bit.. but the airforce has been ordered into interdict roads and I hope the para's hold out until reinforcements arrive. It was a bold move..

All up this is what the front looks like:

For a larger version of this image click here
Last edited by Robjess on Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Joe » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:51 pm

Is the role of the HQ unit killed on the beach, different to that of the old supply trucks?
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:02 pm

No I just referred to it as a HQ unit - which is what I perceive it to be. Its a Supply truck.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:31 pm

I suppose that it should be pointed out that neither Rob or I have played much of this scenario so the tactics are a bit thin on the ground, a bit like those on the 6th of June.

However, around Caen, I notice that Rob is very vulnerable. Lots of clear land in front of good defensible positions, so I dropped my Strong Point and minefield in this area to toughen it up further. Hopefully the Strong Point will be out of range of the ships offshore.

I know that the Allies don't have replacements in the first few turns and have to put up with timed replacements only. Hitting them now sounds like a good idea and I know that beach CRT's are lethal to the defender... now, how to get to the beaches.

The first attack was a good one..

I had a chance to launch a second attack against them but that would have left me out in the clear with what looks like the whole of Southern England landing on the beaches. I repectfully retire back to Caen.

The situation map looks like ..

It is very tempting to direct some serious armor at the British beaches but I am trying to get some serious men to Omaha before the defenses there fall. I don't want the US beaches linking up and that will take some Armor forces in the area. They are just to the South of the picture, somewhere on the roads among the bocage.

Utah is a wide open space which has recently been flooded so movement is difficult for both sides. It will be a couple of turns before things stablise there.
Roger Keating
SSG

Allied Turn 3

Postby Robjess » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:51 pm

Looks like the Brits just got their 'Welcome to France' message from Hitler. Whilst they have been knocked about they have recovered slightly. And they even get a chance to conduct a bit of a counter attack against some Germans to the east of Caen sitting in the clear. But there is no time for rejoicing as the Germans in Caen are strong and it doesnt matter how much I push east. Orders are to capture the town.

Supply has improved for the Brits and Canadians as I move my HQ/Supply unit into a better position. The Brits are also orders to branch out and extend to the west to relieve some of the pressure on the Americans at Omaha.

Naval assets are again ordered to conduct bombardment on coastal defenses.

Omaha things are looking a bit better.. as the Americans conduct assaults and push the Germans back over the river. Its still not safe enough to bring my supply unit and some ART a shore.. Notice the German Supply unit spotted but out of range to the south?

Over at Utah, we see the arrival of the 2rd ARM - as they drive west and seek to split the German forces in two. The Airborne boys fall back slightly in the north when they came into contact with several German units and risked being cut off, so they come back to form a line with the other elements of their division.

Carentan is under heavy assault as I send 3 INF divisions in an attempt to secure the town. Its capture will be the first step in linking up with Omaha, and then linking up with the Brits and Canadians.

What worries me the most if that the longer I take for my forces to link up, the more German forces arrive from the East. Maybe they still think that this is a diversion for the 'real' invasion.. Normandy, Norway?
Last edited by Robjess on Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:02 pm

The German army has pretty much got the message that this is not just a diversion and are committing the men as soon as they arrive. The new briefing screen shows the expected men a bit more clearly than in KP.

On turn 5 I can expect some more armored reinforcements to help out.

My choice to keep my men out of the open and in Caen was probably the best one. The clear terrain in front of Caen is lethal and it is a pity that I have had to overrun the Airborne supply area which is out there but I have to try to keep supplies tight for the Allies. Hopes of reaching the beachhead are still not out of the question.

In the West the situation is..

A couple of forward units have been surrounded as the push on Carentan takes all the Allied effort. 2nd Armor is out there but without much support may have some problems.

Panzer Lehr is now in Carentan and has been told to hold it at all costs. The decision not to commit it to the British beaches seems to have been the correct one as the pressure here is going to become intense over the next few turns. One could almost wish for a Storm to come up and really screw up the Allied supplies. There is no prediction for a storm, they arrive without warning and can have bad affects on supplies.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Joe » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:25 pm

Every screenie starting 4 posts above is a red cross
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Robjess » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:55 pm

All posts look ok to me. The images are stored on the SSG server.. so it may have been that the SSG site was down when you were viewing them. Try refreshing your browser page..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Joel137 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:02 am

I was wondering if that armoured unit out of Utah was being a bit over-ambitious in its probing (attempt to cut off the cotentin peninsula)?

I'm sure that it will be my luck to have BIN come out while I'm on vacation, I'll come bad home to find that everyone has got 2-3 weeks experience on me. :(

(just a bit of whining)
Joel137
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Ashbery76 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:58 am

Great stuff, must be very close now. :P
Ashbery76
Corporal
Corporal

Postby warbuff » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:07 pm

Really looking forward to BIN being released! wanting to get my hands on it! :mrgreen:
warbuff
New Recruit

Allied Turn 4

Postby Robjess » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:02 pm

There are a lot of German units in Caen itself.. so a direct assault on the town at this stage is not possible. Rather I am going to try and encircle it. So the Royal Marines attack in the clear ground to the east - where the Germans are weaker (and allied intelligence advise that no reinforcements are due within at least the next 24 hours) - although I am slightly concerned that my units are advancing into clear ground.

The rest of the British and Canadians are ordered to drive south and then swing east when they hit the village of Villers Bocage - where we dont anticipate any hidden surprises :)

Omaha sees the US forces finally break out in conjunction with the arrival of some ART and their Supply HQ. They are ordered to drive to the South west to put pressure on Carentan - although Im sure they are going to have a hard time of it as more Germans arrive onto the battlefield from the south of France.

At Utah it would appear the US army were lulled into a false sense of security. The airborne drop and the arrive of of units via sea were almost unopposed and they charged ahead full of confidence. It now appears that someone opened a can of worms.. or should I say Germans. As they seem to have come out of the wood work from everywhere!

I am going to lose one of my Tank units.. and the 2nd ARM wish they were elsewhere and not stuck in the middle of the wetlands caused by the flooding the Germans conducted. I have had to resort to pulling a division out of the assault on Carentan and move it to the west to provide cover on the flank. The Airborne boys are also ordered to reduce their line and dig in. Looking for more reinforcements..
Robjess
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Postby Roger Keating » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:36 pm

It is getting tough from both points of view. Perhaps I should read Rob's posts before I have my turn.

The adventurous armor unit at Utah has surrendered and the pressure on Carentan has been reduced, perhaps by the arrival of serious German reinforcements, but the area is under tremendous pressure. I will have to work out what I can do about this in the next few turns.

In the East the British are attempting to carry out Monty's orders and secure Caen, but I am afraid that it is just not part of my plan. The city is going to be hard to take. Reinforcements this turn include ...

These boys learnt the fighting trade in Russia so this should be a breeze....

The situation around Caen is

There is a lot of clear area here and I am not in it. My hope is that any adventureous British activity will have to be paid in blood, but as I haven't played this before I am just guessing that this is what is going to happen. Rob will have to commit his forces to see which way it will go. He knows that Carentan will not be given up without a fight....
Roger Keating
SSG

Next

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion