Omaha AAR Abwehr (Axis) vs Gen Alexandra

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Omaha AAR Abwehr (Axis) vs Gen Alexandra

Postby Abwehr » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:57 am

The AAR for the mirror game, with me as the Axis.

The main thing the Axis need to keep in mind is that the eastern half of the map is more or less irrelevant. The odds that the Allies will reach, not to mention capture, Caumont in 10 turns with 2 mud turns are quite small, and the only objective that gives you points as the Axis is Isigny.

As you'll see in this AAR, my eastern(/geographically northern) flank is usually sort of hanging in the breeze. There are units there, but they're little more than a delaying force.

I prefer not to use extended movement for units that I place at the frontline, unless there's a very good reason to do so, because units will drain their OP reserve when they're unsupplied, and you don't want to get caught in an untenable defensive position without OP's.

I'll try to remember to do it correctly starting on turn 6, but for the other turns you won't see the Allied interdiction in the second screenshot (the one showing my own actions) because I took the screenshot using the replay feature on my next turn (showing the start of the Allied turn).
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:17 am

Turn 1.

The Allies suffered 6 step losses whilst landing.

Due to the Allied air interdiction, I'm not a fan of a forward defense here, so I blew the bridges and withdrew.

I want to fight on my terms, and a forward defense makes that problematic to impossible.

It can be a functional strategy as it will probably delay the arrival of support units, but I prefer to hide behind the minor river at first. I don't get any points for being close to the beach.

Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:19 am

Turn 2.

Nothing special, more blown bridges.

I placed two detachments across the river. One to make sure he doesn't get too close to my flank and the other to make it less likely the units on my side of the minor river in the clear hex will be attacked.

Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:35 am

Turn 3.

This deployment was a bit risky, especially leaving the regiment of the 352th Infantry Division unentrenched. It could've cost me 4 step losses, but it ended up causing me only 1, as the attack on the regiment of the 716th Infantry Division failed. Still, even 4 step losses in total wouldn't have been all that much of a problem at this point.

Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:36 am

Turn 4.

This is the turn where the attacks mentioned in the previous post happened.

Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:40 am

Turn 5.

The motorized Fallschirmjaeger regiment was displaced with 1 step loss, and I retreated a bit further in the east.

You may have noticed in the previous screenshot that there's a stack in the clear hex north of the regiment of the 716th Infantry Division (the only substandard regiment on the map). That was because I had moved a FlaK battalion there by accident.

I was a bit worried that losses would be bad, but the stack ended up retreating without losses as my opponent only got 1.5:1 odds.

The artillery residue in the central part of the map, around a stack with an unentrenched regiment of the 352th Infantry Division is there because my opponent attacked and destroyed the strongpoint that was in that hex. There was no attack on the actual units.

The 3rd Fallschirmjaeger Division was rushed to the Isigny area at first, but was moved towards the central part of the map on turn 6, where (supported by other units) it destroyed the first unit of this game, a tank battalion. The reason I moved it towards Isigny at first was because there's a marsh hex northwest of the town that the motorized battalions can't occupy and just Ost battalions wouldn't cut it.

I ended up moving the 352th Infantry Division west on turn 6 when the 3rd Fallschirmjaeger Division moved east.

As another note: there's a strongpoint in Caumont.

Last edited by Abwehr on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:29 am

Turn 6.

More withdrawing. The Luftwaffe showed up.

I destroyed an overextended tank battalion.

Last edited by Abwehr on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:30 am

Turn 7.

More withdrawing.

Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:31 am

Turn 8.

Mud, not much happening. Luftwaffe showed up again.

I destroyed an overextended Ranger battalion.

Last edited by Abwehr on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:33 am

Turn 9.

More mud.

Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:39 am

Turn 10.

A preventable KIA for me. I thought the artillery unit near St. Lo would be safe, but a recon unit raced there and destroyed it.

Artillery units having a defensive strength of 1 and usually not being able to entrench is sort of a pet peeve of mine for the DB series (virtually anything can drive up and kill the units), but I could've placed an AT or FlaK battalion in its hex.

The KIA denied me an overwhelming victory.

I destroyed the recon battalion of 2nd Armor and another tank battalion.

Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:41 am

Results.

Due to my error in unit placement/not taking the possibility of a recon unit dashing forward into account, no overwhelming victory.

I would like to thank my opponent, General Alexandra, for the game.

Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby YappyRaccoon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:11 am

Good strategy. Allies fear you and Hitler sacks you for this careful retreat and nibbling attacks.
YappyRaccoon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion