Omaha AAR Abwehr (Allies) vs Gen Alexandra

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Omaha AAR Abwehr (Allies) vs Gen Alexandra

Postby Abwehr » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:50 pm

Whereas the larger scenarios in BiN (or any DB series game for that matter) can suffer from becoming more luck than skill based, there's far more room for actually winning through a decent/good strategy in smaller scenarios.

First, a few comments on BiN:

If you've read the OTP AAR's of last year/early this year, you probably noticed that the weather and the success or failure of individual (but in their own right crucial) die rolls can dramatically change the outcome of a game.

The main problem the Germans face is that they can't really make good stacks because they'll be penalized (with double dice) for making good stacks, so after turn 30 an OTP game comes down to hoping the Allies will roll mediocre rolls. The CRT's don't really help, as they're usually 50/50 chance for a step loss or retreat. Although I enjoyed the first part of my OTP game against JSS, the second half was a bit of a letdown (also the reason why it was stopped) because there was little else for me to do than rearrange my lines a bit after the Allied turn.

The Allies (and to a lesser extent the Germans when they attack with SS units) mostly suffer from the poor CRT's in the sense that no matter how good their actual odds are, the game tops them at 10:1 with a ~50/50 retreat chance, so if they get some poor rolls, their offensive stops or they're forced to "grind" (using lower odds attacks to cause step losses).

The Allies also need super defensive artillery shift battleships to avoid being overran on the Commonwealth beaches.

Both sides can also (ab)use the retreat priority rules to get some kills.

However, in the Omaha scenario the Allies won't usually have the means or the time to grind and the Germans can try to stage an organized fighting retreat. Although the Allies still have a 2 offensive shift artillery unit and several 2 defensive shift artillery units, that's very different from focussing a massive +8 or more artillery shift on an attack like in OTP. The Germans also don't have good artillery or more than a few units with a tank shock bonus, so the chance of them actually attacking is pretty small.

Omaha is not a scenario where you just hit end turn after shuffling your units around, you can and should make some properly planned attacks during your turns, at least the early ones.

The VP's heavily favour the Allies in a way, as the Axis only get VP's for Isigny which means that even when losing no units, they can only win with a bit over 100 or so VP's in their favour, as the Allies also get a fair amount of VP's for fort destruction. Winning as the Allies can be accomplished through either a capture of Isigny or the destruction of German units.

As a final note, and I'll write this bit in caps because it's very important: ALWAYS CHECK THE TERRAIN/CRT OF THE HEX YOU PLACE YOUR UNITS IN OR THAT YOUR OPPONENT IS DEFENDING!

There are numerous hexes that look like non-clear hexes on the map, even though they are clear hexes. That's mostly something the Germans need to keep in mind, but a good Allied player can also identify weak points in the German line (especially along the horizontal minor river, which has several clear hexes on the "German" side).
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:53 pm

Turn 1.

Conservative landing after reasonably decent bombardment rolls.

I forgot to attack a fort next to a landing zone, but that wasn't really important in the end as I could overrun it next turn.

7 step losses, 2 regiments lost half their steps, but other than that the landings went fairly well. I didn't land any non-combat units.

The screenshot shows the end of my turn (from the perspective of the start of the German turn at the start of the replay) and the end of the German turn (from the perspective of the start of my next turn at the end of the replay of the previous turn).

Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:54 pm

Turn 2.

Expanding the bridgehead.

For some reason, I could land units in a hex 3 hexes from a German unit without taking a landing attrition roll.

It's easy to forget about it/use it in combat, but the Allies have an artillery unit that can cause an artillery OP penalty in a 1 hex radius. The penalty is just 1 point, but combined with air interdiction it can add up, especially as it will partially nullify a decrease in air interdiction if AA is in the area.

Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:00 pm

Turn 3.

2nd Armor lost 4 steps on landing. I landed it in the east to outflank the German line and hopefully get some kills, particularly the regiment of the 716th Infantry Division.

I destroyed an Ost battalion and a StuG battalion this turn. They were unentrenched in clear hexes on the other side of the minor river and I got good rolls upon attacking.

Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:11 pm

Turn 4.

In a surprising turn of events, my recon units capture Isigny.

There was no unit on the German side of the remaining bridge and Isigny was held by a FlaK battalion (which was still pretty tough, even with 4 artillery shifts I only got 5:1 odds).

An Ost battalion was displaced after taking 1 step loss. I believe I also damaged a regiment of the 352th.

The regiment of the 716th Infantry Division was displaced by various forces and overran by 2nd Armor.

In the German part of the turn, an Ost battalion moves across the minor river in an attempt to disrupt my supply lines.

Last edited by Abwehr on Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:16 pm

Turn 5.

A fairly brutal turn in terms of destroyed units, 6 German units were destroyed. 3 Ost battalions, 2 FlaK battalions and the military police unit.

My opponent was trying to plug holes in his line with non-combat units or Ost battalions, which resulted in high losses.

Rain means no air interdiction for turn 5, 6 and 9. Turn 7 even has a storm, although air interdiction is available.

Last edited by Abwehr on Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:45 am

Turn 6.

I tried to dislodge the German line by grinding a regiment of the 352th Infantry Division into pulp, but after the third battle, the regiment retreated without a single step loss as all 3 rolls of my rolls were rather poor.

1 KIA, an out of supply FlaK battalion.

Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:19 am

Turn 7.

KIA'ed a motorized infantry battalion.

Last edited by Abwehr on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:19 am

Turn 8.

Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:20 am

Turn 9.

KIA'ed the StuG battalion behind my lines.

Last edited by Abwehr on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:20 am

Turn 10.

KIA'ed 2 Ost battalions.

Last edited by Abwehr on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:21 am

Results.

I would like to thank my opponent, General Alexandra, for this game as well.

Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby YappyRaccoon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:49 am

I think sending small units disrupting supply creative but not worth the losses. Germans never counterattacked?
YappyRaccoon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion