OTP Abwehr vs Noakesy

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

OTP Abwehr vs Noakesy

Postby Abwehr » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:48 am

I've started an OTP game with Noakesy using the, I believe, pro-Axis version (by Noakesy's preference).

The Allied landings suffered fairly high timed step losses. During the landings, the Allies lost an airborne regiment of the 101st, a Ranger battalion, a Commando battalion, a Canadian recon unit of the 3rd Canadian Infantry and a US 155mm artillery battalion.

My turn 1 losses were the Merville guns and an Ost battalion. As of turn 5, I've also lost KG Von der Heydte (died near Carentan after being bumped out of the city hex) and an AT battalion (stuck out of supply in a forest hex).

The AT battalion was lost thanks to what I see as one of my primary annoyances with the DB series: as support units have essentially 1 "bullet", they're immediately out of supply when they can't trace supply a turn after using extended movement, truck/train movement or digging in. That means they have a minimum OP, which is often not enough to move them out of the hex. Even though the unit had a nearly full OP reserve, it could not use extended movement. For support units, the defensive jerrycan system proves to be superior.

The Allies have captured Carentan this turn, and are in a non-VH Caen hex, but the front is still in a reasonable shape.

No houserules this time.

I'll post screenshots starting on turn 6.
Last edited by Abwehr on Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby critter » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:28 am

We usually play with the German version. In fact I've never played the Allied version b4.
I agree with you on the support unit supply rules. What bothers me most are the retreat rules. Lost many of Ind tank Batts to Noakesy.
Good luck. He's a sneaky bastard. :lol:
critter
Major
Major

Postby Noakesy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:17 pm

critter wrote: Good luck. He's a sneaky bastard. :lol:

How unkind :wink: :D I think I'm playing 2-3 games of this at the moment, can't say any of them are going brilliantly (big change there then :D ).
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Amgot » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:12 pm

Will be following this. Good luck to both of you!
Amgot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:20 am

OK, my defenses are already less than ideal, and there wasn't an awful lot I could do about halting the Allies in some places.

The super naval artillery kept me from crushing Noakesy's excursion across the Dives, although he hasn't taken the city yet (he will next turn, the unit there isn't entrenched and shock modifiers are not affected by whether a shift is positive or negative). The naval artillery can really be extremely frustrating.

He also landed some American units in Cherbourg, a feat which I thought wasn't possible until later on. Somehow, even though landing in the middle of a huge concentration of forts, he didn't suffer a single step loss. No houserules, so no historical Cherbourg landing houserules. I'll have to evacuate most of the Cotentin peninsula now, supply is a nightmare without Cherbourg. The only "good" news is that aside from KG Von der Heydte I haven't lost any good units yet.

Screenshots will follow later.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Carl Myers » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:12 am

On the other hand, Cherbourg is not a supply point for the Allies until turn 40. Some Ost battalions could stop the unsupplied Allied units.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:30 am

The problem is not the Allied supply, the problem is that supply on the Cotentin peninsula is a nightmare even with the Cherbourg supply point. My game against Lysimachus clearly indicated that. Most of my units were constantly out of supply when in forward positions, and I consider it to be a nice feat that I managed to extract most of them. You just don't have the AA units to spare to cover the entire peninsula, or even most of the main road through Lessay.

1 or 2 interdictions between the supply point in Periers and the units on the peninsula and POOF! there goes my supply.

I guess I could attack the two Allied battalions, to remove their second bullet (assuming they're entrenching). However, if he has battleships in range (and he seems to have), there's no way in hell I can beat a -6 shift (-3 battleship, -1 entrenchment, -2 city hex) even with some positive modifiers.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:18 pm

Carl Myers wrote:On the other hand, Cherbourg is not a supply point for the Allies until turn 40. Some Ost battalions could stop the unsupplied Allied units.

I also did this landing against Carl successfully (I normally do it if I can, and in another game with me as Fritz currently I can see my opponent hovering around Cherbourg looking to see if he can land). However, against Carl I then lost within the next 15 turns :wink: :cry:
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:05 pm

Feel free to keep reading Andrew, I'll just delay the screenshots a turn or so in case I have a surprise prepared. Thus far, everything I have is essentially at the front, so no surprises there.

I don't really have the forces to counterattack a city hex in the Cotentin peninsula, so the best I can do is keep the units there from going anywhere.

Noakesy used 2nd Armour to capture Carentan and then used it to threaten the flank of my defenders in the Omaha sector. He got some good *-D1R rolls on his turn 7, which is good as some of his earlier rolls got awful results. My counterattacks are still underperforming somewhat in clear terrain, with hardly a Commonwealth step being lost after one good counterattack knocked 4 steps off a stack.

Some of the results I'm getting remind me of a Kharkov 1943/Last Victory in Russia game with Noakesy where, in about 3 or 4 different games, I always got 1's near Voroshilovgrad when attacking west of the city. It was like a certain hex was haunted by jinxed dice.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:10 pm

Screenshots for turn 6, taken at the start of turn 7 using the replay feature, so no interdiction is visible and the frontlines have already been corrected.

As usual, I send Panzer Lehr to the bocage area to limit the British advance there. In my opinion, there are only advantages with such an approach. I don't really need Panzer Lehr near Caen for the moment. Noakesy's attack across the Dives did mean there were fewer units in the bocage area than intended, so the British did move into some of the hexes, but nothing too problematic yet.

The Dives expeditionary force, as Noakesy calls it, is toast as tanks to clever unit placement and a minefield behind Dives, he couldn't get more than 7:1 odds. He still attacked, so the three commando units are isolated as they have no bullets left. He moved them to the town hex with the minefield north of their position on turn 7, and even though he got a plethora of negative modifiers, the best I could get was 8:1. The attack did roll double dice, one commando unit died and the rest of the units are at 1 step (the airborne regiment will get a step back next turn).

Considering that there are not that many Commonwealth and minor European Allied combat units (92), the loss of 6 units is nice (4 commando units, a Canadian recon unit and an airborne regiment). The loss of the commando units is also nice because it removes units with decent shock modifiers, and units that can move across major rivers. Any future attempts to take Dives prior to the arrival of pontoon units should thus be complicated by the lack of good shifts (as there will be few, if any, units on my side of the river).
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Noakesy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:57 am

Abwehr wrote:Feel free to keep reading Andrew, I'll just delay the screenshots a turn or so in case I have a surprise prepared. Thus far, everything I have is essentially at the front, so no surprises there.

Sorry, didn't realise, I'll stop reading this if you like, that's fine with me. Yep, the demise of the Dives expeditionary force is rather depressing. It was going to perish anyway, so a 1/6 chance of getting a retreat was worth doing (I think!) :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:28 am

It's fine, I didn't include "no Noakesy" in the title, so I'm fine with you reading it. As said: no surprises to hide yet.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:09 am

We're now at turn 29. I'll post the screenshots from turn 7 to turn 28 and give some commentary after having posted them. It should be fairly clear what's going on.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:12 am

Turn 7:

Note that the weather was clear, but as these screenshots are taken using the replay feature of the next turn, it shows that turn's weather, which was mud for turn 8.

Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:24 am

Turn 8:

Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion