I have owned this game for about 1 year

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

I have owned this game for about 1 year

Postby Harry Gilmer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:32 am

And am finally getting into it.

One question. Has anyone played the Cherbourg scenario as the allies and is it as hard as it seems? I thought I would start small and work my way into the bigger scenarios.

Oh, and I am new here. Hi.
Harry Gilmer
Private
Private

Postby JSS » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:17 pm

Welcome Harry!!!

Cherbourg and Bloody Omaha are two good scenarios to learn how to play the game, small in terms of map and units, challenging enough that you have to form strategies.

Cherbourg is generally an Allied favored scenario (IIRC). Its a matter that you have to play very aggressively as the Americans and keep the Germans from getting established. If you give the German side some time to get set, then it becomes very tough to gain any momemtum and the Allied player will lose (pretty badly).

Great scenario to learn the game mechanics and formulate strategy.

JSS
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Thank you for the reply

Postby Harry Gilmer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:10 am

It's too bad that this is such an old program so not many people play it, but I've enjoyed immensely the AARs. I guess I now have to get Battles in Italy, as well, lol. Especially after seeing how many player made scenarios were made for it.
Harry Gilmer
Private
Private

Postby Harry Gilmer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:26 pm

Yeehaa, I only lost the Cherbourg scenario by 475 points. My best effort yet in 3 tries!

I'd like to whop people on the head who say, "Yes, the first time I played this I got a draw as allies." :twisted:
Harry Gilmer
Private
Private

Postby Lysimachus » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:22 am

Like JSS said, you'll have to be extremely aggressive. If you look at the victory point locations, if the Germans can hold them on the last turn they can get a hefty amount of points which can win it for them. I read apparently the scenarios aren't as well balanced as the main battle though.
Lysimachus
Sergeant
Sergeant

I beat Overlord, lol....

Postby Harry Gilmer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:17 am

On the easiest settings. But, the first time I played it on the easiest settings, I was getting my rear handed to me by the AI. The second time seemed a heck of a lot easier.

I wish I had found this title a lot sooner than I have.

One cool thing that happened (in my opinion). My British paratroopers landed in a good spot so that I could hold onto the city NW of the city of Caen. At one point the AI took off the defenders dug in there for an assault from the front of Caen, so I let my paratroopers going walking around. The AI did not like that at all, but he left Caen lightly defended so I took it pretty early.

I smashed the AI like the Allies usually smash the Germans when I let the AI play itself. So, maybe I'm ready for harder settings. I won by 5,111 points.
Harry Gilmer
Private
Private

Postby Amgot » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:19 pm

Time for PBEM! You'll realize that this gets much harder against human opponents... but also much more interesting!
Amgot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Harry Gilmer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:27 pm

Let me beat the AI on normal settings before I do that. I think one of the biggest things I learned from the 1st game to the 2nd was that on an overrun, if a unit still has movement, it can chase the overran unit and attack again which increases opponent unit destruction.

Another good thing about this game is when you're playing the AI, you can finish a full length scenario in a day.
-----------------
Speed: Well, you know Harry, like old momma said, next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing.

Speed knew me well.
Harry Gilmer
Private
Private

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion