Omaha'rd!

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Omaha'rd!

Postby spelk » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:31 am

I wondered if some veteren players could point me in the right direction..

I've played the Bloody Omaha scenario about four or five times now, and I'm having trouble holding an Allied score the full 10 turns.

To minimise losses I've been holding off the landing, until I've cleared the beaches of strongpoints, but more importantly have bombarded the fortified positions into rubble. So its turn 2 by the time I'm rolling onto the beach with my infantry. I bring them forward, I bombard the remaining strongpoints, get my 2nd armoured landed and begin the push.

I've tried several approaches, but usually whether I go west or east, I get swamped around turn 6 or 7 by the elite axis troops. Often bogging down in combat around the marshes or at the bridge points south. My last run, I sent my troops out fast to the west and managed to get to Igney(sp?) I think the speed of movement meant I didn't meet a wall of axis opposition at the boundaries.. and for once my score was in my favour. However, I was flanked badly on the east side by elite enemy troops, and even entrenching and hoping for turn 10 to maintain a positive allied score it still all shifted to an axis victory.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. It seems to get to the main victory position, it takes a swift run in, and then it leaves my beachead vulnerable to a nasty flank.

I like the fact that you can support the landings with the naval units, however, it seems harsh that you can only hit strongpoints and fortifications, and not use their fire direct onto units. By about turn 6 or 7 most strongpoints/forts in range of my navy are demolished. And while my land troops struggle, I can't bombard the enemy direct, when I've spotted them.

I want to perservere with this scenario, until I know what I'm doing, and I can formulate plans that actually work.

Any help or advice on this scenario, or general strategy/tactics would be most welcome.
spelk
New Recruit

Postby jjdenver » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:20 am

I haven't tried this scenario but have a look at Omaha strategy article on this page:

http://ssg.com.au/?page=articles
jjdenver
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby spelk » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:00 am

Ah thanks for that jjdenver, dunno how I missed that. Will take a look.
spelk
New Recruit

Postby Lysimachus » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:48 am

I'm not a veteran at the game but I don't think waiting until the second turn to land is a good idea at all. Your regiments have four steps, so you'll have to roll a 5 or 6 every single time for any of them to be destroyed so it's best to just go ahead with it.

What I do is use my destroyers to clear the strongpoints and then use my cruisers and battleships on the larger fortifications. By turn 2 you can sweep most of these away and begin your advance. You'll want to get across the river quickly too because otherwise you'll have to deal with attacking without any shift bonuses along an extremely narrow front (Omaha is a very small scenario) which you can't manoeuvre around.
Lysimachus
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion