"How-to" PBEM?

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

"How-to" PBEM?

Postby rod » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:01 am

Hello all,

I recently bought BiN, played some scenarios against AI to learn the game system and really enjoyed it.

Now I'd like to pbem against a friend but I cannot find a clear guide describing how to properly setup and play by email, especially secure pbem. I read posts related to pbem on this forum but most of them deal with specific issues. Game manuel doesn't decribe pbem process either.
I'm looking for simple instructions such as "player A does this, player B put file XXX in folder YYY, player A selects this..." and so on in order to know where and when should I put files I'm getting by email.

Sorry for asking such a newbie question but all my tries failed. Most of the time I get a "no game is registered on this machine" message when I try to play with a file my opponent sent me.

Another point: by trying to play by email I noticed that in secure mode I'm able to leave the game and to find the turn I'm playing as I left it when I restart BiN and select "load email game". Very usefull for a busy man like me. Is there any way to do the same in unsecure mode? Or should unsecure turns be played in one seat?

Thanks for your help

Rod
rod
New Recruit

Re: "How-to" PBEM?

Postby Carl Myers » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:22 am

Another point: by trying to play by email I noticed that in secure mode I'm able to leave the game and to find the turn I'm playing as I left it when I restart BiN and select "load email game". Very usefull for a busy man like me. Is there any way to do the same in unsecure mode? Or should unsecure turns be played in one seat?

No.
Yes.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Roger Keating » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:26 am

The philosophy behind unsecure games is that a player can restart any turn, replay any turn or treat it very much as a saved game environment.

It is assumed that between two people who know each other that this would not be used to cheat and it is an excellent way to test a new scenario or get to know how to play one.

Secure mode is built to not allow access except for the current turn and once started cannot be restarted. This would provide a problem if the computer crashed during the turn, and we all know that this is a common occurance, so some method was needed to be able to resume a game if this happened. Once started a secure game will have to be completed before any other secure game can be played. The system will simply refuse to start unless the previous turn was finished.

In the case that you really have finished with a turn but it was terminated half way through a player will have to manually remove the files in the ".\SaveEmail\Secure" folder. This is where the files are stored during a secure turn, although data about the secure game is also kept in other areas of the computer as well.

Secure mode does present a few problems but to solve them would open holes in the system that could be exploited by an unscrupulous player. We have tried to make it as friendly aas we can while maintaining the secure properties.

I hope this answers your question.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Strax » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:07 pm

How to PBEM

Hello Rod,
Welcome to the forum.

Fire up BiN,
Start new game,
Select battle folder (choose the game you want to play ie: Overlord).
Click Play Battle,
Choose your settings (hidden units, normal supply etc).
Click Set Up Email game,

If you're playing with Security On, which you choose on the screen now being displayed, you will be the side that doesn't start first, ie: in Overlord you would be Axis. If Security is off you would be the Allied side.

If you wish it the otherway round then your opponent must set up the email game.

Click through and fill in each box on this next screen.

No profile stipulated doesn't have to be filled in, worry about this another time but do click in it.

Click accept Email game,
Click start secure game,
Click exit and send.

The game will close down and your email account should fire up with the subject filled in and the game turn file attached. If it doesn't, don't worry.

Fire up your email account and attach the file to your email.
Presuming you have BiN saved on your c drive, follow this path.

Computer/ c drive/ matrix games/ Battles in Normandy/ Save Email/ Send/

In the Send folder you should find the start up file and all subsequent turns of your game.

Attach it to your email, be rude to your opponent about how you're going to grind his bones into the beaches and then send it.

Your opponent should then be able to download the attachment and begin storming the beaches.

The only other thing is to make sure you're both running the same patched version of the game. It's v1.01 and make sure you have no other unfinished secure turns in your register as Roger explained above.

Good luck.

PS. When I recieve turns I just save them to my desktop and then fire the turn up by clicking on them. I have a good clear out on my desktop after evry three or four turns.
Strax
Major
Major

Postby rod » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:34 am

I now have a clear view of pbem. Now I just have to start playing!

Thanks to you all for your answers.
rod
New Recruit

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion