AAR OtP vs JSS (VICTORY!)

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Postby Amgot » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:54 pm

Abwehr wrote:I'm not sure how BiN handles multiple nationality attacks, so I'm not sure whether a single American unit in a Commonwealth stack will be enough to be able to launch a carpet bombing attack.

American and British forces cannot combine their forces but I think that with the amount of +3 and +2 artillery units the Americans have, they would be able to get minimal odds for pretty much any hex.

The most likely scenario is first an American attack with carpet bombing to soften up an hex, followed by a massive British attack on the same hex that takes advantage of their engineer units with shock values at 4 against German units which anti-shock capabilities have been reduced by the carpet bombing. In the bocage, it's impossible for any German unit to still have enough anti-shock capability to match the British engineers units' shock value of 4. That way, JSS could try to cross the Odon for example.
Amgot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Amgot » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:16 am

Turn 46, July 21st, 1944 – Patton is in a hurry

Patton is in a hurry to get to St Lo: he abandons his 7-1 grinding and reaches the outskirts of the city. Thankfully, that also means no Axis units are destroyed. On the British side, Monty tries to gain a foothold in Caen South but he fails.

Only some minor action is reported in the area, with a regiment of the 77th Division and a fallschirmjager regiment exposed on three sides suffering light losses.

The 3rd Fallschirmjager slowly gives ground. Soon, we will have to retreat much more than that!

KG Von der Heydte, which was guarding the northeast access to St Lo, is pushed back into the city with light losses after a powerful attack from the 4th Armor, 82nd Airborne and 79th I.D. No action at Caumont, where US troops sit still.

The Yanks are mired in the minefields surrounding St Lo, and we’re not about to make their task easier! We have to hold the city for two turns, before the evacuation begins on turn 48.

The US 35th I.D. attacks and threatens Villers-Bocage’s north and west accesses, while the Brits apply some pressure northeast of the town.

A Tiger battalion is sent in to hold the city for as long as possible.

Monty tries a 7-1 attack on the exposed Caen city hex, but it fails.

Two British stacks are pushed back with moderate losses (3 steps in total). No damage on our side.

Amgot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:55 pm

The persistent residue around Caen most be really annoying for primarily the Allies (the Axis mobile forces have fairly generous OP's).

I'm starting a new OTP campaign vs. Noakesy. I hope that will end up as less of a mathematical grind than the game against JSS. There are no houserules this time.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Amgot » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:15 pm

Yes, I'm counting on the residue to further delay JSS's units when I pull back on the carpet bombings turn. I'm still not sure how I will proceed exactly in the Caen area.

Good luck against Noakesy, keep us posted on your progress!
Amgot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Noakesy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:22 am

Amgot wrote:Good luck against Noakesy, keep us posted on your progress!

Oy, he doesn't need that... :wink: :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Abwehr » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:08 am

Noakesy had terrible luck with his landings it seems, he lost an airborne regiment (!) and 3 battalions as well as plenty of timed steps. He didn't trigger a lot of forces, though.

The upcoming weather is almost like Noakesy brought some British weather across the Channel: turn 6-7 rain, turn 8-9 rain/mud.

I might start a new AAR.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Amgot » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:01 am

Wow, sounds like you've been particularly unlucky, Noakesy. Good luck!

Abwehr wrote:I might start a new AAR.

Please do, I would enjoy reading something else than my own writing ;)
Amgot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Amgot » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:02 pm

Turn 47, July 22nd, 1944 – The Yanks take Villers-Bocage

In spite of the mud, the Allies continue their slow trudge forward. No progress is made at St-Lo but Villers-Bocage falls into enemy hands. The good news is that none of my units have been destroyed, and those who’ve suffered step losses have timed steps available, so no regular replacements have to be used.

The 1st I.D. makes some unintended progress west of Périers following a high roll on a 7-1 attack. The area clearly is not JSS’s priority though. East, the fallschirmjagers suffer some losses but withstand the US attacks nonetheless.

Under heavy pressure, the 2nd Fallschirmjager continues its retreat north of Marigny. I’m starting to be a little overextended here, as is shown by my failure to double my defense line in many points, most notably northeast of St-Sauveur-en-Lendelin. Let’s hope JSS won’t take advantage of that.

Not a whole lot of action at St Lo, where a regiment of the 353rd suffers some light losses. The minefields prove to be efficient in slowing down the US advance. Still no action at Caumont.

The St-Lo VL is left exposed on two sides but is well defended by KG von der Hedyte and a Pak battalion. Whether they hold the city is not very important as I intend to pull back next turn – though if they manage to hold it, it should make my pull back slightly easier.

The Yanks have pushed hard despite the mud, and the 35th I.D. manages to capture Villers-Bocage. Northeast of the town, the Brits also push back a regiment of the 363rd Division.

This area promises to be the most difficult one for my planned pull back on turn 48 and 49. It is where I have the least room to maneuver, as my goal is to end up on turn 50 behind the Orne. Thankfully, this is mostly a British sector, which makes it more complicated for JSS to effectively use his American carpet bombings. Also, turn 49 will be muddy, which will slow down enemy advance. Still, I’ll have to be much more stringent regarding pull backs than in the St Lo and Coutances areas if I don’t want JSS to be in a position to effectively attack over the Orne with his five carpet bombings on turn 50.

Another attack on Caen, another failure for Monty. Meanwhile, JSS seems to be preparing a nasty surprise for me: he brought the 6th Armor and a lot of US independent units in the area. Will he try to attack over the Orne as soon as next turn, or is he simply getting ready to use the upcoming American carpet bombings on turn 49 and 50 in the Caen area?

The mud hampers offensive operation but the panzerdivisionen still manage to push back two British stacks, inflicting six steps of damage for only one step lost. It is crucial that these offensive operations continue up until the last moment in order to 1. keep British divisions as far as possible from our lines; 2. dent their offensive capability; and 3. make sure that there is a constant combat residue in the plain east of Caen – this will slow down the Brits when we pull back on turn 49.

Amgot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:36 pm

What's really odd is that the pontoon/bridge construction traffic jam penalty seems to use the same rules as residue, where if a hex is contested, the penalty won't decrease. That pontoon across the Dives never seems to lose its penalty.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Amgot » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:47 pm

Turn 48, July 23rd, 1944 – Operation Cobra phase 1: abandoning St Lo

In anticipation of Operation Cobra’s beginning next turn, a first limited pull-back is operated. The goal here is make sure that JSS won’t be able to use in an efficient way his two carpet bombings. Ground condition will be muddy next turn, which will slow him down even more. He will probably still be able to reach some of my units in a few places though.

Some minor US grinding attacks fail in this area, leaving most of my units intact. The 2nd Armor has shifted west and is currently located in the US stacks north of my 77th Division.

Post-retreat.

Patton hasn’t attempted any attack against St-Lo, where KG Von der Heydte was solidly entrenched. However, north of Torigni, a series of four 7-1 attacks succeeds, and a 4-step regiment of the 709th Division is destroyed. No action at Caumont and Villers-Bocage.

Post-retreat.

No enemy activity on the Odon. Our pull-back in the trickiest area of the front should be made a little easier thanks to this.

Post-retreat. I’m taking advantage of the fact that next turn is a mud turn, which means that my troops behind the Orne can’t be attacked.

The enemy continues to attack the north easternmost district of Caen, inflicting some casualties to the fallschirmjager unit there. East of the Dives, probably emboldened by the upcoming carpet bombings, Monty advances his troops into clear terrain, though he avoids entering the minefields and Beuvron-en-Auge.

Two British stacks are once again pushed back from clear terrain northwest of Vimont. The northeastern most sector of Caen is abandoned, as well as a nebelwerfer unit short on OPs. Holding the bridges at Caen will force the US troops to use the bridge at Colombelles instead of flowing straight south into clear terrain south of the city. East of the Dives, the Frundsberg retreat to Crevecoeur while the Hohenstaufen is redeployed around Vimont.

Amgot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:21 pm

Impressive retreating, does it allow you enough retreat options for the second carpet bombing turn? You could've retreated a bit less in some areas, especially the western part of the map, possibly.

Also: could you post a list of KIA'ed units (by type would be good enough, I'm just curious what your whole unit losses look like)?
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Amgot » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:17 am

I think I'll still have enough room to retreat again next turn, but maybe I should indeed have retreated a bit less this turn and a bit more next turn. However, because of the mud next turn, my retreat will be rendered more difficult, hence why I favored publling back quite a lot this turn.

I won't hold Coutances for long. My goal is to gradually fall back in the bocage until turn 76. At that point, ideally, I will still hold the second line of big cities (Granville, Villedieu, Vire, Falaise). If I still hold these four cities by the end, I think victory should be achievable.

Regarding my losses, I have 58 units KIA'ed, including:

- 2 PzG regiments (21st and 2nd Panzer)
- 3 recon units (21st, LSSAH and independant)
- 9 four-step infantry regiments (including those two regiments of the 352nd Division with 6 timed replacements - I still can't get over those)
- 5 three-step infantry regiments
- 23 two-step battalions (including 15 Ost battalions)
- 16 misc units (artillery, support, flak...)

Replacements are at 18 infantry and 7 armor, though I should get a bunch more from the alert points I get by abandoning St-Lo and Caen (and maybe Coutances).
Amgot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Abwehr » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:48 am

Ouch, those losses sound like they must be painful by now.

I believe I've lost 8 units in my game against Noakesy thus far (nothing I can't afford to miss, although losing KG Von der Heydte was a pity). My whole unit losses in the game against JSS were pretty low at the point where we quit.

That reminds me that I really need to update the AAR of the game against Noakesy.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Amgot » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:30 am

Abwehr wrote:Ouch, those losses sound like they must be painful by now.

Well to be honest, I haven't had such a big problem holding the line so far. I finally got the powerful 319th Division arriving from the Channel Islands this turn - and the 116th PzD is only two turns away, with two additional infantry divisions arriving a few turns after. But I reckon that because I have suffered heavy losses, I must absolutely not let JSS use his carpet bombings to destroy even more of my units - and that's why next turn, I will once again retreat quite a lot to make sure I'm out of reach.

Abwehr wrote:That reminds me that I really need to update the AAR of the game against Noakesy.

Please do, I'm curious to see how it unfolds.
Amgot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Flak » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:15 am

Amgot,

Many thanks for sharing this excellent AAR with me (us)!
Your defence is impressive in my eyes tho I must admit I have just bought KP and BiN and am still learning the system.

If I may a question :wink:

How realistic are the chances in BiN of a (tho limited) Axis counterattack? In the scenario you are playing that is.
I know alot depends on the skill of the Allied player but I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Regards.
Flak
New Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion