AAR OtP vs JSS (VICTORY!)

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

AAR OtP vs JSS (VICTORY!)

Postby Amgot » Tue May 11, 2010 8:53 am

I feel that with the coming of the new K:DotD engine, there are less and less people playing BiN. It is sad in my opinion as, even though it less evolved than the new engine, BiN is still a fantastical game.

So, this AAR will be an attempt to breath some life back into that good ol' BiN by trying my luck as the Axis against an experienced Allied player, the mighty JSS.

I will post one turn per post, with pictures as the start and at the end of the turn, so you can see what moves I made and comment them if you wish so. If not, just sit back, watch me try to hold Normandy against the Allied armada and enjoy the show!

Edit: here's a list of all turns played so far. Sorry, I was too lazy to insert hyperlinks, so you'll have to browse through the thread to find each of them. ;)

Turn 1, June 6th, 1944 – Sie kommen!
Turn 2, June 7th, 1944 – The 12th SS Panzer counterattacks!
Turn 3, June 8th, 1944 – The Hardest Day
Turn 4, June 9th, 1944 – Hope at Colombelles
Turn 5, June 10th, 1944 – The 2nd US Armored Division attacks at Omaha!
Turn 6, June 11th, 1944 – The fall of Carentan
Turn 7, June 12th, 1944 – The frontline settles
Turn 8, June 13th, 1944 – Mud, glorious mud!
Turn 9, June 14th, 1944 – All quiet on the Western front
Turn 10, June 15th, 1944 – Optimism sets in
Turn 11, June 16th, 1944 – Across the Dives
Turn 12, June 17th, 1944 – A new front opens up
Turn 13, June 18th, 1944 – First kill
Turn 14, June 19th, 1944 – 14 days later…
Turn 15, June 20th, 1944 – Standstill
Turn 16, June 21st, 1944 – The calm before the storm
Turn 17, June 22nd, 1944 – The 2nd Panzer in danger
Turn 18, June 23rd, 1944 – Beating on the Dives
Turn 19, June 24th, 1944 – Americans on the road, SS in the woods
Turn 20, June 25th, 1944 – Nearing Ranville
Turn 21, June 26th, 1944 – Tea time in Cherbourg
Turn 22, June 27th, 1944 – Clouds, glorious clouds!
Turn 23, June 28th, 1944 – Chaaarge!
Turn 24, June 29th, 1944 – Hangover
Turn 25, June 30th, 1944 – Farewell, Ranville…
Turn 26, July 1st, 1944 – Raid at Cheux
Turn 27, July 2nd, 1944 – The Brits enter Caen
Turn 28, July 3rd, 1944 – 28 days later…
Turn 29, July 4th, 1944 – Periers is threatened
Turn 30, July 5th, 1944 – Temporary stall
Turn 31, July 6th, 1944 – Full pressure
Turn 32, July 7th, 1944 – Monty’s good fortune
Turn 33, July 8th, 1944 – Getting stronger
Turn 34, July 9th, 1944 – One last breath
Turn 35, July 10th, 1944 – Waiting for the rain
Turn 36, July 11th, 1944 – Goodbye Cotentin
Turn 37, July 12th, 1944 – Operation Charnwood fails
Turn 38, July 13th, 1944 – Monty insists
Turn 39, July 14th, 1944 – Enjoying the mud
Turn 40, July 15th, 1944 – Nothing to report
Turn 41, July 16th, 1944 – Troarn is lost, St-Lo is threatened
Turn 42, July 17th, 1944 – Tactical retreat
Turn 43, July 18th, 1944 – Goodwood fails, Caumont falls
Turn 44, July 19th, 1944 – The Panzer show
Turn 45, July 20th, 1944 – Von Stauffenberg’s day
Turn 46, July 21st, 1944 – Patton is in a hurry
Turn 47, July 22nd, 1944 – The Yanks take Villers-Bocage
Turn 48, July 23rd, 1944 – Operation Cobra phase 1: abandoning St Lo
Turn 49, July 24th, 1944 – Operation Cobra phase 2: abandoning Caen
Turn 50, July 25th, 1944 – Operation Cobra epilogue: after the apocalypse
Turn 51, July 26th, 1944 – A new beginning
Turn 52, July 27th, 1944 – The Screaming Eagles enter Coutances
Last edited by Amgot on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Amgot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Amgot » Tue May 11, 2010 9:04 am

Turn 1, June 6th, 1944 - Sie kommen!

Two US airborne divisions land in the Cotentin, suffering heavy losses. An attack against a regiment of the 91st Airlanding Regiment fails north of Carentan, but the Americans still threaten the city. Our priority number 1 will be to hold this strategic crossroads as long as possible to prevent the Utah and Omaha beachheads from linking up. The main issue is the cruel lack of troops: the 709 ID has been alerted and will defend Montebourg and Valognes to the north, but we only have a weak Ost unit to prevent the paratroopers from progressing west toward St Sauveur.

Decision is made to move the best regiment of the 709 ID southeast of Urville to support the Ost unit defending the road to St Sauveur. The 91st Airlanding Regiment will defend Carentan, supported by a weak engineer unit for now. Air interdiction is applied to prevent American troops from coming out of Utah too quickly.

At Omaha, the situation is much less critical. Only four regiments of the 1st and 29th ID have landed: they have suffered light losses but they only partially hold the beach. No tanks or rangers have landed, and we’re not gonna make things any easier.

One Ost regiment is sent toward Carentan to help the defenders there while the 352nd ID prepares to delay American support landing for as long as possible.

Not much is known about how the landings at Gold and Juno went. However, intelligence reports indicate the 3rd ID suffered heavy losses while landing at Sword. This means that the 6th Airborne, which landed without any casualties on the east bank of the Orne, will not have a powerful support against our counter-attack before a few days. Good for us… The British commandos who landed in Cabourg are a hindrance though.

Those well-placed British units deny us the ability to launch any counter-attacks at Benouville, Colombelles, Troarn or Bavent.

Amgot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Joe » Tue May 11, 2010 12:01 pm

Nice! Keep it coming.

Joe
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Amgot » Tue May 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Turn 2, June 7th, 1944 – The 12th SS Panzer counterattacks!

The Allies progress very fast. Northeast of Carentan, a regiment of the 91st Airlanding takes a beating and is reduced to a single battalion. It is barely able to retreat over the Merderet, out of supply. West, the 82nd Airborne is about to reach St-Sauveur, where a strong line of defense is established behind a river. A light tank unit scouts north and reaches Pont l’Abbé but is then ordered to retreat and entrench itself. It seems that the Americans are not interested in progressing toward the north and Cherbourg, so we will keep our defense light on this side. There is a big gap in the marshes between Carentan and Pont-L’Abbé, and another one between Pont-L’Abbé and St Sauveur defended by only a weak regiment of the 243rd ID. Let’s hope the Americans won’t try and take advantage of it.

In the Omaha-Bayeux sector, the situation is less critical. Even though three divisions have landed, their support have not been able to do so yet – and won’t for at least another turn. At Bayeux, the English press hard but the city will be held one or two days more in order to cover the right flank of the 352nd ID.

At Caen, the 6th Airborne is solidly entrenched on the eastern side of the Orne. A counter-attack is in order

The 12th SS Hitler Jugend, with the support of the 21st Panzer, encircles and attacks a regiment of the 6th Airborne which is severely mauled: its only way of retreat is cut and it should be annihilated tomorrow. Next objective is Ranville and the drop zone south of Bavent. With a little luck, our demonstration will convince our opponent that the east side of the Orne is impossible to hold and that he has to retreat while he still has time. The Panzer Lehr division has been intentionally positioned in the area, so he gets the feeling that it will be engaged too on this side of the Orne (which will be the case if he tries to hold it). That would leave the whole sector west of Caen undefended though…

Amgot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Amgot » Fri May 14, 2010 1:40 am

Turn 3, June 8th, 1944 – The Hardest Day

Nearly everywhere, the enemy scores some dramatic successes, sometimes helped by lucky dice rolls. In the Cotentin, Carentan is threatened. Bayeux has fallen to British hands. And east of the Orne, the enemy has inflicted great damage to our units.

In the Cotentin, all the action takes place at Carentan: the retreating regiment of the 91st Airlanding Division is annihilated in the marshes where it had retreated. More of a concern, the enemy breaks through west of Carentan, dispatching a fusilier battalion of the 77th I.D. and threatening the western access to the town.

The reaction is swift: the 77th ID comes to the rescue and plugs the holes. After much hesitation, Kampfgruppe Von der Heydte does not abandon the northern part of Carentan, taking the risk of being encircled. Developments in the next few days there will be crucial for the rest of the battle.
In the western part of the front, the 243rd ID leaves its defensive position near St Sauveur and advances toward the enemy in order to establish a new frontline as far east as possible. American presence is light: only the 82nd Airborne and the 90th ID, supported by a few tank units, hold the northern and western part of the bridgehead.

In the Omaha-Bayeux sector, the right flank of the 352nd ID is threatened: Surrain has been taken by American forces and the Brits push hard at Bayeux.

Bayeux is abandoned while the 352nd ID slowly retreats behind the Aude river, trying to delay the landing of American support units at Omaha. Two questions remain: what will the British 7th Armour and 50th Infantry do? Are they going to head south toward Tilly or are they going to keep putting pressure on the 352nd flank? The second question is about the location of the American 2nd Armored Division. It has been spotted near Vierville but has it landed there or did it land in Utah? If the former option has been chosen, Isigny is the most likely objective. If it is the latter, an offensive toward Cherbourg or St Sauveur is to be expected.

The most important fighting is taking place east of Caen. Our bold attack against the 6th Airborne has turned into a disaster. Caught into open terrain, two point units (the 21st Panzer recon regiment and Becker PanzerJager battalion) have been annihilated by a British counter-attack. On top of it, the 6th Airborne regiment has been able to get back safely behind British lines! Two light infantry units that had crossed the Dives south of Cabourg have also been pushed back. The only good news is that Troarn has been evacuated.

Except for the two divisions near Bayeux, all major British units are east of the Orne. The Panzer Lehr could launch a counterattack toward the beaches west of Caen, but it would risk being caught in the open. Besides, denying the enemy a bridgehead on the east bank of the Orne river is our top priority, so the Panzer Lehr will be used there. Artillery and reinforcements are slowly arriving but the only two units we have to counterattack are the 12th Panzer SS (not yet at full strength) and the Panzer Lehr, with the support of elements of the 21st Panzer. The 2nd Panzer will arrive in two days. They face four British divisions, supported by a few independent armoured and commando units. The British troops also benefit from the defensive support of the very powerful guns of the Royal Navy.
Lacking heavy artillery, we are only able to launch a limited counter-attack, forcing two British regiments to retreat with light casualties. Tomorrow’s objectives will be to retake Colombelles and to progress in the woods north of Troarn toward the 6th Airborne’s DZ.

Edit: fixed Cotentin end of turn picture
Last edited by Amgot on Fri May 14, 2010 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amgot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby mcperis » Fri May 14, 2010 5:10 am

Ouch.. axis are well and truly screwed in this one... Caen will fall shortly. Then the whole position will collapse. This excellent AAR has given me the inpetus to try BIN again. Cheers and good luck!
mcperis
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Amgot » Fri May 14, 2010 6:02 am

mcperis wrote:Ouch.. axis are well and truly screwed in this one... Caen will fall shortly. Then the whole position will collapse.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. JSS is a very experienced player and I pay every mistake I make dearly. But the situation is not desperate yet: Carentan should hold for a while, and I don't think Caen will fall that soon.

mcperis wrote:This excellent AAR has given me the inpetus to try BIN again. Cheers and good luck!

Great, this is what I was hoping, more BiN players!
Amgot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Noakesy » Fri May 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Amgot wrote:Great, this is what I was hoping, more BiN players!

Some of us never went away, just that my files become so messed up by the numerous OTP variations I reckon :D
Image ImageImage
Noakesy
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mcperis » Fri May 14, 2010 6:23 pm

Amgot wrote:
mcperis wrote:Ouch.. axis are well and truly screwed in this one... Caen will fall shortly. Then the whole position will collapse.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. JSS is a very experienced player and I pay every mistake I make dearly. But the situation is not desperate yet: Carentan should hold for a while, and I don't think Caen will fall that soon.

Maybe, but now that the allies have crossed the Orne in strength and forcing the axis to defend along the eastern side of Caen then there must be a very soft centre all the way to St.Lo....
mcperis
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Amgot » Fri May 14, 2010 7:20 pm

Noakesy wrote:

Some of us never went away, just that my files become so messed up by the numerous OTP variations I reckon :D

I have to say it is confusing indeed! JSS and I are playing with the March08 version.

Amgot wrote:mcperis wrote:
Ouch.. axis are well and truly screwed in this one... Caen will fall shortly. Then the whole position will collapse.

Maybe, but now that the allies have crossed the Orne in strength and forcing the axis to defend along the eastern side of Caen then there must be a very soft centre all the way to St.Lo....

Well, I haven't posted pictures of what's happening between Caen and Bayeux because... nothing happened there! But you are right, I have practically nothing to hold the line Cheux-Fontenay-Tilly. The early capture of Cabourg by British commandos alerted the weak 16th I.D. which will try to hold this line but if the British 7th Armour and 50th Division launch an attack toward Tilly, I doubt I'll be able to hold it. Knowing JSS style of play, it wont be long before he takes advantage of that.
I'm less worried about the St-Lo sector, where I still have the powerful and unscathed 352nd I.D. to defend the sector - though I took a little risk by leaving two regiments quite exposed in order to delay American support landing at Omaha. If they don't get encircled this turn, I should be able to make a good fighting withdrawal.
Amgot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Amgot » Mon May 17, 2010 4:19 am

Turn 4, June 9th, 1944 – Hope at Colombelles

A pretty good turn for the Axis, with limited Allied successes and a decisive Axis success at Colombelles.

The Americans have launched two attacks in the Carentan sector: one west of the town has allowed them to take control of a strategic railroad bridge over the Douves river. It had been blown up but it is quickly repaired and will allow armored units to cross the river, including the 2nd Armored Division if it has landed at Utah (it hasn’t been sighted yet). East of Carentan, the second attack against Ost units in the marshes has failed.
The 82nd Airborne hasn’t taken advantage of the relative weakness of the 243nd I.D. (which wasn’t entrenched and wasn’t fully refit yet) west of Pont L’Abbé. Good for us!

The arrival of the elite 3rd Fallschirmjager division is going to help us hold the Allied attack west of Carentan. A solid defense line is established all around the Utah beacheead. The only real weak point is the lone H35 unit south of Pont L’Abbé, which will be reinforced by a Ost Unit tomorrow. That said, the containment of the Utah beachhead is taking a lot of units, which would be well needed at Omaha.

The Allies continue to apply a strong pressure on our units at Omaha, with limited success so far. The 2nd Armored Division “Hell on Wheels” is still nowhere to be seen, which is worrying.

Note: I had already moved the westernmost regiment of the 352nd I.D. before taking the screenshot

The second phase of the battle has started in this area. The nearly unscathed 352nd I.D. pulls back – which means that Allied support units will be able to land at last – and try to form a coherent defense line with the support of a number of independent units. A hole in the line south of the village of Burnesq might prove to be a danger. Reinforcements are on their way. Finally, the 17th Panzer SS GvB which will arrive tomorrow will either be sent to this area or to the Tilly area depending on the situation there.

The Tilly-Fontenay area has been very calm until now. But the 7th Armoured and the 50th Infantry, supported by some independent units, are now progressing towards the south.

For now, we only have the weak 16th I.D. to hold this sector. The 2nd Panzer is arriving tomorrow and will probably be sent to this sector if the situation east of Caen allows it.

The British haven’t done much east of Caen, but for a failed counter-attack on Troarn.

Once again, we force two British units to retreat from clear terrain between Troarn and Colombelles. More importantly, the 12th SS and the Panzer Lehr launch a combined assault on Colombelles which is taken. Our left flank is secure, and the SS are going to keep pushing towards Ranville.

Amgot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby critter » Mon May 17, 2010 12:22 pm

Noakesy wrote:

I can vouch that Noakesy still haunts the beaches. He'll give any axis defense nightmares. Make you almost believe Monty won the war. :roll: :D
Great AAR...
critter
Major
Major

Postby Amgot » Tue May 18, 2010 7:15 am

Turn 5, June 10th, 1944 – The 2nd US Armored Division attacks at Omaha!

After last turn’s good news, some bad news. The 2nd US Armored Division “Hell on Wheels” has attacked at Omaha, inflicting heavy damage on the 352nd and completely breaking the Germans’ thin defense line. This area has become the new hottest point on the front.

In the Cotentin, everything is calm. Only at Carentan are the Americans able to force KG Von der Heydte out of the northern part of the town. No big deal but it puts the rest of the city, which must be held at all costs, exposed to potentially powerful attacks.

The goal here is to establish a solid defense line while at the same time freeing up as many units as possible to send them to the Omaha front. The only real weak point at Carentan is a hex of clear terrain where the southernmost regiment of Fallschirmjager is entrenched. But with the number of American divisions in the area, JSS can potentially pretty much break through anywhere west of Carentan anyway. Let’s hope everything is gonna hold here as I have enough on my plate at Omaha.

The new hotspot in Normandy is at Omaha: my defense line got smashed there, and a regiment of the 352nd was obliterated. Now I’ll have to face relentless attacks from JSS who will surely try to prevent me from establishing a solid defensive line.

A very frail defense line is put in place, using the 352nd I.D and a number of independent units brought by train and truck: no doubt JSS will make short work of it. Air and naval interdiction is disrupting my supply and my ability to move my troops rapidly.
On top of it, a bug in the scenario gives my only air interdiction a range of one hex instead of two hexes, making it quite useless. A pity as if it had had a normal 2 hexes range, I would have been able to interdict a lot of allied movement by placing it in the marshes two hexes west of Trevieres. This is not essential but it would have been very useful to ease the pressure on my troops.

In the Tilly-Fontenay sector, a Stug regiment has been destroyed between Balleroy and Tilly. Save for that, the English have not attacked but they’re trying to infiltrate the 16th I.D. lines.

The lack of troops in this area is cruel. There is no option other than pulling back from Fontenay. Tilly should be held for one more turn. There is a big gap between St Paul du Vernay and Tilly which could not be manned. However, the lack of any road on a north-south axis in this area should prevent British troops from progressing too fast (well at least I hope so). A panzergrenadier regiment from the 12th Panzer SS will try to hold Cheux and Carpiquet airfield.

Sorry, forgot to take a screenshot of the initial situation at Caen.

At Caen, there isn’t much action. The 12th SS and Panzer Lehr are able to launch a combined attack and inflict good damage (without suffering any) to British and Canadian troops in clear terrain. Still no progression toward Ranville.

Amgot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Carl Myers » Tue May 18, 2010 7:39 am

On top of it, a bug in the scenario gives my only air interdiction a range of one hex instead of two hexes, making it quite useless. A pity as if it had had a normal 2 hexes range, I would have been able to interdict a lot of allied movement by placing it in the marshes two hexes west of Trevieres. This is not essential but it would have been very useful to ease the pressure on my troops.

Not a bug, you may be placing the interdiction during the good air of turn 5 but the interdiction will be executed during the bad air of turn 6.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Amgot » Tue May 18, 2010 8:23 am

Carl Myers wrote:

Not a bug, you may be placing the interdiction during the good air of turn 5 but the interdiction will be executed during the bad air of turn 6.

I had thought about that but ended up deciding it was a bug anyway - gave me a good excuse for getting my ass kicked by JSS! ;)
Amgot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Next

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion