VP's and rivers.

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

VP's and rivers.

Postby cerebus » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:04 am

A couple of questions which have been bothering me.

1) Do you receive VP's for units you keep alive?

2) Rivers. What determines whether a unit can cross a river or not? Surely if I've blown the bridge then tracked or wheeled units cannot get across, yet this doesn't always seem to be the case.

Oh yes, a tip for beginners from a not quite beginner. Its " retreat over bridge THEN blow up bridge". :oops:
cerebus
Private
Private

Postby Carl Myers » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:28 am

1. No.
2. There are major and minor rivers. And there are units with two different movement modes.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: VP's and rivers.

Postby critter » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:31 pm

cerebus wrote:A couple of questions which have been bothering me.

1) Do you receive VP's for units you keep alive?

2) Rivers. What determines whether a unit can cross a river or not? Surely if I've blown the bridge then tracked or wheeled units cannot get across, yet this doesn't always seem to be the case.

Oh yes, a tip for beginners from a not quite beginner. Its " retreat over bridge THEN blow up bridge". :oops:

Carl cruelly taughy me about rivers in a KP game. Right click a unit. If it shows Leg /Truck in it's movement type, it can cross rivers
critter
Major
Major

Postby cerebus » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:00 am

Ok, got the leg/truck thingy, but apart from bigger fish whats the difference between major and minor rivers? Can some units cross one but not the other? Are major rivers impassable apart from at bridges. And whats the easiest way of telling the two river types apart

Ta for the quick reply btw.
cerebus
Private
Private

Postby JSS » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:45 am

cerebus wrote: ...whats the difference between major and minor rivers?

Attacking across, moving across, putting supply across, and zone of control/hex control on other side of river are all affected strongly by type of river.

A major river implies that it cannot be easily crossed. i.e. its wide and deep, not easy to conduct operations on both sides of it without a bridge or good fording site.

Normally a minor river has less restrictions/impacts and can be crossed without a bridge being in place.

...And whats the easiest way of telling the two river types apart

Here's a quick run thru how to tell major vs minor river:

1. (map graphic) In the main BiN campaign map you can distinguish the type of river by how its painted. Picture below highlites how you can tell by looking at width of map picture. This way is based on map creator detail and changes between map sets.

2. (game info) Right clicking on hex (56,49), Pont d'Ouilly, shows there is a major river hexside to the Northeast and a minor river hexside to the South of the town. Note how the game displays river hexsides as heavy line/dark blue for major river and thin line/light blue for minor rivers. This right click display is the same for all map sets (i.e. its part of the game, not an editor/scenario creator controlled display).

Can some units cross one but not the other? Are major rivers impassable apart from at bridges.

Here's how to tell for sure if a type of unit can cross a river without a bridge. Good and bad weather ground conditions have different answers.

In the main game window, click on the terrain data/CRT button.

Here's a look at the screen you see next. Click on river hexside value button; this brings the river crossing movement costs (in OPs to cross river). There's a pair of values listed for both good ground conditions (dry) and bad ground conitions (mud). In each ground condition column, the listing on the left is minor river crossing OP costs and the value on the right is the major river crossing costs. Where you see an "*", it means that type of unit cannot cross without a bridge. So, in the main BiN scenario, only leg type units can cross a major river without a bridge.

Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby cerebus » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:45 am

Perfect, that has cleared it up completely. Thanks alot JSS for taking the time to explain it so clearly.

Looking at the terrain/CRT screen reminds me of another query I had. Why are there two terrain descriptions (one either side of the hex graphic)? Some are the same ie: Marsh Marsh, whereas some are different ie: Wooded Bocage: Bocage.
cerebus
Private
Private

Postby JSS » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:27 am

cerebus wrote:Looking at the terrain/CRT screen reminds me of another query I had. Why are there two terrain descriptions (one either side of the hex graphic)? Some are the same ie: Marsh Marsh, whereas some are different ie: Wooded Bocage: Bocage.

The column on the lefthand side is terrain type (correspondes to specific terrain data like move costs, combat factors, etc...).

The column on the righthand side is the CRT used for that terrain type. So you can where see the same CRT is used for more than one terrain type.
Current PBEM Games
1. Sealion (Air Parity) t11 out

JSS
Site Admin

Postby cerebus » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:45 am

Now why didn't I think of that. Thanks JSS.
cerebus
Private
Private

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion