Advice for German player

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Advice for German player

Postby flick » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:48 am

Okay, so I am playing the 'D-Day to paris' scenario and I'm just wandering if their are any tips for the german player?

I'm all ready daunted by the massive advantages the allies have in supply, units, and logistics..

So I'm thinking of pulling out of the Cherbourg peninsula as early as possible, leaving a few expendable units to slow down the allied advance. With these units I can bolster Caratan and make a strong line from there to lessay.

One reason why I'm doing this, is because I want to try something different from what happend historically, make this campaign more interesting.
The other reason is that I can see the peninsula being slowly (and inevitably) taken over by the allies if I don't try something different.

What do you guys think of the plan?
flick
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Joe » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:59 pm

The allied troops on the Cherbourg peninsula, are in "yellow" supply until Cherbourg falls.

"X" turns after Cherbourg falls the allies on the peninsulaa receive "green" supply.

I never figured out the value of "X".

The German player needs to hold Cherbourg as long as possible but at the same time form a defensive line from Carentan to the West coast.

And you never seem to have enough troops to do everything :(

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Advice for German player

Postby Talos » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:14 pm

flick wrote:Okay, so I am playing the 'D-Day to paris' scenario and I'm just wandering if their are any tips for the german player?

I'm all ready daunted by the massive advantages the allies have in supply, units, and logistics..

So I'm thinking of pulling out of the Cherbourg peninsula as early as possible, leaving a few expendable units to slow down the allied advance. With these units I can bolster Caratan and make a strong line from there to lessay.

One reason why I'm doing this, is because I want to try something different from what happend historically, make this campaign more interesting.
The other reason is that I can see the peninsula being slowly (and inevitably) taken over by the allies if I don't try something different.

What do you guys think of the plan?

Some general Tips

Preserve your units, in the shorter scenario its not an issue, in the longer one it is. In addition destroy allied units, if you can't don't bother attacking unless there is some major strategic advantage in doing so.

Against the BC forces try and push them back across the Orne. Against the Americans just basically digin and hold on as long as possible. Your Cherbourg Strategy is one i generally use when playing this scenario.
Talos
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby flick » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:31 am

So you're agreeing with my plan to abandon Cherborg? I'll tell you how it goes!

Plan B ) If I descide to hold onto the penisula as long as possible. I'm thinking of taking panzer Leher or all my paratroopers and trying to get some elite units into the penisula.

I can do nothing except local counter attacks with the 91st and ost battalions, Leher or the combined paratroopers could actually do some damage. Although there is a very good chance of eventually losing those units.

Have you guys tried anything like that? That's the great thing about this game, it's flexible and stable all at the same time.
flick
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:31 am

I would suggest trying to keep only one or two roads at the far western end of the beginning of the peninsula open for supply. You don't need much more than that. You could try holding on to the urban areas that give you points, there is enough good defensive terrain the flanks like a few rivers and a few forested hexes, but keep in mind that there's a fine road between Gennetot and Barneville too. A better road than through the urban areas with their names on the map, in fact.

The combined might of the SS can easily destroy a few Commonwealth divisions in open ground in the eastern part of the scenario, but in the western part you'll need every regiment you have at two different spots at the same time.

Also try not to underestimate the power of independent units. The French tank units are actually somewhat overpowered when taking the quality of the equipment into consideration.

As always, StuGs are a German infantryman's best friend.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion