Amphibous landings

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Amphibous landings

Postby whiteladder » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:33 am

Ok I have just started playing the game,

This may just be a really obvious question:

To make a amphibous landing do the beaches first have to be clear of the blue circles with a black soldier (is this the symbol for a adetachement?) using naval gunfire? Is that the only way to clear the hexes of these symbols?
whiteladder
New Recruit

Postby Carl Myers » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:22 am

To make a amphibous landing do the beaches first have to be clear of the blue circles with a black soldier (is this the symbol for a adetachement?) using naval gunfire?

For you to land units in a beach hex, the fortification in the hex must be destroyed.

Is that the only way to clear the hexes of these symbols?

Once you have landed a British division or an American division with an engineer or ranger unt, these units usually can overrun adjacent 1 step fortifications.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Strong pts

Postby critter » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:16 am

The round ones are stong points and the square ones are Coastal Forts.
Some of them rebuild their losses and some don't
Yes you must remove them ( clear the hex) by naval gun fire. Or by attacks from units landed already.
Read Gregor's articles in the Article section on the main page. Best way to hit the beaches I've seen...
critter
Major
Major

Postby Joe » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:30 am

The other way to destro the strong points is to attack with naval bombardment.

-
Joe
Colonel
Colonel

Postby whiteladder » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:30 pm

Thanks for the replys, I thought that was the case, but wanted to double check.

I playing the Overlord campaign, I struggling to make any headway on the Cherbourg penisular. What is a reasonable number of turns to expect to capture Cherbourg?
whiteladder
New Recruit

Postby critter » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:04 am

I playing the Overlord campaign, I struggling to make any headway on the Cherbourg penisular. What is a reasonable number of turns to expect to capture Cherbourg?

Depends on how much the defender is willing to write off in It's defense.
Objectives are...
1) Cut the Carentan roads and use low odds attacks and air intradiction to force the Germans out. This will allow you to take replacements at Utah beach.
2) Then drive West to the coast to cut Cherbourg off from regular supply.
3) Then head North with 2 Inf div's and the 82 AB. Plus 2-3 Tank batts and Eng units.
If he defends South of the city use an Air int and put him out of supply with low odd attacks. Try and spread him out and force units through the gaps . I send 2 eng units up the East side to open the roads and clear the mine fields
If he holes up in it. Slam your way through and try to get a unit next to his supply source. This will cut all his units off.
Don't forget to use your BB's and CA's to help intradict the road hexes. Try and include a tank and an "elite" unit in each attack possible
critter
Major
Major

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion