Extraordinary situation....

Discussion relating to Battles in Normandy

Moderators: AlexS, Run5 Staff, SSG Staff

Extraordinary situation....

Postby falco » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:24 pm

Anybody ever played the full 'Overlord/On To Paris' scenario as Germans where your opponent has destroyed every single unit you possess but you didn't actually end up losing?

I can now claim that rare (I think) distinction.

Have just finished a game of 'On To Paris' against Telefaber. As Germans I had the Allies well and truly contained for at least a good 2/3rds of the battle. However an oversight on my part left Cherbourg briefly unoccupied (a FATAL mistake), which my opponent immediately rectified. As I attempted to retake Cherbourg, I opened up several gaps in my lines which let some American armour through the carentan area.

This led to nearly all the units between Carentan & Cherbourg becoming isolated which started a chain of events that eventually led to the collapse of the entire German line. From a very secure position, the German front disintegrated into full retreat and from there it imploded into total annhilation in a matter of about 10 turns. I dont think I've ever played a game of BIN where the situation changed so quickly....and I've played BIN a lot.

Anyway, we called it a draw at about the 67th turn which the Germans were winning by about 3000 points but with no more changes the Allies would have won by about 300 points - effectively a draw!

Truly extraordinary I think!
- falco.
Image Image Image Image
falco
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Roger Keating » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:38 am

This really sounds like an AAR opportunity.. I would certainly like to read a more complete post of the battle.
Roger Keating
SSG

Postby Iberian » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:59 am

Yes, if you got the time, it would be a great idea to make an AAR. It sounds really amazing.
Iberian
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abwehr » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:01 pm

The situation you describe isn't impossible, as the game is about points and not about units after all, but it does sound like it would make an awesome AAR.
Abwehr
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SS Hauptsturmfuhrer » Wed May 27, 2009 6:18 pm

Ya sounds like a fun game. Maybe you are using a Sun Tsu principle of winning a battle without fighting.

I think you can still win or lose a battle from attrition cause the VPs from destroyed units can get hectic in violent fights. I've had a couple where the unit VPs totally overwhelmed the VPs from locations.

Do people still play this OTP scenario?
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
Sergeant
Sergeant

OTP

Postby critter » Wed May 27, 2009 7:38 pm

Yeah..We play OTP all the time. It's just a matter of having the same patches loaded. It's tougher at Omaha and the German 319th div is back on the channel Islands. Haven't played the H2H pro German version yet.
But vs AI it keeps the German Army together alott longer..
We gonna finish our BIN game?
critter
Major
Major

Postby SS Hauptsturmfuhrer » Wed May 27, 2009 11:31 pm

I sent you the next turn. My SS shot-up your troops again but you are gaining better positions.
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Damn SS

Postby critter » Sat May 30, 2009 12:35 pm

Yeah you hammered my Red Devils. They landed way to far East
Your putting the Lehr boys in with the 21rst and the 12 SS was unanticipated. Monty had to eat humble pie when you bitch slapped me away from the river bridgeheads.
But British units are deep in the heg rows at Tilly and took Bayuex with out a fight on turn 2.
Your 352 div is nearly surrounded and the US 2nd Armor can hear the church bells at Carentan. Meanwhile the 4th div raids the wine cellers on the out skirts of St Savoir.
Monty's dug in 3-4 high and awaits another lesson in German tank tactics.
While 30 corps and the Omaha boys roll on. Haven't seen a German for days. Turns sent. :twisted: Herr Hauptsturmfuhrer
critter
Major
Major

Postby SS Hauptsturmfuhrer » Sat May 30, 2009 4:13 pm

Don't worry we'll arrange an asswhooping for the Americans too so they don't feel left out. You say you haven't seen any Germans for days... are you sure you didn't land in Spain? My troops are probably making their way down to the beaches to eat some MREs.
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Carl Myers » Sat May 30, 2009 4:33 pm

My troops are probably making their way down to the beaches to eat some MREs.

Doubtful, MRE's won't be available for 4 decades. Giving POW's C-ration ham and lima beans probably would be considered a war crime.
Carl Myers
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel

Return to Battles in Normandy Public Discussion